Sonic Origins gets animated trailer, release date, pricing and new info revealed

sanicccccc.png

SEGA can't seem to keep a lid on Sonic Origins. The upcoming game snuck onto the South Korean ratings board, then had its boxart pop up on the PlayStation Network, and now Australian PlayStation players can access what appears to be an accidental posting of the game's store listing.

In the listing, we've learned that Sonic Origins will offer two different ways to play the classic 16-bit era Sonic games: Classic Mode, which is exactly how the games looked in 4:3 aspect ratio and played, utilizing a lives system, on the Sega Genesis, and Anniversary Mode, an updated take on the games, with a 16:9 widescreen mode and removal of any risk of game overs.

There are also coins to be earned by completing missions, which will apparently unlock Special Stages, new animation intros for each of the games, and most interestingly, "new content". Sonic Origins will have a PlayStation 5 release, and currently has no exact launch date.

[UPDATE]

SEGA has finally given Sonic Origins a release date. A PR email from the company revealed that the game will be heading to PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC on June 23rd--Sonic's birthday--for £32.99. Multiple editions of the game will be available: if you pre-order Sonic Origins, you'll get mirror mode, 100 medalions, and a letter box with a Sega Genesis pattern. The digital deluxe version will get you difficult missions, characters in the main menu, island camera on the main menu, and exclusive tracks from the classic games, with most of those features left unexplained.

Burbank, California — April 20, 2022 — Sonic fans, get ready to experience the classic Sonic the Hedgehog™ games like never before! Sonic Origins is an all-new multi-game collection reintroducing the fan-favourite 2D Sonic titles that were originally released on the SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive platform - Sonic The Hedgehog 1, 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic CD, digitally remastered for current generation platforms. Developed by SEGA®, Sonic Origins delivers the legendary, non-stop Sonic action found in the original games, while providing a fresh twist with remastered visuals, added features, new content and modes and more. The compilation of titles included in Sonic Origins is set to release digitally on Sonic’s birthday, June 23, 2022, starting at £32.99 on PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, the Nintendo Switch™ family of systems and PC. Today, Sonic fans can pre-order Sonic Origins and get access to exclusive pre-order incentives.

Sonic Origins - Digital Pre-Order Bonus
100 Medallion Bonus
Mirror Mode Unlocked
Letter Box (Mega Drive Pattern)

Sonic Origins- Digital Standard - £32.99
Main Game

Sonic Origins - Digital Deluxe - £36.99
Main Game
Difficult Missions Added
Letter Box
Characters in Main Menu
Island Camera on Main Menu
Character Animation in Music Playback
Exclusive Tracks from Mega Drive Titles

Sonic Origins - Premium & Classic Sound Packs - £2.99
Exclusive Tracks from Mega Drive Titles

To accompany the news, SEGA has debuted a new trailer providing fans with a look into what’s to come this summer. Take a trip down memory lane and experience the beginnings of Sonic in the all-new trailer for Sonic Origins here.

:arrow: Source

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Sonic Origins is a retro compilation which includes the following games:

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic CD
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic & Knuckles
I so wish they finally ported Knuckle's Chaotix. Come on guys, it's about time to free it from the 32x jail.

I hope they at least provide the Sonic & Knuckles passthrough mixes with the previous games.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I so wish they finally ported Knuckle's Chaotix. Come on guys, it's about time to free it from the 32x jail.

I hope they at least provide the Sonic & Knuckles passthrough mixes with the previous games.
Being on the 32X was a death sentence, so basically it is jail. It would be nice to get a updated version with widescreen and 60fps. But considering how the other three games gets way more attention with mods and such, it just may not happen unless sega produce an emulator for the darn thing. :ninja:

Reactions: pustal

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Am I going to pay $40 for ports of games I've played 200 times each, with improvements that have been available via ancient romhacks for years now? Does SEGA really think I care enough to see some cute animations to spice up my 2839th playthrough of S3&K?

...Well they were RIGHT :angry:
Wait a few weeks and you'll find a discount. Specially for Steam I never pay full price. If not anything else, you'll almost certainly have a 20% Humble discount if you subscribe. That if you don't want to use key reseller sites :P

Reactions: Acetonide and Chary

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Wait a few weeks and you'll find a discount. Specially for Steam I never pay full price. If not anything else, you'll almost certainly have a 20% Humble discount if you subscribe. That if you don't want to use key reseller sites :P
It's more my indignation at them charging $40 for the collection, but yeah, the Humble thing is an A+ tip. I'm looking forward to getting it at launch, but I know that's a fool's game lol.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I going to pay $40 for ports of games I've played 200 times each, with improvements that have been available via ancient romhacks for years now? Does SEGA really think I care enough to see some cute animations to spice up my 2839th playthrough of S3&K?

...Well they were RIGHT :angry:
Well, this is the first time sonic 3 got re-release in over 10 years. But $40 is a bit much, that's more than the already existing sega classic collection with over 50 games and online multiplayer...:ninja:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,
Reactions: Chary

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Watched the trailer and the games are now in 16:9 AR, and... new content here and there?

I was hoping for the remakes of Sonic 1 and 2 that are on Android/iOS to finally be on Consoles/PC. :-/

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was hoping for the remakes of Sonic 1 and 2 that are on Android/iOS to finally be on Consoles/PC. :-/
That's pretty much exactly what this is. If you want something closer, that version of the Retro Engine has been reverse-engineered and I think there is an unofficial Windows version that will use the Andriod/iOS data files.

It's official. SEGA can live off of the few good games they made decades ago and will probably continue to do so for centuries.
Eh, this an exception. They can barely give them away on mobile, and some would say that SEGA as a whole is hardly "living" anymore. (That's why I say that maybe Nintendo isn't being as senseless as they seem to be in being so protective of their back catalog.)

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning