Sony has lost 2 million PS+ subscribers since the service relaunched in June

dasdasasdadsadsasdasd.png

This Summer, we saw PlayStation relaunch PlayStation Plus as a multi-tiered service, while also merging it with their game streaming subscription PlayStation Now. The result of that change seems to have been a negative for Sony, because the latest financial report for the company shows that they lost 2 million subscribers in the process. Prior to the relaunch, there were 47.3 million PS+ users, but by the end of September, that number had dropped by 4%, to 45.4 million. It was also noted that active online users on PSN dropped by about a million, though Sony hopes to recapture that audience in due time. Beyond those two stats, sales, income, and PS5 console production are on the rise all across the board for PlayStation.

The number of PlayStation Plus subscriber accounts at the end of September decreased 4% from the end of June to 45.4 million accounts. We see that this decrease results from a greater decline in user engagement among PlayStation 4 (PS4) users than expected. • On the other hand, the ratio of PS Plus subscribers among PlayStation 5 (PS5) users remains at a level significantly higher than that of PS4. We are putting even more effort into accelerating the penetration of PS5 hardware to recover this user engagement going forward.

:arrow: Source

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still mad at Sony for dropping the ball so badly on the Vita.

The PSP was the god of all handhelds, and where most of us actually started learning how to mod consoles. The Vita could have been the greatest handheld gaming device of all time, prior to the Switch.

Sony simply abandoned it and made it a platform for indie developers with 99-cent shovelware. It could have been the perfect repository for PS2 classics, which they STILL have failed to truly make available. Haven't seen any plans for a PS2 mini, and most of the very best titles have never been released in any digital format.

I think they saw how much of the market share that iPhone and Android games were starting to capture, and thought THAT'S what gamers actually wanted.

No, we do not want an Angry Birds game on a $250 device that we spent $80 for a memory card just to be able to use. Shovel Knight is not a reason to own a Vita. Jetpack Joyride didn't move any units.

Such a disappointment.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I wonder how much money, if any, this cost them. Because of course they were going to lose subscribers but the point was to increase profit. Corporate shills like myself ended up upgrading to premium so I'm spending a lot more than I was prior.

Reactions: HellGhast

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe no one wants to pay a minimum of $60 USD to play online, or use cloud saves, or uhh... discounts. :ninja:

Meanwhile Nintendo may have the $50 expansion with DLC and Sega genesis and N64 games.
BUT STILL HAVE $20 Subscription.

(And before anyone says "But steam on pc has free online and clouds saves") Yes, these are also facts too. :rolleyes:

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just paid for my subscription to nso, and I think I'll have to pay for psn in the next few days. I have just the basic version of psn+. I really don't like playing games that may or may not be around tomorrow. I'd much rather "own" the game. i got nso and psn + mostly for cloud saving after my original switch died, and there was no way to retrieve the saves. xbox does have free cloud saving, but it doesn't have free online play. I have gold for that rather than game pass. I don't play the games enough to warrant having a higher tier or gamepass for psn+ or game pass.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How many people have jumped ship from Sony to Xbox?

I did.

Good for you. No one cares. I have a PS5, Series X, gaming PC, Switch, and a closet full of past gen consoles. Do you care? Imagine not having to jump ship though. Why do you feel like you need some sort of loyalty for one over the other? Because innocent, perfect MS? lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr