Hacking Smash Bros header? Works online but not with my header...

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Could it be related to that mandatory online patch that somehow read the first ID and then gives out an error when you change it? Did you wipe clean any trace of smash data / save file on your system and tried with the new header right off the bat?

gigio2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Could it be related to that mandatory online patch that somehow read the first ID and then gives out an error when you change it? Did you wipe clean any trace of smash data / save file on your system and tried with the new header right off the bat?
nah, i downloaded the patch before even having the game on my microSD, then I downloaded the game itself I played one time without online, then i remembered that you need to import a header to go online, then i imported my header directly to the microSD, and then I played online normally

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
nah, i downloaded the patch before even having the game on my microSD, after I downloaded the game itself I played one time without online, then i remembered that you need to import a header to go online, then i imported my header directly to the microSD, and then I played online normally

oh cool, that is great! thank you, ok so, do you mind opening up your rom in the rom patcher 0.6 so i can see what chip manufacturer and chip id you are using?
haha, it's funny, i thought nintendo maybe blocked us from using other headers, and you thought nintendo blocked up from playing this game with gateway :D
and we both proved each other wrong, thanks buddy :)

Reactions: gigio2000

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu

i found that when i load using a different cart id in the header id, it will warn me that the save data is corrupt, i thought that would be enough to start again, as long as nothing is linked etc...

if it was made that you coudl not go online with a different cart id after being linked to another one, that would mean you were not able to have two physical games, as only one would work online.

so.. ok, i'm glad that it seems that i will be able to use my header.. i didn't want to start the game yet since i would lose my progress when i turn over to my header.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
extra data in the rom that lets you go online

GW gave you a shout out in their latest video. All the flashcard companies lurk here too much :)

Attachments

• shout out.JPG
    shout out.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 341
Reactions: y03usw6e

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Ha, ha Cearp got a shout out from Gateway I didnt even notice at first, who's Gateways little teachers pet! :lol: No that's well cool!!!, big ups Cearp! :)

Reactions: cearp

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just keep it as .3ds it makes no difference unless you have a japanese 3ds you won't be able to play it online anyway. Upto you though.

Rurounik9999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
yeah, first of all i did what i usually do, apply the header with gateway rom patcher 0.6, a header i have dumped from my own pokemon cart.
the program reads the rom and tries to fix the chip id (the bit which differs depening on if the game is card 1 or 2, and what size the game is) .
the chip id needs to be fixed since most probably, it is different to the header.bin that i am importing in.

anyway, i let the program fix the header stuff for me but the chip id generated was slightly different to the chip id that was present in the downloaded rom (the one with the header that works online) it is different by 1 value.

the cart id (the long unique value), is completely separate from the chip manufacturer and the chip id??
you are right, i may be doing something wrong, but i'm pretty sure i'm not...

- yeah, i understand that if i just want to play online i can use the header that came with it, but, up until now, we have been able to use any header for a game. it is technically possible that nintendo could implement a white list, that the game will only go online using certain cart ids (only ones from smash bros games) - i'm not saying that is how it is, just how it might be... since i can't get this to work

Don't defrag your Micro SD. It can damage your card.
I had the same problem, just followed some tips from other users and went fine.

Delete your Smash Rom from you Micro SD.
Open the RAR file and drop direclty from the RAR to your micro SD, don't drop it on desktop or another folder, just do it directly onto your micro sd card.
Works fine here.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The ROM everyone got was a .3DS one though, should I just rename it to .3DZ and it'll be good?
Just keep it as .3ds it makes no difference unless you have a japanese 3ds you won't be able to play it online anyway. Upto you though.
It may make a difference, if the eShop 1.1 release is dumped for everyone to use. Then people who already had their their ROMs as .3dz could just inject the header into the new ROM and be able to play online. Or alternatively when the EU/US release is dumped, we might be able to reuse our saves by injecting the JP header into the EU/US ROM (no guarantees on whether the game will accept the JP save though)

Reactions: Nepeta

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It may make a difference, if the eShop 1.1 release is dumped for everyone to use. Then people who already had their their ROMs as .3dz could just inject the header into the new ROM and be able to play online. Or alternatively when the EU/US release is dumped, we might be able to reuse our saves by injecting the JP header into the EU/US ROM (no guarantees on whether the game will accept the JP save though)
I doubt that your save would be compatible with a different ROM, even if it has the same header.

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt that your save would be compatible with a different ROM, even if it has the same header.

There are 1 or 2 games that work with out of region saves, but i think theyre the exception and not the rule.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsG-jJcrlr0