Australia

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I call this bullshit.

Rare doesn't have ANYTHING Nintendo needs. Their titles are just not mainstream enough, even Banjo Kazooie hence why they're reduced to making poor "Mii too" titles for Microsoft and also they have very little talent left.

If Nintendo wanted a core title like Perfect Dark or Killer Instinct (personally, never felt they were great...but then my rose tinted specs are off)...they could just do them themselves under different titles, they don't need those names at all. Also if those titles were really that viable, then why does Microsoft not bother with them at all? In a business sense this would be stupid for Nintendo to even consider, Rare take far too long to make even something half decent. Maybe they may buy JUST Banjo Kazooie but that's about it but then Nintendo has Donkey Kong, Mario, Kirby and others that they could easily make a good platformer out of and they would sell more.

If the game that Retro is working on turns out to be Banjo Kazooie, I'd be highly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I like the series but if Retro isn't working on a new IP I personally think there are more worthwhile Nintendo IPs that would rather them do, especially in this day and age.

Microsoft and their fans are "too hardcore" for many of the franchises that Rare has created over the years. Unlike Nintendo fans who are from a more diverse age group as well as having a more diverse preference when it comes to game genres. The Xbox thrives on shooters and some RPG's, Nintendo thrives on diversity among all of their franchises and genres.

That said, a game like Killer Instinct would appeal to a larger market of players because it's a fighting game, and a good Perfect Dark game would appeal to shooter fans as well. Rare got demolished by Microsoft because they made a few bad games that were under the supervision and control of Microsoft themselves, unlike what Nintendo gave them which was freedom of creativity.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Rare are really wasted where they are now, I can't see why Microsoft puts them on Kinect titles...I mean they're not the best of quality anyway so just let a lesser team make them! I think where Rare should go is into the digital titles realm. Go back to making more retro titles like Battletoads, Jetpac, Nightshade, R.C Pro-Am, Cobra Triangle, Wizards & Warriors...hell even a Perfect Dark would work better digitally split into episodes imo. It would give Microsoft some good edge with titles like those only on XBLA rather than the 3rd party ones that end up going elsewhere eventually...that's if Rare can make them good.

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't get this, if they've been knocking up this game, why not just create some new characters for it or just use an existing Nintendo IP?. In terms of characters, Banjo & Kazooie have hardly anything going for them - I actually think that in the UK at least, they would actually put some people off a game.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
YES. Give Rare back to the more superior company. God knows that every rare game with Microsoft has done so well...

When you think about the N64, I instantly think of RareWare. That's how good of a company they were. Nintendo should have NEVER sold them. and we would have had Banjo-Three-ee. and not this nuts and bolts bullshit (Yet again...sequels lose their charm after a while)

In all honesty (and I'll probably get flamed for this), I think after Rare lost it in the noggin when told how "cute" their Conker 64 game was going to be (before BFD), the quality of their stuff started going downhill. Sure, their capability with the systems kept improving, but the games themselves started to lose flavor. That's why I think Nintendo let them go after Starfox Adventures. Unless they are somehow able to go back to their ways prior to going mad, I don't care to see them come back as a company. Get the IPs, and then be done with them.

Conker's 64 Tales (Fact: Conker was Mr. Nutz on GameBoy) was planned for the Nintendo 64 DD (Disk Drive) attachment [that was released for a limited time in Japan and is as rare as fucking hens teeth] people bitched however that it was too cutesy cutesy crap and was probably too cute like Banjo. So Rare said..okay?..too cute?..well guess what?!...we're going the motherfucking opposite!!! :tpi:

I agree..Starfox Adventures was....just.....oh god..eeugh.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Conker's 64 Tales

Don't know where you got that title but when it was shown in 97 it was originally Conker's Quest, then it became Twelve Tales:Conker 64

(Fact: Conker was Mr. Nutz on GameBoy)

you sure Conker wasn't Conker on the gb?

250px-Conkerspockettalesboxart.jpg

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(Fact: Conker was Mr. Nutz on GameBoy)
No idea where you got that from but it's not a fact at all. Mr. Nutz is a completely separate title and made by a totally different developer for a totally different publisher, it was on various formats before even making an appearance on GB.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like how rose tinted goggles are leading some to actually believe Rare are even a vaguely semi-good developer.

I think it's more of the hype behind "OMG GOLDENEYE" than anything else. Goldeneye isn't even good today and the only reason I still enjoy Perfect Dark is because I have fond memories of it.

Banjo Kazooie/Tooie and Donkey Kong 64 are apparently boring collectathons that are pretty weak compared to other 3D platformers (COUGH SPYRO THE DRAGON COUGH).

Reactions: 1 person

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I like how rose tinted goggles are leading some to actually believe Rare are even a vaguely semi-good developer.
They were, though. People just think that if they go back to Nintendo they will be again, which is completely wrong.

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They were, though. People just think that if they go back to Nintendo they will be again, which is completely wrong.

thats because if nintendo buy rare back they could take all the good ip's back from rare and shut rare down

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

thats because if nintendo buy rare back they could take all the good ip's back from rare and shut rare down

The IPs don't really even matter. I mean Rare in the N64 days is remembered for a few things. There's Conker, which Nintendo would never pursue due to it's "mature" content, Donkey Kong 64 which they could just do another 3D Donkey Kong platformer for (it's not like Nintendo doesn't know how to make 3D platformers people), Banjo Kazooie, which is not really iconic and at all and they could shoe in any cast of characters and make a similar game (like, um, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong anyone?), Goldeneye 007 which they can't even touch since Activision owns the video game rights for Bond, and Perfect Dark, which again I doubt Nintendo would touch for being "mature" and not being bright and colorful.

Case in point, anything Nintendo would buy from Rare is pointless. Banjo Kazooie isn't seen as "the N64 platformer", not at all. Why would Nintendo would to buy a company for a single IP which is basically unimportant intellectually and when they can make a better game with a more noticeable face themselves?

But as has been said multiple times, this rumor is crap.

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

The IPs don't really even matter. I mean Rare in the N64 days is remembered for a few things. There's Conker, which Nintendo would never pursue due to it's "mature" content, Donkey Kong 64 which they could just do another 3D Donkey Kong platformer for (it's not like Nintendo doesn't know how to make 3D platformers people), Banjo Kazooie, which is not really iconic and at all and they could shoe in any cast of characters and make a similar game (like, um, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong anyone?), Goldeneye 007 which they can't even touch since Activision owns the video game rights for Bond, and Perfect Dark, which again I doubt Nintendo would touch for being "mature" and not being bright and colorful.

Case in point, anything Nintendo would buy from Rare is pointless. Banjo Kazooie isn't seen as "the N64 platformer", not at all. Why would Nintendo would to buy a company for a single IP which is basically unimportant intellectually and when they can make a better game with a more noticeable face themselves?

But as has been said multiple times, this rumor is crap.

what about KI ? everyone wants a third one if they buy that ip they could ask retro to do the third one and everyone would be happy no ?

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
LOL Maybe some of you should try reading. Donkey Kong 64 could be released by Nintendo but they choose not to. Rare confirmed that Nintendo owns the rights to the game.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what about KI ? everyone wants a third one if they buy that ip they could ask retro to do the third one and everyone would be happy no ?

Killer Instinct is far too mature for Nintendo and stepping foot into the fighting games market at this time is rather foolish. They really don't know fighting games honestly. Even Super Smash Bros. is outrageously unbalanced and only one of them was considered "competitive" because of its glitches and abuses you could find in it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*