Akira Toriyama, creator of Dragon Ball, and artist for Dragon Quest, has passed away

Untitled.png

Famous and beloved manga creator Akira Toriyama has passed away at the age of 68. According to an official blog post made by Bird Studio--Toriyama's manga company--he passed away on March 1st, of an acute subdural hematoma. He was known for a wide variety of works, most notably as the creator of the Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump manga series, and having an influential affect on the industry. Toriyama also contributed as an art director and character designer for video games such as the Dragon Quest Series, Chrono Trigger, Blue Dragon, and more. He had several projects both announced and unannounced that he was currently working on, including the anime Dragon Ball Daima, and a video game based on a manga series, Sand Land.

:arrow: Source

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am actually fucking sad! This dude is the whole reason why I am into anime! He's the reason why I love JRPGs! He made my childhood! This is actually heartbreaking!:cry:

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sad news indeed though I'm getting a 404 page on the source.

Working now must be having connections issues this man won't be forgotten.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The page appears to be getting hammered by lots of people atm. It's just the same message posted to Twitter, from the OP.
View attachment 424500
Yeah figured it was that at the start kind of hoping it was a sick hoax or misinformation someone gave them, 40 years later and DragonBall is still loved by millions. Sad to see him go.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I do have respect for everything Toriyama did for anime, and that both Dragon Ball and Quest became major franchises in part due to his work, so Rest in Peace, Toriyama.

...I just don't personally like his art style; too out there, with the large eyes and stuff. In terms of anime, I much prefer My Hero Academia's art style, or Pokémon's classic art style (the only two anime I've ever watched).

Reactions: CoolMe

Spectremint

Trophies
Website
spectremint.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Eiichiro Oda, the creator of One Piece, released a response to his passing, ending it with the sentence, "May heaven be the joyous world he envisioned."
Powerful words.

Not only is he responsible for creating such incredible works in Japan, but those works completely revolutionized and changed anime forever outside of the country. Heck, FUNimation was founded with the express intent to dub the original Dragon Ball for the west, and the franchise as a whole is effectively an icon in Latin American countries. His works were powerful, and I wish his family well during these times.

RIP to an absolute legend.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto