Akira Toriyama, creator of Dragon Ball, and artist for Dragon Quest, has passed away

Untitled.png

Famous and beloved manga creator Akira Toriyama has passed away at the age of 68. According to an official blog post made by Bird Studio--Toriyama's manga company--he passed away on March 1st, of an acute subdural hematoma. He was known for a wide variety of works, most notably as the creator of the Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump manga series, and having an influential affect on the industry. Toriyama also contributed as an art director and character designer for video games such as the Dragon Quest Series, Chrono Trigger, Blue Dragon, and more. He had several projects both announced and unannounced that he was currently working on, including the anime Dragon Ball Daima, and a video game based on a manga series, Sand Land.

:arrow: Source

17hitcombooo

Officer Balls.... BWAAHAHAHAH
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is very heartbreaking. dragon ball is one of the main reasons i got into anime and manga. hard to believe that he died so young and so sudden, he had alot of projects in the works too. rest in peace, sensei. you and your works of art will never be forgotten.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is very heartbreaking. dragon ball is one of the main reasons i got into anime and manga. hard to believe that he died so young and so sudden, he had alot of projects in the works too. rest in peace, sensei. you and your works of art will never be forgotten.
When Dragon Ball Daima airs (I'll probably download a subbed episode via torrent, tbh) I won't be smiling and the feeling of being hyped is also gone.

TOEI will probably milk the DB franchise to death, but at a certain point it'll die with Mr. Toriyama.

And when they replace Masako Nozawa, I'm not gonna bother. She's Goku, Gohan, Goten... The Son family.

• Sad
Reactions: Mike_77712

Quore

Racing Games Enjoyer
Trophies
Website
music.youtube.com
XP
Country
Brazil
I really hope he can rest in good peace

I remember singing the DBGT opening when i was in elementary school with some other kiddos...
This and other moments with DB, all of them were great

Reactions: CoolMe

17hitcombooo

Officer Balls.... BWAAHAHAHAH
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has Masako Nozawa made a statement about Toriyama?

This year isn't going too well 😕
"I don't want to believe it. My head is empty because I don't want to think about it. Even so, every time I see Goku, I remember what Toriyama Sensei said to me, 'You will take care of Goku, won't you?' I cherish that moment. It makes me think: 'I will stay by Goku's side until my strength runs out completely'. Sensei, please watch over us from the heavens. We hope you depart in peace."
-
Masako Nozawa

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I openly hate more than a few people on this thread.

I hate you less because you love what I love. I might hate everything else about you, but, you were right to love all things Dragon Ball and Toriyama.

I was even going to be nice to you today, but... there aren't Dragon Balls strong enough to wish for that.

My point being, enemy or friend, we are connected by our mutual admiration, love, respect and dedication to the works of this amazing man. Anyone who loves DBZ as much as I do can't be a TOTAL cunt.

And I think that's what Toriyama-sensei would have wanted. Goku was the originator of turning enemies into friends, way before Naruto made it his prime jutsu.

I can't totally hate anyone who loves Dragon Ball.
just saw this on FB, almost wanted to cry the moment i saw it
View attachment 424688
I didn't cry until I saw this.

Fuuuuck.

Dam broken, floodgates open.

• Love
Reactions: CoolMe

Tuhr

Doctor Spaceballs
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Defined by his art and it speaks for itself, pictures say thousands of words. Reminds me of when Jim Henson died, my condolences to his family and loved ones.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RIP. Although, I never heard of his name, his works of arts have been consumed and enjoyed by multiple generations of kids who grew up still embracing it into their adulthood to this day only to pass it down to their offspring and new generations of loved ones to cherish...
If you can hear me up there, Mr. Akira Toriyama, could you send my well wishes to Mr. Koichi Sugiyama, will you 😁

Reactions: Tuhr and Marc_LFD

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I remember for instance when Master Roshi got nose bleeding when he saw pretty women. Oolong the Pig shapeshifting into Bulma dressed as feminine Playboy Bunny,Krillin showing nude women magazine in Dragon Ball Z.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

MPRTwice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This death was mentioned to someone where I work in the medical field, and he said well, that's one less idiot in the world. I sure hope not all doctors are like American ones. What an interestingly vile thing to say.

He was _smiling_ when he said it too, as if it gave him some sort of pleasure.​

Last edited by MPRTwice,

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
TOEI will be more or less free to milk the shit out of Dragon Ball now that Toriyama is gone.

Once Masako Nozawa the voice of Goku is gone, I'm done with the DB franchise (I'll still enjoy it, but only older releases).

I personally didn't like the Super series it just wasn't very interesting, IMO. Great for new gen kids, though.
DB Super completely ruined the continuity of the franchise. DB GT was much better in that regard... And I'm afraid Daima is gonna be even worse, and that's probably just the beginning of this now.

Payne

Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
This death was mentioned to someone where I work in the medical field, and he said well, that's one less idiot in the world. I sure hope not all doctors are like American ones. What an interestingly vile thing to say.

He was _smiling_ when he said it too, as if it gave him some sort of pleasure.​

Now that's just disturbing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: it was also the only game I played