Sony sets State of Play for June 2, will offer "sneak peek" at PS VR2 games

d9fe41a7c37de2e556170d4f810afb49c1105c86.jpg

Sony has announced a new State of Play presentation to air next Thursday, June 2, at 3pm Pacific / 6pm Eastern / 12:00am CET. The presentation will run for "nearly 30 minutes" and will feature games from third-party studios and offer a sneak peek at games being developed for PS VR2. Sony doesn't specifically exclude the possibility that anything else may be featured at the presentation, such as first-party titles not being developed for virtual reality.

The timing of the announcement is interesting, however, as this is the time of the year major publishers usually hold large showcase events for their first-party or exclusive titles (Microsoft's, for example, is set for June 12). Given that this presentation is relatively short at less than 30 minutes and the announcement puts a focus on third-party titles, it doesn't fit the mold of such a presentation, but it's unclear whether Sony might follow it up shortly with a larger showcase event focused on first-party titles and the PlayStation brand.

As for what we might see, there are a few possibilities. Sony is in the middle of the revamped PS Plus's worldwide rollout, so we may get some news about that. Final Fantasy XVI, a console exclusive for Sony, is reportedly nearly finished development and a big announcement was expected for Spring 2022, so it's likely we'll see that there. The initial announcement of PS VR2 also said there would be twenty titles available at launch, including a Horizon spin-off titled Horizon Call of the Mountain. The price and release date are also currently unknown, so we might see some of that with the focus on PS VR2.

You can watch the event on PlayStation's Twitch channel on June 2 at 3pm Pacific / 6pm Eastern / 12:00am CET.

:arrow: Source

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buckle up, we're entering E3 season, even though it's not officially happening this year. Wonder how long until Nintendo's Direct, I'm gonna bet 2 weeks.

Sakuraibr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It will be a big deal. Facebook/Meta is closing-in, finishing production of their high-end headsets. PS VR 2 will play that game too, so it is honestly hype.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will be a big deal. Facebook/Meta is closing-in, finishing production of their high-end headsets. PS VR 2 will play that game too, so it is honestly hype.
Eh, I'm just not seeing this metaverse hype that Facebook wants us to believe is everywhere. The most you hear about it are articles having serious doubts about the idea in general.

Reactions: yoyoyo69

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm kind of excited about this because I think PSVR 2 has a chance to further popularize VR (which like it or not, is still very niche and still has a long way to go) and maybe even bring big names into the mix for the PSVR 2 like the first PSVR had games like Skyrim, Batman Arkham, No Man Sky and Resident Evil 7.

If done right, Sony really can revolutionize the VR industry again, but my only fear is the price of it...

I think what made PSVR a success is that it was much more affordable than PC VRs and was a great deal, especially for those who already had a PS4 (even today here in Brazil I can still find a used PSVR for R$1000 to R$1600 which is much cheaper than the Oculus Quest 2 which costs from R$2,500 to R$3,200 here so is still a pretty good option ), so even though it is an already dated device, we still see game releases for it like Moss: Book 2, Among Us and Zenith: The Last City which were released this year for a 6 year old device.

But If this new VR be too expensive, it might flop and not be half as successful as the first PSVR.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1