Sony has lost 2 million PS+ subscribers since the service relaunched in June

dasdasasdadsadsasdasd.png

This Summer, we saw PlayStation relaunch PlayStation Plus as a multi-tiered service, while also merging it with their game streaming subscription PlayStation Now. The result of that change seems to have been a negative for Sony, because the latest financial report for the company shows that they lost 2 million subscribers in the process. Prior to the relaunch, there were 47.3 million PS+ users, but by the end of September, that number had dropped by 4%, to 45.4 million. It was also noted that active online users on PSN dropped by about a million, though Sony hopes to recapture that audience in due time. Beyond those two stats, sales, income, and PS5 console production are on the rise all across the board for PlayStation.

The number of PlayStation Plus subscriber accounts at the end of September decreased 4% from the end of June to 45.4 million accounts. We see that this decrease results from a greater decline in user engagement among PlayStation 4 (PS4) users than expected. • On the other hand, the ratio of PS Plus subscribers among PlayStation 5 (PS5) users remains at a level significantly higher than that of PS4. We are putting even more effort into accelerating the penetration of PS5 hardware to recover this user engagement going forward.

:arrow: Source

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I wonder how many PS5 owners are complaining about the hardware? I resonate with @Cyan's view though. I won't upgrade to a premium tier just to play New Vegas (or other abandoned games). I'd rather break out a JB PS3 or use my 90's power consuming PC and one-shot it.

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft should take note. Although they will likely be hit much less severely, price increases will cause people to leave.

I suspect Microsoft are pushing prices up, in anticipation of the new family subscription they're trialling, although they aren't allowing multiple users to combine subscriptions. It's only worth while if only one family member has a subscription.

andeers

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I don't know how many users did this, but I was paying PS plus and PS Now for more games that interested me, so this year I ended with two subscriptions and obviously had to desuscribe from one of them. I don't think this happened to two million people, but maybe is a factor.

NeroAngelo

Clueless Importer
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
When your competitor's console has more backwards compatibility with not only theirs but your OWN GAMES that you're willing to charge out the flipping wazoo for and you can't even be bothered to figure out your OWN esoteric hardware that even a gaming PC from the the GTX 900+ series can emulate, or even a PORTABLE gaming PC @ 720p (to varying mileage) so you just throw in cloud nonsense that not even all WIRED connections can keep a steady connection to, all the while not even trying to make the games available to download on PS3?
AND STILL throwing in PAL releases of games in certain territories?

Yeah, that's bound to happen. Not to mention the blatant skimping on good games on the "Essentials" tier.

Like, come ON Sony. The Jak & Daxter games were and still are technical marvels and deserve better presentation than whatever the graphical-glitching, frame-dropping hell is going on PS5. And DON'T even get me STARTED on Ape Escape 2, LET ALONE ON THE PS5, HOOOH BOY
I felt robbed when I found out they never bothered to make Ape Escape 2 PS5 compatible :(

Reactions: Kitocco

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They really fucked up.
The naming also helped in creating the mess they have.

There should have been just three, not four.

Could have been named something like...
  • Basic
  • Silver
  • Gold
Edit: I remember reading loads of guys who stacked up their subscriptions for up to 3-5 years. I hope they ain't regretting that. lol

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
How many people have jumped ship from Sony to Xbox?

I did.

Not yet, but I might when I purchase one of the new gen systems. PS4 had the better library of games last gen, but now that Microsoft has Bethesda and (soon to acquire) Activision, I feel the tides have changed. Especially now that Sony closed down Japan Studio, I care even less for their first party offering. Insomniac is pretty much the only (first party) dev I care about.

Anyway, less subscribers is a good thing. Hopefully they get off the high horse that they climbed on last generation.
Online shouldn't be locked behind a paywall, so companies losing money from greed is always good news in my book.

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Meanwhile online play on PS3 is still free to use, no PS+ needed.
Kind of hypocritical nowadays.
But in 2020 they wanted to shut down online for Ps3, although the negative backlash made $ony reverse that decision but I see them shutting down Ps3 servers in a year or two when they launch a Ps5 slim.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But in 2020 they wanted to shut down online for Ps3, although the negative backlash made $ony reverse that decision but I see them shutting down Ps3 servers in a year or two when they launch a Ps5 slim.
Digital purchases customers made will just be unavailable.

Good thing piracy exists so the content is still available, but game updates.. may not. Don't know of any website that actually preserves game updates (because it's so many).

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
Some people not interest in PS+ subscribers anymore and dislike digital for reasons.

I own PS4 and never use PS+ subscribers because I don't have time for that. I always stick with physical copies forever and don't need PS+ subscribers. PS+ subscribers is opinion for some people. I'm most time play games on PC all of times than gaming console (PS4 and Nintendo).

If what people forget to pay PS+ subscribers every time and will lost all digital games forever.

When PS4 going in end of support then will lost PS+ subscribers for all people also lost digital games in near future. How sad.

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Hey Sony... George Hotz says hi :ninja:
GeoHot !!
Where did that dude go to after $ony sued his @5$ and hit him with an injunction to never touch a Ps3?

I heard he's at Google, i think?

Ca$hfl0w...I mean theFl0w is a security researcher at Google, damn google for poaching our playstation hackers

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
I have the highest tier because my PS5 is a family console and my parents are suckers for nostalgia even if it's of questionable quality (they pay for it so I'm not complaining lol) but yeah, i can see a combination of lockdown factors and the ""somewhat"" lackluster offerings causing Sony to lose subs.

MicroNut99

!SEGA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GeoHot !!
Where did that dude go to after $ony sued his @5$ and hit him with an injunction to never touch a Ps3?

I heard he's at Google, i think?

Ca$hfl0w...I mean theFl0w is a security researcher at Google, damn google for poaching our playstation hackers
He sold out and went to work for Facebook. "Life is Good"
I am sure he has moved on by now.
Because he killed them his hacks for the console went nowhere and he gets no credit for good reason.
He did little for the console and you wont see his name anywhere beyond ancient lore.
And you know the theFl0w is still very active in the scene.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill