Rune Translator

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Chrisblue, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Chrisblue
    OP

Chrisblue Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2016
    Gambia, The
    [​IMG]

Rune Translator is a complete text editor for Rune Factory 4. It works with every existing Rune Factory version (JP, US, EU).

With this tool you can edit all files related to game text within a decrypted Rune Factory 4 ROM.
    These files are located in RomFS/script, RomFS/text and RomFS/textAndData.

You can switch the encoding from UTF-8 to SHIFT-JIS but this is only necessary if you edit the japanese version of the game.
    Otherwise the default setting is just fine.

Rune Translator has an integrated search and mass replace function to help replacing common texts.
    It completely recreates the headers and repoints everything correctly therefore you can just start opening files and translate them without having to care about anything else.

You can download it here (Yes, RHDN finally supports 3DS entries ^.^)

Examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also I am currently recruiting people for a german localization of Rune Factory 4.
    If you want to know more about it just PM me. ;)

Last edited by Chrisblue, Aug 2, 2016
  2. Feeling it!

Feeling it! Pure Logical Feels.

Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    Running.
    This concept is genius and I hope other people follow after this idea.

3. pikatsu

pikatsu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 16, 2014
    Argentina
    If we could edit images and game functions like in pokemon gba we could make very good hacks of this wonderfull game

Last edited by pikatsu, Aug 2, 2016
  4. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Interesting project, but I guess I am drawing blanks as to what you would re-write.

5. Chrisblue
    OP

Chrisblue Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Well, image editing is totally possible. I developed a tool for BCTEX-editing which works very well with the files from RF4.
    I am not sure about the games functions but nothing is impossible, right? :)

Rune Factory 4 got an EU release in the E-Shop but it has only english texts. Games like Rune Factory are quite popular in many countries.
    Having an easy tool for general text editing can be very helpful for creating new translations. It's not always just about english, right?

Angely likes this.
  6. pikatsu

Apr 16, 2014
    Argentina
    You are the man. If you ever start a Rune Factory Hack i am in. I would like to see one day a rune factory 1 or 2 builded on the rf4 core

7. pikatsu

Apr 16, 2014
    Argentina
    I have opened with you fr4 translation tool the rf3mc.jpn and rf3mc.eng. Both files have the same entries. If you could match the japanese sentence to the translated you could make a preety jap<<-->>en dictionary for gaming translation purposes

8. Chrisblue
    OP

Chrisblue Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2016
    Gambia, The
    I added a handy feature today: Spreadsheet importing and exporting:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thinking about past projects this is something that should be available for every translation tool.
    By exporting texts as Excel-tables translation teams have the opportunity to work collaborative on a sheet. If you are planning a huge project you could apply a cell color which is associated with a team member.
    Then when someone has translated all cells with the associated color you can just import the Spreadsheet into Rune Translator and recreate the text-files for the game.
    For mulitlingual games this is particular useful as you could just export every localized version into a seperate column. This enables team members to compare their translation with multiple other versions.
    You could also add a column for "Needs Proofread" which makes proofreading a lot easier.

Furthermore I added a save change dialog when closing the application, a label whichs shows the ID of the currently selected item and replaced the ListBox with a ListView. Yeah that uses a little bit more memory but apparently the scrolling function of a ListBox is buggy when there are too many items. All in all it's a pretty big and surprising update I guess. :D

Now with the new feature everyone can do this. Just open a file and export it to column A, then open the second file and export it to column B and it's done. ;)
    Your message gave me the idea that Excel import and export would be a pretty cool feature. I think thats something I will add to every future translation tool I make.
    I just never gave it a thought before.

Attached Files:

Last edited by Chrisblue, Aug 3, 2016
    Angely, Asia81 and pikatsu like this.
  9. andibad

andibad Soon™

Sep 14, 2009
    Indonesia
    hospital
    yeah export to excell and multi-replacer is good idea for one line message (on each message block file), but is ineffective if is have multi-line, and multi-page message.

and is nice you using protected tooling lol, is make my AV blocked you file.

10. Angely

Angely GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2015
    Netherlands
    Whoa awesome. If only it'd work with other games like Harvest Moon/ Story of Seasons games too! Then I'd be even more happy. o.o

11. Reishiki

Reishiki Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2014
    I'm sorry for bumping this old thread but it's really helpful for me. I'm trying to translate RF4 into Vietnamese with no coding/programing skills.

I already unpacked the original 3ds file. I'm stuck at finding the font file to edit, since Vietnamese characters are roughly need about 142 total characters. Is there anyone knows where the font file is located? And how should I edit it to fit all the characters?