SEGA delisting standalone versions of games featured in Sonic Origins collection

header.jpg

After finally giving a release date for the upcoming classic Sonic collection Sonic Origins, SEGA announced today this would soon be the only way to purchase those games digitally. On May 20, more than a month before Sonic Origins releases on June 23, SEGA will delist all standalone versions of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and Sonic CD. The only two exceptions are that Sonic 1 and 2 will still be available through the SEGA AGES ports on Nintendo Switch, and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 will remain available through the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack.

:arrow: Source (GBAtemp Inbox)

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Don't forget Sonic CD too:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/200940/Sonic_CD/

I was actually planning on buying these eventually, I might as well purchase them before May hits just to be sure.
I'll also get Origins when it appears, but I never liked this business tactic of removing the original version when an improved one hits, what's the harm?
This is the reason why we don't have the original RE1, RE2 or RE3 on Steam neither, I bet.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Did they learn nothing from the """"definitive"""" version of them GTA games?
First the pre-order bs fiasco, now this... Oh well, not like the og games weren't hard to emulate or what already.

These dumb corpos never learn that giving choices is better than restricting people to something specific.

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
Predictable enough but still a bummer, especially for the people who want the sonic CD rdsk as the PC one is the preferred choice.
This also is gonna really suck if Sonic Origins doesn't have the roms available like the "old" releases did, as that was a HUGE deal for me when it came to getting the sonic titles on steam...and would really hurt people who want to legally play sonic AIR

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did they learn nothing from the """"definitive"""" version of them GTA games?
First the pre-order bs fiasco, now this... Oh well, not like the og games weren't hard to emulate or what already.

These dumb corpos never learn that giving choices is better than restricting people to something specific.
I was about to mention the same thing.

Seriously, I think the last thing Sega wants to do is copy what Rockstar did recently. That just does not spell a good outcome for anyone.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well...at least this isn't as bad as the gta definitive situation. at least these seem like they won't be outright worse and will actually be better. still dumb though
Everything seems that way at first before it actually comes out. Lets not forget that GTA: DE was originally looking to be promising as well at first before the can of shit opened for the whole world to see.

Plus given what they are doing with Origins and their "preorder tiers" it does not feel like they have the overall best intentions in mind with this collection. This just comes off as just red flags seen in the distance.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill