RUMOR: Nintendo wants RARE back

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
their shooting themselves in the foot if they do this the rare they used to own is DEAD they havn't made a good game in decades after being sold. they even killed their own ip to with nuts and bolts!

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
their shooting themselves in the foot if they do this the rare they used to own is DEAD they havn't made a good game in decades after being sold. they even killed their own ip to with nuts and bolts!

You...and some others miss the point.
This isn't about Nintendo wanting Rare hoping it will make good games again ( that's unlikely as most of the old team is long gone ), it's about Nintendo wanting to reacquire some of his old IPs and have maybe Retro studios develop for. The only way , is to buy Rare altogether. Nobody gives a shit about today's or future Rare, all they want are the IPs ......
If that is the case, and the company ( which didn't do any good in a decade or so ) is more then affordable, I don't see how this could be a bad idea at all.........

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted_171835

This isn't about Nintendo wanting Rare hoping it will make good games again ( that's unlikely as most of the old team is long gone ), it's about Nintendo wanting to reacquire some of his old IPs and have maybe Retro studios develop for. The only way , is to buy Rare altogether. Nobody gives a shit about today's or future Rare, all they want are the IPs ......
If that is the case, and the company ( which didn't do any good in a decade or so ) is more then affordable, I don't see how this could be a bad idea at all.........
It's fucking dumb. Nintendo wouldn't start work on a game involving an IP they don't even own let alone would they waste money on a dev that's worthless to them now.

Zelda Informer is just as credible as sites like Wii U Daily, i.e, not credible at all.

Reactions: 1 person

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people keep asking for new ips. While they aren't exactly new,they would be ips we haven't seen for a while.

It almost sound like some people don't want them to come back or/and they do not want Nintendo working on them.

If they buy these ips, surely they would work on them as if they were a new ips. I see no reason why they can't work on ips
that wasn't their own from before. I mean they go out their way to help other developers, so what's stopping them?

YoshiKart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, Rare(ware) will never be the same company again, but at least reacquiring all the IPs will grant us A TRUE BANJO-THREEIE and other goodies.
I didn't know that old Rareware staff was in Retro. That makes it even better,
Although it's a rumor, it's definitely getting my hopes up.

DK64 and BK/BT Virtual Console, anyone?

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some people keep asking for new ips. While they aren't exactly new,they would be ips we haven't seen for a while.

It almost sound like some people don't want them to come back or/and they do not want Nintendo working on them.

If they buy these ips, surely they would work on them as if they were a new ips. I see no reason why they can't work on ips
that wasn't their own from before. I mean they go out their way to help other developers, so what's stopping them?

Games like Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps would be considered new titles since both have only ever seen a single release in the history of Rare, and many gamers these days might not have played those kinds of games.

I think this would be a good idea just to get some additional franchises under the Nintendo name, it seems that creating new franchises hasn't been their strong suit the last few years. Sure, they have had some success with games like Batallion Wars and Pikmin, but it's not enough. They need Perfect Dark first and foremost, a good game in that franchises is actually needed since Perfect Dark Zero sucked balls.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't see Microsoft allowing this to happen, that said the only reason Nintendo has to acquire RARE is to gain access to RARE IP's and release RARE games via Virtual Console. I for one am all for Nintendo having control of franchises like Banjo Kazooie and Conker.
Donkey Kong is a Nintendo IP, so I have never understood why DK64 was never released on the Virtual Console, though if I recall correctly there were problems with porting some games that used the N64 Expansion Card, however DK64 wasn't one of them.
If I'm not mistaken DK64 did in fact require the ram expansion and was even sold with it for those who didn't already have it. Also Majors's Mask required it and that game was ported to VC.

Supreme Dirt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jetpac is why they can't release DK64. Jetpac is owned exclusively by RARE.

If true, and Nintendo's trying to reacquire some of the IPs we know and love, I will be greatly happy.

However I am highly skeptical.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's fucking dumb. Nintendo wouldn't start work on a game involving an IP they don't even own let alone would they waste money on a dev that's worthless to them now.

Zelda Informer is just as credible as sites like Wii U Daily, i.e, not credible at all.

Well you seem to be in the minority here thinking that's " fucking dumb ". It might very well be unlikely,but your argument is pointless. They could have a really good platform game half backed and then " if " they acquire Rare could slap a Banjo/Kazooie skin on it, I've seen it before ( even Mario Bros 2 in North America was just a Mario skinned Japanese platform game which I can't remember the name of ) . And Rare might be worthless to you, but some may still care.
Thus, do I dare to say your comment is " fucking dumb " ;)

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back in the good old days RARE used to make some of the best games around.
t8rxg.jpg

>Best game ever

YoshiKart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jetpac is why they can't release DK64. Jetpac is owned exclusively by RARE.

If true, and Nintendo's trying to reacquire some of the IPs we know and love, I will be greatly happy.

However I am highly skeptical.

Yeah, Jetpac is one of the bigger reasons. That, and there's also the abundance of Rare logos all over the game. Changing that would be much harder than what Microsoft got to do with BK: slap a Microsoft Game Studios logo on top of Rare's, and just drop the walking N64 logo.
DKC trilogy however was an exception. No Rare IPs, and the Rareware logo is a pretty memorable childhood logo. :P

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
YES. Give Rare back to the more superior company. God knows that every rare game with Microsoft has done so well...

When you think about the N64, I instantly think of RareWare. That's how good of a company they were. Nintendo should have NEVER sold them. and we would have had Banjo-Three-ee. and not this nuts and bolts bullshit (Yet again...sequels lose their charm after a while)

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
YES. Give Rare back to the more superior company. God knows that every rare game with Microsoft has done so well...

When you think about the N64, I instantly think of RareWare. That's how good of a company they were. Nintendo should have NEVER sold them. and we would have had Banjo-Three-ee. and not this nuts and bolts bullshit (Yet again...sequels lose their charm after a while)

In all honesty (and I'll probably get flamed for this), I think after Rare lost it in the noggin when told how "cute" their Conker 64 game was going to be (before BFD), the quality of their stuff started going downhill. Sure, their capability with the systems kept improving, but the games themselves started to lose flavor. That's why I think Nintendo let them go after Starfox Adventures. Unless they are somehow able to go back to their ways prior to going mad, I don't care to see them come back as a company. Get the IPs, and then be done with them.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds too silly/too good to be true. while i would love to see Banjo Kazooie back to its former glory I cannot see MS giving up the ip with the original 2 being available on live arcade

Supreme Dirt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
imo they should buy the company back, and then dismantle it after taking ownership of their IPs.

I'm sick of seeing my childhood shat on by this company that now calls itself Rare.

They're a shadow of their former self.

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
sounds too silly/too good to be true. while i would love to see Banjo Kazooie back to its former glory I cannot see MS giving up the ip with the original 2 being available on live arcade

why not ? it would mean that those two games could finally arrive on the virtual console and even goldeneye would be available on the virtual console if nintendo was to buy rare

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

why not ? it would mean that those two games could finally arrive on the virtual console and even goldeneye would be available on the virtual console if nintendo was to buy rare

while Banjo Kazooie will never sell Xbox's, it is an exclusive MS have over Nintendo, and one that I think MS would rather keep locked up than sell on

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Goldeneye is a whole other story as activision currently holds license for any bond games being released. Nintendo would have to aquire rights to the bond franchise and I'm not sure activision is going to give up their hold on it yet. Now if their contract expires and Nintendo works out a deal with the film studio for the franchise then we mighty see goldeneye on VC.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I dont know, if Nintendo does buy RARE back, it could be different. Think about it, with Microsoft, everything is pretty much closed minded. With Nintendo, RARE could get the go ahead from the big N and make whatever they make!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end