playstays_shun GBAtemp Fan

United States
    dual IPS N3DS (non XL, but have one too) is pure bliss

SS4 likes this.
  2. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    My answers are in order

1) A possible 7.02 jailbreak is probably the best out of the three to get access to December 2019 games and below.
    2) Flawless 3DS on the switch would be amazing to have
    3) The DVD Trick on the PS2 isn't essential or needed because we have better meathods such as free mcboot. Also this trick work on certain DVD Drives

3. playstays_shun

United States
    self booting burnt discs on unmodded PS2's is a serious technical achievement. Whether you need it or not is another thing, but ...

Now any one can create FMCB memory cards, not just from eBay or already modded systems. The barrier to entry just got lifted even more

how it exploits DVD player or whatever ( I suck at fully understanding how to articulate it from the MVG video) is neat

--

there was a period of time PS2 required mod chips AND swap disks in tandem if my rusty memory serves

Last edited by playstays_shun, Jul 17, 2020
    cvskid likes this.
  4. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    It's for pushing the device to it's limits and capabilities. 3DS on switch seams feasible and makes alot of sense I'm kinda surprised why Nintendo didn't make the switch BC with the 3DS. I have a 3DS but it would be nice to have 100% full speed of the DS and 3DS on the switch this would be Amazing.

The problem is the dev released it too late. Nobody reall has a PS2 unless they buy one online and 9/10 times they are going to buy a free mcboot memory card for $10. (Well that's what I did)

5. nikeymikey

nikeymikey This is now a Spiderman thread.........

United Kingdom
    The full PS4 6.72 jailbreak exploit has been released, also RDR 2 has already been dumped...... :)

6. Lodad

Lodad GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Super excited about Citra! VR mode would be super dope!

Also I had the hackable PS4 firmware until yesterday. I'm so far removed from my PSP softmod days I cried a little inside, but I mostly felt disinterested in the prospect of an exploit for PS4. I like fiddling around on Path of Exile and use my PS4 for video streaming and dick around with PS Plus games so I didn't really want to forego that for homebrew or warez.

Edit to reply:

I was rooting for them to make some kind of compatibility for 3DS à la the GCN Game Boy Player, dream was a hardware revision or a 3DS/DS card reader add-on that would also include a VC re-debut with a big library (but they went the "Virtual Console As-A-Service" model with the online membership requirement). I'll take a homebrew solution for 3DS any day though! Like I said before, VR would be sweet if you could still implement second screen somehow without straining your eyes.

Last edited by Lodad, Jul 18, 2020
  7. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    2 definitely is the best one, why?

In some parts of the World is hard to find a PS2 that's not chipped.

The old 2DS can play most 3DS games and is still quite cheap. That will change in the future but for now? Get one, add Luma to it and have fun!

Now the PS4.... I want to hack one quite badly but sadly quarantine happened and I can't get even a basic one because of money dear boy.

Oh and there is already a hack for European PS2s that only needs the demo disk many of them came with.

Is that's based on the 3DS 3D mode? Because if it is then it may be bad for you.

Last edited by raxadian, Jul 18, 2020
  8. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Number one is the only one that interests me.

9. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

United States
    have a ps4 pro on 5.05 I couldn't unload, so looking forward to just using it.

Super excited about citra 3ds and freeboot.

10. momin

momin GBAtemp Regular

For 2027 we have n64 and GC.

11. tranceology3

tranceology3 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Reminds me of the Dreamcast. Man was it a great time back in 2000 and just burning a backup and playing on the Dreamcast with no other tools.

12. GuyInDogSuit

GuyInDogSuit Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.

United States
    But.... Citra's an emulator, not a console hack?

13. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    Considering I never was able to get freemcboot (or freeHDboot for that matter) to actually load anything meaningful, I don't have a whole lot of optimism for freeDVDboot. Especially because of my prior experience and knowing how frustratingly frequent that most PS2's lose their optical drive first to "go wrong" after any amount of time.

Citra on Switch would be hype, if I was able to run it. Still waiting for something for my mariko switch on 8.0.1; that's what it had from the first power on, and I've made a point of not even letting it online. But still haven't seen squat I can do. Being broke has forced me to be more patient than I care to admit. :ph34r:But I'd still hope to have something going for it, by the time No More Heroes 3 is out.

My experience with Sony consoles being what it is, I'd have to be in a really loony mood to ever own a PS4. Heck, even if they weren't so horrifically unreliable, playing on my brother-in-law's system just made me realize how awful the PS4 controller feels compared to even the PS3 one. Of the two current generation systems in that regard, the Xbox One controller is just much more palatable to use for me. On the odd chance it is possible to use an Xbone controller on the PS4 though, maybe worth a try then for the LULZ.

14. playstays_shun

United States
    ^ I use an elite controller with brook adapter to my ps4 pro using a USB port

it’s great for FPS Games imo and I don’t notice lag

15. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

United States
    While the ps2 freeboot is awesome, it shouldn't be overlooked that this could allow for other consoles to be hacked in a similar manner. The developer said current disc-based systems still use similar structures. So, could be the first step to unlocking ALL the things...though probably not. but maybe?

Even if it doesn't, It'll be nice to play psx/ps2 games on native hardware.

Tarmfot likes this.
  16. Prans

OP Prans Geek, gamer, human
    Senior Editor

I believe that the dev is working on supporting Citra in VR via the Labo kit and is even functional in the WIP version of the port (available via Patreon).

Lodad likes this.
  17. SkyQueen

SkyQueen Arch3DS Developer || B0MBrHax
    Developer

Japan
    I'm honestly super excited for all of these :)

Prans and shaunj66 like this.
  18. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    That moment when you can't talk about SX stuff, because of the shady practices of its makers, so you replace it with an emulator.

I see no other reason why Citra is included as a "console hack" as opposed to an actual modchip. As fine as I am without using anything SX for probably the rest of my life, this is just weird. Though, if it was put like this to piss off someone in particular and I just don't get the joke, I appreciate that.

Last edited by Axido, Jul 18, 2020
    Goku1992A likes this.
  19. Trash_Bandatcoot

Trash_Bandatcoot Your Local Random Internet Geek

Netherlands
    The fact that the Switch can run 3DS games - potentially at full speeds - is amazing, and I can't wait to see where this is heading out to.

20. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - promising, console, hacks