[Rumor] Sony Planning Another Big PS4 Blowout

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony unveiled their next generation console, the Playstation 4, last February in a conference teeming with trailers, demos, and teases of upcoming features. The buzz for the system has been growing and growing, but there's still a whole lot more we don't know.

What does it look like? What's the price? How many more games can we expect? Is Nintendoomed for real?

It looks like we might have our answer soon enough.
Expect a big announcement from Sony about its next-gen PlayStation 4 console this month or possibly in early May, a source familiar with the company's marketing strategy told PCMag this week.

Sony already revealed some PlayStation 4 specs at a February event in which the company unveiled the console's controller (pictured) and a stereo camera with motion capture capabilities, but not, to the chagrin of gamers everywhere, the PS4 itself.

But Sony may be parceling out information about its coming game console to build up buzz, according to the source.
arrow.gif
PC Mag

It's not guaranteed, but hey, if Sony announces a conference in the upcoming months... well, you've been PS-forewarned.

I do have to worry for Sony, though. It's rumored that Microsoft will be launching their next console at the same time, and they've got nothing but hype and excitement on their side. Just look at their viral marketing!

jF1Mjq5MZmVHd.png

On second thought, never mind.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Down with Microsoft! I hope they get outta the game business all together.

Though I can safely say I am not a fan of many of the things MS looks to be doing this time around I fail to see the relevance of your comment in this thread. Also MS have had a serious positive influence on games for many years and to lose that would not be brilliant.

As for the matter at hand it looks like it could be a case of winner by default but Sony are making interesting noises.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Though I can safely say I am not a fan of many of the things MS looks to be doing this time around I fail to see the relevance of your comment in this thread. Also MS have had a serious positive influence on games for many years and to lose that would not be brilliant.

As for the matter at hand it looks like it could be a case of winner by default but Sony are making interesting noises.
Positive influence on what? Red Rings? Kinect motion controls games? ruining Rare? FPS games? Having absolutely no originality? Paying for online? Paying for Netflix?... MS has done NOTHIN but hurt the game industry get out of here with that bullshit. It blows my mind that people actually still believe the 360 is superior to the PS3 in game catalog or actual system hardware. Japan has all but disowned the 360, that has to mean something when the nation responsible for almost everything great in gaming thinks your console is shit.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Positive influence on what? Red Rings? Kinect motion controls games? ruining Rare? FPS games? Having absolutely no originality? Paying for online? Paying for Netflix?... MS has done NOTHIN but hurt the game industry get out of here with that bullshit. It blows my mind that people actually still believe the 360 is superior to the PS3 in game catalog or actual system hardware. Japan has all but disowned the 360, that has to mean something when the nation responsible for almost everything great in gaming thinks your console is shit.

Bringing an integrated online component to consoles at a time when Nintendo was still saying online gaming was just a fad, offering the superior online service up until the last few years or so, being the first to introduce services like Netflix, initial promotion of indie developers (stuff like Braid and Bastion especially), dat 360 controller, Alan Wake, etc. etc.

Microsoft has made it's fair share of mistakes, don't get me wrong, and it's let itself fall behind in recent years, but it sounds like your sphincter is thoroughly smashed. Trying to claim that Microsoft has had no beneficial influence on the industry is laughable.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They made XNA - such a thing I find it hard to underestimate and with the possible exception of the unreal engine or doom/quake before it there is not much that comes close.
They make directX - now I am certainly one to throw in with opengl a lot of the time but directX is nice.
Their PC game division (Microsoft Studios) has done a lot for the world- http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/microsoft-studios/offset,0/so,1d/list-games/

On red rings- I am certainly prepared to wander over to MS and teach them some basic materials science and physics but BGA failure is a common thing in all modern electronics, doubly so since lead was removed from solder.

Japan single handedly responsible for almost everything.... I fear we have a a fundamental difference of viewpoint there. Japan certainly punches far above its weight and I would never dismiss them, to see them as more than that would be folly at best though. It might just be a matter of perspective though as I grew up among the amiga and other such consoles which Japan did not represent that heavily on and I still enjoyed pretty much all the styles of gameplay there are/were at the time.

"game catalog or actual system hardware". System hardware we could probably debate for some time with no winner, indeed I would probably argue there is no winner. Game catalogues..... I actually went through and made exclusives lists one time. Turns out there was more to the PS3 than I thought (assuming I want to play Atelier or White Knight Chronicles) but accounting for sequels, spiritual or otherwise, equivalents and with a few choice dismissals (I think we can probably ignore MotorStorm) I do not see much of anything in it and that is a good thing.

@chartube12 I had not heard anything like that. I am not quite sure what it matters though.

Reactions: Gahars

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Fast6191 and Gahars I see where you guys are coming from, but whatever happened to games being the main focus? You know the things we buy hardware for? All this mumbo jumbo about integrated online components, XNA and DirectX. Where is the originality in titles? That's ALL I care about, I dunno about you guys. The PS3 also lacks in this category compared to older generation systems but its still light years ahead of the 360.

Reactions: NahuelDS

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why should games be the main focus? The underlying chips tend not to be entirely focused upon game playing activities, often good for it but still seriously lacking and overdeveloped in areas if games are your sole intended use. Similarly if the film watching market wants to partially fund a games console what possible sense is there to complain?
Going back to the amiga stuff I would have to note the idea of device solely intended for games is not that long standing of an idea and possibly something of a curiosity.

That said
integrated online components - have you built/managed a internet server architecture recently? They are not easy and if someone is going to take care of that for you then carry on. Granted I am not sold on online in general but others are and they do seem to have proven a previously untapped creative and financial boon.
XNA - your, what I will soon argue is baseless, comment on originality would surely back that games are more than the sum of their coding and it is quite easy to nerf a working game and make a bad one. They that develop a method, and XNA reduces the level of programming skill required significantly, to the point where people can look at actually making games....
DirectX - kind of the same as the other two. Futzing around with controller input methods, sound and 3d is a pain and the 3d stuff influences an awful lot.

Originality... I see plenty all the time across the board. In a world where genre fusion is the norm and beyond that the term genre is increasingly losing all meaning. Also is originality that desirable a commodity in all instances- polish, refinement and tweaks have long produced interesting things.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fast6191 and Gahars I see where you guys are coming from, but whatever happened to games being the main focus? You know the things we buy hardware for? All this mumbo jumbo about integrated online components, XNA and DirectX. Where is the originality in titles? That's ALL I care about, I dunno about you guys. The PS3 also lacks in this category compared to older generation systems but its still light years ahead of the 360.

Because allowing users to play online, courting indie developers, creating the godliest controller to ever grace the Earth, and Alan Wake all have nothing to do with games.

Oh.

Yeah, these are gaming machines first and foremost, but they're still hefty investments - why shouldn't they offer more features? If the output of great games isn't impacted (it isn't), why not make your device more versatile? Why not give buyers more bang for their buck?

Reactions: Guild McCommunist

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: Good morning!