Hacking DEAD [Shutdown]DragonInjector - Game Cart Payload Injector (Trinket M0 Clone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CameronCataclysm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome render! I'd say your tweaking of skills is paying off! Quick question, will the USB-C end be sticking out of the unit?
Diodes should be arriving tomorrow, then once I figure out which ones work best I'll submit the order for 525 DIs. Once they arrive, I'll get the tester units assembled first and ship them off to testers, after which I'll finish assembling the rest.

Until then, I've been practicing my 3D modelling skills. Render of the final revision attached!

4K at source.

View attachment 172546

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Can I get my card is super bright pink? ;)
Also, can I ask for a USB-C female port? Since I noticed these male ports sticking out breaks super fast if not extra secured with something on top of it.

Last edited by linuxares,

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
Can I get my card is super bright pink? ;)
Also, can I ask for a USB-C female port? Since I noticed these male ports sticking out breaks super fast if not extra secured with something on top of it.

Pink and purple seem to be popular colors, if the first batch moves well and I can afford injection molding I'll make sure some pink and purple get made. :P

Regarding the male Type C plug, I think you might be surprised with how strong this one is. Typical Type C connectors only have the pins welded, along with some small support material on either side siilar in size to the pins. With the DI, the "support" for the connector is the entire casing of the plug, so it's far stronger than typical male Type C connectors. The part number is CX60-24S-UNIT if anyone is interested - it's the only Type C connector I could find anywhere that is designed to have the casing welded to the PCB for added strength.

Reactions: Garou and linuxares

CameronCataclysm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a cap that covers the connector and completes the game card form factor when the DI is not in use, so nothing will be sticking out. :P
I didn't think so but I wanted to be sure! Amazing effort on this. If more individuals (including myself) practiced way more at learning certain tech aspects we would see so many, many more great things. All about where you decide to put your interest an effort! Again, serious love for this project! Simply impressive. Thanks for updates when available!

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
Diodes arrived today, just did the swap on one of the test units.

IT WORKS! All hardware issues have been solved and are tested and working. Software-wise, flashing works, bootloader works and I have smaller payloads like SX's injecting nicely. Some awesome people are helping me squeeze the larger payloads down to fit. Likely some form compression will be implemented, making it nice and easy to get any payload to fit.

I'm going to swap the diodes on the rest of my tester units while my Switch is charging, then take a video of everything working.

So, before the end of the week I'll be submitting an order for 525 DIs to PCBWay. It'll take about a month for them to be made and shipped to my door, at which point I'll prep 25 for my testers and get them sent off priority. I'll keep assembling more as they spend a few days testing them out, and then I can start shipping them to everyone!

Also, if you're ever building your own board, pay attention to the spec sheet of your diodes! Even 0.5mA of reverse leakage current can be enough to ruin your day. Most diodes are skewed towards one of two use cases: low forward voltage, OR low reverse leakage current, not both! :P

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How much space will we have for payloads? I really only plan on using one, Atmosphere's fusee-primary. Any other payloads I use so rarely I'd just use my PC to send them.

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
How much space will we have for payloads? I really only plan on using one, Atmosphere's fusee-primary. Any other payloads I use so rarely I'd just use my PC to send them.
Depends how we go about it. We're thinking now that chainloaders might work better. So it'd be something like this:

Firmware 1 (default shipped): DI boots whatever .bin it finds first in /DragonInjector/ on your SD root. You could choose to use ArgonNX or the new Hekate or whatever you want in this manner.

Firmware 2 (optional): DI boots whatever .bin it finds first in /DragonInjector/Payload_1/ through /DragonInjector/Payload_8/. The folder selected would be determined by the Payload button on the DI itself, with the status LED blinking, for example, 3 times when you select the Payload_3 folder. I'd be programming in a way to set the maximum number of payloads (probably by holding the payload button) so if you only use 3 different payloads, you wouldn't have to cycle through all 8 slots.

stick267

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends how we go about it. We're thinking now that chainloaders might work better. So it'd be something like this:

Firmware 1 (default shipped): DI boots whatever .bin it finds first in /DragonInjector/ on your SD root. You could choose to use ArgonNX or the new Hekate or whatever you want in this manner.

Firmware 2 (optional): DI boots whatever .bin it finds first in /DragonInjector/Payload_1/ through /DragonInjector/Payload_8/. The folder selected would be determined by the Payload button on the DI itself, with the status LED blinking, for example, 3 times when you select the Payload_3 folder. I'd be programming in a way to set the maximum number of payloads (probably by holding the payload button) so if you only use 3 different payloads, you wouldn't have to cycle through all 8 slots.
Good idea with the multi-payload cycle. That's how the RCMLoader One works.

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
Is there going to be a risk of shorting something? What are the contacts going to do?
The contacts are not electrically connected to anything, and I've deliberately kept any traces completely out of the path of the slot pins. They are only there to look nice and so the pins don't wear down the PCB. The "trigger" pin that tells the Switch a game card has been inserted has also been separated from ground, so your Switch will have no idea anything is in the slot.

TL;DR - no risk to your Switch at all.

Reactions: ioann1s

Hacktendo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey everyone! I want to share a project I'm currently working on - a payload injector with the form factor of a Switch game cart!

As I seem to always forget to bring my phone, cable, OTG adapter or dongle with me, and I'm not a big fan of AutoRCM, I started thinking - wouldn't it be great if I could just store my jig and dongle inside my Switch? I don't really like the idea of opening my switch and soldering to it for warranty/resale reasons, and my card slot is always empty because, well, we live in the age of digital. Thus, DragonInjector was born.

View attachment 150266

So, what is it and what can it do?
- Stores your payload dongle inside your Switch game cart slot.
- Always have your RCM jig on you as it's stored in the cap.
- Inject your payload with a USB Type C connector so no adapters are needed.
- CR1216 power source good for 250+ injections.
- Forget it even exists until you need it.
- Easy access to the SWD and SWC pads so you can reprogram it for whatever you like, including non-Switch stuff.
- Switch between multiple payloads with the press of a button.
- Uses the same ATSAMD21 MCU as the Trinket M0.
- Open source upon release! (Creative Commons Share-Alike 4.0 License)

How far along is the project?
The latest prototype PCBs will be delivered this week. If the prototype works well, I'll post a video of it in action and get tester units sent out. (All tester positions are filled, sorry!)

When and where can I get one?
Once they're ready, I'll be selling them on tindie. A link to the product page will be put in my signature, and I'll make a post in the selling forums. I'll let everyone know when that happens. :)

Is there a place we can chat about the project or ask questions that aren't fit for this development thread?
Yes! There's a Discord server where I post progress, renders, photos, and other things quite often. You can find it here:

Shipping to my country is expensive. Can I arrange combined shipping with other buyers?
Channels have been added to the Discord server to help organize this. If your country is not listed, @ me there and I'll add it.

Thanks to everyone for all the support so far! I've honestly been blown away by the amount of interest this project has gotten since I first posted here and can't wait to deliver something great for you all. :D

View attachment 150320
What's the point of this? Use a game card slot for what it's for, GAMES!
Plus knowing it'll be more than an RCM loader, why bother?

RCMLoader and autorcm ftw.
What's the damn point?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the point of this? Use a game card slot for what it's for, GAMES!
Plus knowing it'll be more than an RCM loader, why bother?

RCMLoader and autorcm ftw.
What's the damn point?

Respect people's project, it is an one of a kind project that fit into the gamecard slot of a switch.

Hacktendo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Respect people's project, it is an one of a kind project that fit into the gamecard slot of a switch.
Again the cartridge slot is meant for games.
This is going to cost more than RCM loader so why even fucking bother?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Plus and RCM loader has a way better battery life than this, and it's small enough to carry around anywhere.
This is just pointless.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again the cartridge slot is meant for games.
This is going to cost more than RCM loader so why even fucking bother?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Plus and RCM loader has a way better battery life than this, and it's small enough to carry around anywhere.
This is just pointless.

Cause it is unique no need to be rude, these project are consider rare, all the RCMloader/NS Atmosphere dongle out there can't be fitted into a gamecard slot. Anyway go away, respect MatinatorX's work.

Hacktendo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cause it is unique no need to be rude, these project are consider rare, all the RCMloader/NS Atmosphere dongle out there can't be fitted into a gamecard slot. Anyway go away, respect MatinatorX's work.
What's the point of having it to be able to fit in the game card slot? Again that slot is meant for games..
not like you can shoot the payload through the game card slot you still have to plug it into the USB c port.
Useless product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Wake up, it's da first of da month
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: Wake up, it's da first of da month