Hacking DEAD [Shutdown]DragonInjector - Game Cart Payload Injector (Trinket M0 Clone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_Chad

Trophies
XP
Country
Final price will be $25 USD, had to raise it up $2 since I'm getting the boards made at PCBWay now (couldn't quite do the bga myself).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Renders of the final design and pictures and videos of it working will follow in the coming days. I expect to be ordering a batch of 525 of them within 2 weeks. Haven't decided yet if I should open backorders for the 525 boards at that point, since it's gonna cost me a bundle, but also... backorders. Unsure.

That's great seems a very reasonable price although not sure how well that will translate to GBP as well as international mailing? Either way i'm in :D

Mouser X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's great seems a very reasonable price although not sure how well that will translate to GBP as well as international mailing? Either way i'm in :D
I know there's people living in Europe (I don't remember who or where. I'm in USA) who want to set up a group, to save on international shipping. You can probably contact them on the Discord channel.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I hate to say it but, with all the months that passed, all the delays since this was first announced and now the possibilities to reboot into payload, remove SD while in Hekate, there's so little need for actually injecting a payload anymore that I completely lost interest in this. I basically only do it when updating system firmware. Even if the idea is great and it's very practical.

Reactions: thequickbrownfox

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I hate to say it but, with all the months that passed, all the delays since this was first announced and now the possibilities to reboot into payload, remove SD while in Hekate, there's so little need for actually injecting a payload anymore that I completely lost interest in this. I basically only do it when updating system firmware. Even if the idea is great and it's very practical.

Each to their own, but I for one had my switch propery crash on me the other day while I was in town and I had no choice but to hard reset. With autorcm and no other way to inject until I got home, this is still practiclefor me

Reactions: lieder1987

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Each to their own, but I for one had my switch propery crash on me the other day while I was in town and I had no choice but to hard reset. With autorcm and no other way to inject until I got home, this is still practiclefor me
Okay well, I also got the SX dongle and while the DI is by no means more practical, I for one have my Dongle always with me when I carry the Switch around (it's in my case) and could use it if necessary, but truth be told I did only need it to reboot my console after FW updating, at least for the past few months since reboot to payload became a thing. I would have jumped for the DI any second if it came out half a year ago, but for the once-in-a-while reboot the SX dongle might suffice

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP

I've got my switch chipped, but I know quite a few of my relatives have children and don't have there's modded at all yet - chipping is too difficult for a large amount of people, so having a dongle is great if you want to mod someone else's switch for them, the fact you can store this inside your own switch makes it difficult to lose and it is very handy. I would pay the extra for that feature.
Once these go on sale and are verified to work properly - I'll probably buy one as well, mod a few switches and then sell it on for a profit.

Mouser X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 2 Switches, both hackable. One is on 3.0.0, so it has the old cart slot fw. I plan to disable the cart slot, and keep this in there. I use Lakka and Linux (Gamecube emulation!), and those still require injection to boot, so there's definitely still a use for this. I've been looking forward to this for nearly a year! Now with emuMMC, it's even better! Keep up the great work.

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
Question, I can't recall right now, but are the latest builds of DI recargeable in any sense?

Nope the will use button batteries, but early testing on ver 14 boards showed over 1000 injections

Unfortunately, while rechargeability was tested, I couldn't find a suitable power source. Supercapacitors at this size just can't deliver the current required (10mA) and there are no rechargeable batteries that could fit. Not to mention, even if there this was, say, a LiPo or Li-ion that would fit, it would introduce significant extra cost and shipping issues. I imagine it would also be subject to some strict regulations.

On the previous revision of the DragonInjector, I used a standard CR1216 button cell. During testing we got around 1300 injections, if I recall right. The CR1612 that the final revision uses actually has a much higher power density versus the CR1216, and can deliver more current without affecting its capacity rating.

Testing will happen soon, but I'm expecting around 2000 injections on a single battery. Shelf life of these batteries is about 5 years before they start to lose capacity, and the DI shuts off if it's not plugged into anything, so even if you inject a payload twice a day your DI should last 2 years before requiring a new battery. When that happens, the battery is easily replaceable by removing four screws. A tiny Philips screwdriver to do this is supplied with every DragonInjector.

One last thing to consider - with a rechargeable battery, at this size it would be a requirement to solder it to the board, making replacement when it inevitably couldn't hold a capacity anymore an issue. With a button cell, the DI will work as long as they keep making CR1612s. So, in 20 years when you dig your Switch out of the closet, one coin cell later your DI will be good as new.

Last edited by MatinatorX,

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
Okay well, I also got the SX dongle and while the DI is by no means more practical, I for one have my Dongle always with me when I carry the Switch around (it's in my case) and could use it if necessary, but truth be told I did only need it to reboot my console after FW updating, at least for the past few months since reboot to payload became a thing. I would have jumped for the DI any second if it came out half a year ago, but for the once-in-a-while reboot the SX dongle might suffice

Totally get this is not something for everyone. I keep telling everyone that if they're happy with their current setup, no need for a DI. I put this thing together for those picky people like me that wanted something open source that fit their use case better, not to make a bunch of money. :)

This is also why I have been actively discouraging the worrying number of people that seem to want to buy every color of the DragonInjector I come out with.

You know who you are. Stop it. :P

Last edited by MatinatorX,

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Really? Now that Atmosphere has a free and open source emuMMC, I see even more of a need for this. Before, switching between a "Clean" switch and a "Dirty Hacked" switch took hours, either backing up or restoring a NAND backup. Now, using emuMMC, it takes about 2 minutes.

When it was a long process, I used AutoRCM with CFW so I wouldn't need to keep sticking random crap in my joycon rail. But when I'm in Stock, I want everything 100% clean, no AutoRCM, no needing to use Hekate or another bootloader to boot stock.

Between the DragonInjector payload injector, and the DragonKicker, this will now be a very easy task. With the DragonKicker, I can hold multiple microSD cards in my Switch without needing a separate case. With the DragonInjector, I can take my payload dongle wherever I go, once again without needing a case. I can have one microSD card set up with my emuMMC, and using the DragonInjector with it's built-in jig I can be up and running with CFW in no time. If I decide I want to play games online, all I need to do is turn off my Switch, swap the microSD cards, and turn it back on. A two minute process to switch back and forth, and Nintendo has no way whatsoever of knowing about my CFW use. COUNT ME IN!

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Really? Now that Atmosphere has a free and open source emuMMC, I see even more of a need for this. Before, switching between a "Clean" switch and a "Dirty Hacked" switch took hours, either backing up or restoring a NAND backup. Now, using emuMMC, it takes about 2 minutes.
Oh well, ignorant banned me was not thinking about this.

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
Diodes should be arriving tomorrow, then once I figure out which ones work best I'll submit the order for 525 DIs. Once they arrive, I'll get the tester units assembled first and ship them off to testers, after which I'll finish assembling the rest.

Until then, I've been practicing my 3D modelling skills. Render of the final revision attached!

4K at source.

DI_v18_4K.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pissing in a pee bottle