nloding

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So I've kinda become addicted to RPG's lately after playing FFIII nonstop for the last couple days (even though I'm pissed at that game right now).

What other RPG's are worth a damn?

Mario and Luigi: Partners In Time (yes)
Lost In Blue (yes)
Contact (??)
Deep Labyrinth (??)
Lost Magic (??)

Any recommendations?

Gestahl

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I didn't find any of them particularly addicting (well, maybe Lost Magic stands out) so I'll recommend Final Fantasy V Advance.
smile.gif

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mario & Luigi PIT, Mario & Luigi supersaga, FFV Advance, FFVI advance, FF Anthology, FF3, FF4 advance, FF Tactics Advance, Riviera, Golden Sun series, Children of Mana (despite how many people hating it, I still thought it was ok, just repetitive leveling). Lost in Blue isn't exactly an RPG, and I could never get into that one. Action RPGs of course my kudos goes to Konami for the Castlevania series, which were all good on GBA and DS.

jalapeno

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not that much into RPG's but i really enjoyed the following:

Contact
FF III

offtopic:

I grew tired of Mario & Luigi after about 3 hours,

Paper Mario 64, and Super Mario RPG [SNES] are much better

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I gotta strongly vote against mario and luigi partners in time
the sprites look like shit, tiles are way too big and fucked up any chance of creative level design, story is ass, battles are half as fun as the GBA original, and the babies cry way too much

so if you want to play an RPG with a shitty story, BAD BAD BAD level design, no overworld, really bad sprite animations and some annoying sounds, play partners in time.
it is seriously so bad I can't believe it, just like yoshis island DS, reviewers have no idea how to assess a good game and just throw in an extra 5 points for the brand they raped

seriously, its the one game I regret buying, and I bought asphalt urban gt

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I gotta strongly vote against mario and luigi partners in time
the sprites look like shit, tiles are way too big and fucked up any chance of creative level design, story is ass, battles are half as fun as the GBA original, and the babies cry way too much

so if you want to play an RPG with a shitty story, BAD BAD BAD level design, no overworld, really bad sprite animations and some annoying sounds, play partners in time.
it is seriously so bad I can't believe it, just like yoshis island DS, reviewers have no idea how to assess a good game and just throw in an extra 5 points for the brand they raped

seriously, its the one game I regret buying, and I bought asphalt urban gt

One thing in your post is correct, there is no overworld. The rest, I'm afraid, is entirely wrong. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time was great, my only complaint is that it was over too soon.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
are you kidding me? the battle's I'll admit hold up pretty well, but I still think they're only half as good as the GBA battles, why they got rid of bro attacks- I have no idea..

everything else sucked, areas were based entirely around specific moves, so there is absolutely no replay value in the baron areas, unless you really want to dig up all those beans, which was actually enjoyable in the GBA version because you had a nice big overworld with some really nicely designed areas.

sprites suck. they suck, they absolutely suck, usually when they start making the graphics for the game, they'll start with the main character sprites so they can start testing the engines, this is obviously the case as the main character sprites are the worst in the game, mario runs like a fucking retard when he isn't carrying a baby and they all look pretty stupid standing still, they shouldve established a more consistant style by making some npc's first.
back to level design, I have no idea why they wanted to use un-pixeled tiles, still, that doesnt really matter, just breaks up the art direction more, but why they used 32x32 tiles when they give you only half the creative control, I cant be bothered going into it here, everyone should recognize its repetitive and empty area design, moving from place to place is incredibly boring...

just forget this game, its a fucking travesty. play the GBA one, its perfect

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All this from a pixel artist.
happy.gif

So I guess you can't argue with him, but you can still play the game. I liked it for a while, but then figured out my self that the game _did_ suck in several ways. But that shouldn't hold back people who like RPG games.

asphalt urban gt sucked, but it was the best racing game IMO.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i agree. when the main characters walk, it just doesnt look right!! its like there legs are a closed pair of scissors and when they walk the left leg goes forward and the back leg moves back. i know what .takam means, it aint pretty!

larvi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found Digimon World DS enjoyable, I put quite a few hours into playing it and I had never played any of the previous digimon games.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Re: Mario and Luigi: Partners in time

I got bored with it pretty soon, let my brother play through it, and then just battled the final boss(es). I generally don't like Final Fantasy style artificial playtime-inflating, making you go through thousands of "random ebcounters" to level up or gain EXP, adding to the game's duration. The puzzles were OK, and the bizarre details like squishing the babies to make them fit through slots or float on the ventilator updraft got a laugh out of me, but the rest was pretty repetitive. Bump into enemies, battle enemies, gain moustache points. Repeat. Every thousand encounters, solve a puzzle to get a bit further. Repeat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Laid at the party is fun unless you're in prison lol