RUMOR: Nintendo wants RARE back

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snipped

one of the games that could have really been fixed up perfectly on the 360....for shame

OMG I have this game and Love it. It's a classic in my book.

can get complicated and confusing at times though.

is a great game, but fixed with a solid frame rate and dual analog controls I reckon this would have been perfect but oh well

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those are franchise's that should have stayed on Nintendo and never left, if this does turn out to be true that would be great since all they have done is collect dust since RARE was bought...tell me I'm wrong! :P

250px-Perfect_Dark_Zero_Coverart.png

Banjo-Kazooie_Nuts_%26_Bolts_Game_Cover.jpg

Quality is, um, "questionable" but they have been used since Rare changed hands.
Again, according to Grant Kirkhope, Rare had very little directional control over both of these games. They were guided at most development decisions and told what to make, rather than to make something out of their own accord as they did with most of their hits on the N64. While at Microsoft, almost all their games had agendas to fulfill, unfortunately. It didn't help that the original big team members started to lose interest too.

It's kinda a big question as to whether these are actually "Rare" titles or if they're titles coerced into existing because Microsoft demanded the games turn out like this.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Banjo Kazooie/Tooie and Donkey Kong 64 are apparently boring collectathons that are pretty weak compared to other 3D platformers (COUGH SPYRO THE DRAGON COUGH).
Spyro eclipsed anything Rare did on the N64.

I'll be honest looking back I can't think of any Rare title that is a stone cold classic. They've made enjoyable games so yes applaud them but they haven't made anything that can be considered a classic like Ocarina of Time, Mario Bros 3 or Sonic the hedgehog.

DKC series (up until Retro took over) was a pretty bog standard platformer that only stood out because 1. It had the DK name and 2. Had fancy graphics.

GoldenEye/Perfect Dark, as fun is the multiplayer, not aged well and are purely a nostalgia games.

Banjo series, nothing new or exciting you just run around some levels collecting stuff over and over.

Conkers Bad Fur Day but take the humour out and all you've got is another ok platformer that isn't that much better than Gex.

Killer Instinct, a generic fighter which again only stood out because of its graphics.

Closest they got was Battletoads but that had some level design issues. Jet Force Gemini again level design issue, controls suck with a regular n64 pad, awful story....actually story and level design has always been a problem with Rare's titles.

People also seem to forget that they did an absolute ton of crap in the 90's for Mattel and LJN and now seemingly are back to those standards again.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
And games like Mad World aren't?

Not developed or published by Nintendo.

My point is that Nintendo rarely gets behind mature titles and certainly wouldn't do something like Killer Instinct.

Well, Nintendo is the publisher for Zangeki no Reginleiv in Japan, so it wouldn't be as far-fetched as some would believe.

[yt]vXY-L37qROM[/yt]

Felipe_9595

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Banjo Kazooie/Tooie and Donkey Kong 64 are apparently boring collectathons that are pretty weak compared to other 3D platformers (COUGH SPYRO THE DRAGON COUGH).
Spyro eclipsed anything Rare did on the N64.

I'll be honest looking back I can't think of any Rare title that is a stone cold classic. They've made enjoyable games so yes applaud them but they haven't made anything that can be considered a classic like Ocarina of Time, Mario Bros 3 or Sonic the hedgehog.

DKC series (up until Retro took over) was a pretty bog standard platformer that only stood out because 1. It had the DK name and 2. Had fancy graphics.

GoldenEye/Perfect Dark, as fun is the multiplayer, not aged well and are purely a nostalgia games.

Banjo series, nothing new or exciting you just run around some levels collecting stuff over and over.

Conkers Bad Fur Day but take the humour out and all you've got is another ok platformer that isn't that much better than Gex.

Killer Instinct, a generic fighter which again only stood out because of its graphics.

Closest they got was Battletoads but that had some level design issues. Jet Force Gemini again level design issue, controls suck with a regular n64 pad, awful story....actually story and level design has always been a problem with Rare's titles.

People also seem to forget that they did an absolute ton of crap in the 90's for Mattel and LJN and now seemingly are back to those standards again.

wut

Killer Insctinct is still played. Today. in 2012. And there are tournaments. The gameplay is really deep,

And if you dont consider DKC 1-2 stone cold classic you must have some mental problems.

But i agree with you about Banjo.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Killer Insctinct is still played. Today. in 2012. And there are tournaments. The gameplay is really deep,

And if you dont consider DKC 1-2 stone cold classic you must have some mental problems.

There's probably Shaq Fu tournaments around but that's not because it's a good game.

What makes DKC so special outside of the graphics? It's not like the levels are honestly that genius in design. When Retro did DKCR they actually made intelligent, challenging levels. From what I played of the originals there's nothing really special. You jump and collect bananas. Whoopie.

Felipe_9595

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire

There's probably Shaq Fu tournaments around but that's not because it's a good game.

What makes DKC so special outside of the graphics? It's not like the levels are honestly that genius in design. When Retro did DKCR they actually made intelligent, challenging levels. From what I played of the originals there's nothing really special. You jump and collect bananas. Whoopie.

Then point why Killer Instinct is a generic fighter.

Outside graphics??? What about the gorgeus OST? Or the number of secrets? Yes, some levels are bland, but most of the levels are really great.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Outside graphics??? What about the gorgeus OST? Or the number of secrets? Yes, some levels are bland, but most of the levels are really great.

I think it's hard to have a pure platformer that DOESN'T have a lot of "secrets". And I hardly remember the soundtrack being "gorgeous".

In retrospect DKC is pretty weak compared to 2D platforming greats.

Reactions: 1 person

Felipe_9595

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire

I think it's hard to have a pure platformer that DOESN'T have a lot of "secrets". And I hardly remember the soundtrack being "gorgeous".

In retrospect DKC is pretty weak compared to 2D platforming greats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J67nkzoJ_2M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDvKwSVuUGA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS7_tcwsj4E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQFKCSfC250&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v18pEFQb3EM&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lyRI_M8ZXE&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70jMX8qK7dY

To name a few

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
............... Plus in the past what, 10 years, they've published 3 "mature" games? Plus they haven't even localized Fatal Frame II (which was just a port published by Nintendo anyway) or Disaster: Day of Crisis.

Dude, what are you smoking really ? Do you follow the scene at all , or just keep an eye open to shovelware so you can further discredit nintendo ?
From the top of my head right now, I can tell you that there are more then 3 M rated games on the Wii alone.....not all developed by Nintendo but certainly licensed by them:

Alone in the Dark
Brothers in Arms- Double Time
Call of Duty- Black Ops
Call of Duty- Modern Warfare Reflex
Call of Duty- Modern Warfare 3
Call of Duty- World at War
CSI- Deadly Intent
CSI- Fatal Conspiracy
CSI- Hard Evidence
Cursed Mountain
Dead Rising- Chop till you Drop
DeadSpace Extraction
Driver- Parallel Lines
Escape from Bug Island
Far Cry- Vengeance
House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return
House of the Dead- Overkill
Ju-On-The Grudge- Haunted House Simulator
MadWorld
Manhunt 2
Mortal Kombat Armageddon
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2- Desperate Struggle
Obscure- The Aftermath
Onechanbara- Bikini Zombie Slayers
Resident Evil Archives- Resident Evil
Resident Evil Archives- Resident Evil Zero
Resident Evil- The Umbrella Chronicles
Resident Evil- The Darkside Chronicles
Resident Evil 4- Wii Edition
Scarface- The World is Yours
Silent Hill- Shattered Memories
Sniper Elite
Target Terror
Tenchu- Shadow Assassins
The Godfather- Blackhand Edition
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell- Double Agent

And probably even more.
Nintendo is struggling to prove that they can appeal to the hardcore gamers, and took all the necessary steps in order to do so, all of which led to the development of the Wii U and its controller.

So please, stop the crap about Nintendo being just children friendly console, that shit's got sooooo old !

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
............... Plus in the past what, 10 years, they've published 3 "mature" games? Plus they haven't even localized Fatal Frame II (which was just a port published by Nintendo anyway) or Disaster: Day of Crisis.

Dude, what are you smoking really ? Do you follow the scene at all , or just keep an eye open to shovelware so you can further discredit nintendo ?
From the top of my head right now, I can tell you that there are more then 3 M rated games on the Wii alone.....not all developed by Nintendo but certainly licensed by them:

Alone in the Dark
Call of Duty- Black Ops
CSI- Deadly Intent
CSI- Fatal Conspiracy
CSI- Hard Evidence
Cursed Mountain
DeadSpace Extraction
Driver- Parallel Lines
Escape from Bug Island
Far Cry- Vengeance
MadWorld
Manhunt 2
Mortal Kombat Armageddon
No More Heroes
Obscure- The Aftermath
Sniper Elite
Target Terror
Tenchu- Shadow Assassins

And probably even more.
Nintendo is struggling to prove that they can appeal to the hardcore gamers, and took all the necessary steps in order to do so, all of which led to the development of the Wii U and its controller.
Not one of them are by Nintendo or published by Nintendo. Nintendo are focused on games all the family can play, its not a bad thing at all. It's their thing, when they go for higher ratings with games like Geist and Eternal Darkness they get games that don't sell well.

Reactions: 2 people

Felipe_9595

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire

Alone in the Dark
Call of Duty- Black Ops
CSI- Deadly Intent
CSI- Fatal Conspiracy
CSI- Hard Evidence
Cursed Mountain
DeadSpace Extraction
Driver- Parallel Lines
Escape from Bug Island
Far Cry- Vengeance
MadWorld
Manhunt 2
Mortal Kombat Armageddon
No More Heroes
Obscure- The Aftermath
Sniper Elite
Target Terror
Tenchu- Shadow Assassins

And probably even more.
Not one of them are by Nintendo or published by Nintendo. Nintendo are focused on games all the family can play, its not a bad thing at all. It's their thing, when they go for higher ratings with games like Geist and Eternal Darkness they get games that don't sell well.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Mario World has some really mediocre levels. But it has more good than mediocre levels. Same happens with DKC.
Who mentioned SMW? You're of course 100% wrong though, bless your little cotton socks.

Also you should respect Miyamoto, he has done more with is life and given more to the world than you ever would. Shit I bet his Wii Music is better than your best work.

Reactions: 1 person

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Alone in the Dark
Call of Duty- Black Ops
CSI- Deadly Intent
CSI- Fatal Conspiracy
CSI- Hard Evidence
Cursed Mountain
DeadSpace Extraction
Driver- Parallel Lines
Escape from Bug Island
Far Cry- Vengeance
MadWorld
Manhunt 2
Mortal Kombat Armageddon
No More Heroes
Obscure- The Aftermath
Sniper Elite
Target Terror
Tenchu- Shadow Assassins

And probably even more.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If rare comes back to nintendo and makes Killer Instinct 3 or a new conker's bad fur day for Wii-u, that's the only thing that would make me buy a Wii-u at launch.
(Bad fur day64 and KI gold ports for 3ds ftw!)
Sadly, none of this will happen and ill just wait for a couple price drops to get wiiu if I do at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I will admit that one does seem more interesting than the usual Ambernic ones, and I already liked those.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I dread the price point.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This looks like one of their premium models, so... $150 :glare:
    +1
    To me that seems reasonable.
    I mean since basically all the games are errmmm free lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean yeah sure but the specs are the same as a $50 model, it's just those pesky "quality of life" things driving up the price, like an actually working speaker, or buttons that don't melt, and stuff like that.
    +1
    I think all in my Pi 4 was well north of 200 bucks 150ish for the Pi 4 the case the fancy cooler, then like 70 for the 500GB MicroSD then like 70 for the Xbox controller. But honestly it's a nice set up I really enjoy and to me was worth every penny. (even bought more controllers for 2 or 4 player games.) hmmm have never played any 2 player games yet :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah that's what I hate about the RPi, it's supposedly $30 or something but it takes an additional $200 of accessories to actually turn it into a working something.
    yes that's the expensive part lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean sure it's flexible and stuff but so is uremum but it's fiddly.
    Yeah a lot of it I consider a hobby, using Batocera I am constantly adjusting the collection adding and removing stuff, scraping the artwork. Haven't even started on some music for the theme... Also way down the road I am considering attempting to do a WiiFlow knock off lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I want everything served on a plate plz ktnx, "work" is too much work for me.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Hmm, with that in mind, maybe a complete out-the-box solution with all the games collected, pacthed and optimized for me would be worth $150 :unsure:
    Yeah it's all choice and that's a good thing :)
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    animal crossing new leaf 11pm music
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    avatars-kKKZnC8XiW7HEUw0-KdJMsw-t1080x1080.jpg
    wokey d pronouns
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wokey d pronouns when woku walks in

"CALL ME THEY SLASH THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM"
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :tpi::rofl2::rofl2: Right on point :rofl2::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    politics forum is def a place that exists
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
    +1
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: lol +1