1. BeastMode6

BeastMode6 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Still not taking the risk, sorry.

OPL needs to be updated to support SMBv2 at minimum.

2. uyjulian

uyjulian Homebrewer

United States
    Not going to happen because Samba takes too much RAM.

I'd like to get udpbd working, which is a much lighter weight alternative to SMB. Currently, it works standalone, but not when used with the IOP core of Open PS2 loader.

3. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

United States
    Why not use a wired Ethernet connection between the PC and the PS2? I doubt anyone's going to break into your house to intercept and steal PS2 ISOs being transferred over the network.

4. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Presumably the concern is that you still have to have the server running on your Windows PC, so someone malicious elsewhere on the Internet could exploit it somehow.

5. BeastMode6

BeastMode6 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    That would also be acceptable.

My PS2 isn’t next to my computer, it’s on my network which is connected to the internet.

6. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    Considering I've never had any luck to get FreeMcBoot or FreeHDboot to load anything but itself (every attempt to read any of my backed up library has been steadfastly ignored), I don't see how this would really help me, either. Unless somehow FMCB/FHDB also implement this into their next major release as well. As it is, FHDB flat out won't work as long as my modchip is enabled on my personal PS2. Unfortunately, the hard drive I was trying to set up FHDB on for my wife's (non-modded) PS2 died because of a faulty freakin' adapter dock. :cry: Can't really find PATA hard drives anymore that work, much less one big enough to be useful; there's also the aggravating reality that basically every WD hard drive is spaced just far enough apart to actively refuse to work with a stock PS2 network adapter.

7. TomTalker

TomTalker Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    It's been time for this, my friend. New exploit after many, many years!

8. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    No because the PS2 is USB 1.1.

9. xdarkmario

xdarkmario Philosopher

United States
    you can also use this to redundantly load up a exploit game and make your own freeMCboot

10. Shalashaska98

Shalashaska98 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Does this work on PS4?

11. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

United States
    Why load an exploit game instead of *LaunchELF? Sounds like a way to make the process more difficult artificially.

xdarkmario likes this.
  12. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

United States
    For anyone who thinks this may work on PS3 or PS4 In the future, it won’t do much if it did as modern devices have mitigation against simple buffer overflow exploits like this and would require much more work to get it to work.

The PS2 does not feature modern mitigation technologies such as ASLR, Hypervisors, and NX Bit so a buffer overflow exploit opens the whole system up without needing to other exploits to bypass the above protections.

Without a privilege escalation exploit you may at best get a HEN (Hoembrew Enabler) out of the deal if anything at all.

The PS1 on the other hand, exploiting the CD Player functionality and possibly the VCD Playback functionality for those rare VCD systems out there could be viable since it’s only protection mechanism is the SCE(A,E,J) wobble data pressed into the disc.

the original Xbox would be a good target as well since it lacks modern mitigation techniques and has a DVD player app that I doubt was throughly vetted for any potential bugs or coding errors since all it did was play DVD movies.

Last edited by driverdis, Jul 2, 2020
  13. Sheimi

Sheimi A cute Vixen!

United States
    Phat models have a HD slot.

14. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

United States
    Ok, but the question that person was responding to was about USB loading over the USB 1.1 ports on the system. Hard Disk loading is something else entirely, and is arguably the best method to play backups on PS2.

alexander1970 likes this.
  15. Sneethan

Sneethan GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Why did i sell my ps2....

16. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Maybe 20 years ago, these days you're likely connected to the internet behind a nat router and the SMB port isn't forwarded.

ps3netsrv support in OPL would be pretty cool though.

You would need the xbox dvd playback kit, maybe someone could figure out how to spoof that though.

Last edited by smf, Jul 3, 2020
    Ryccardo likes this.
  17. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

United States
    the Xbox DVD playback kit receiver will always be required as it essentially is a hardware DRM key. Good news is that they are cheap to buy used so I don’t see that being much of an issue.

alexander1970 likes this.
  18. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Sweden
    Dude it just got announced for PS2. It's probably a while before anyone might getting working on the PS4 and that's highly unlikely.

Shalashaska98 and alexander1970 like this.
  19. wiiando

wiiando GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Like another 20 years :rofl2:

20. xxNathanxx

xxNathanxx GBAtemp Fan

New Caledonia
    Ha, nice to see some others with one of these long unhackable PX300's. Technically the Fortuna exploit that was released a couple of months ago was the first to crack the PX300, but it still required you to already have a memory card with the exploit on it, and you can't put it on there without an entry point (or another already hacked PS2). I noticed someone on eBay recently started selling memory cards with Fortuna preinstalled, though.

Unfortunately, apparently the PS2 can't read DVD-RW discs, and I don't have any DVD-R's on hand, so I still can't hack my PS2 TV.

By the way, would you believe me if I told you this is the TV I use for everything? The picture and sound quality are great, the bolted-on PS2 looks hilarious (I added a PocketStation inside one of the memory card slots as a finishing touch), and it has ports for everything! The only thing I sadly can't get to work is DLNA (on the TV itself), it sees my network drives, but it doesn't see any files.

kumikochan likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - PlayStation, FreeDVDBoot, exploit