RPG's for DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by nloding, Jan 17, 2007.

Jan 17, 2007

RPG's for DS by nloding at 6:57 PM (1,911 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. nloding
    OP

Member nloding GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So I've kinda become addicted to RPG's lately after playing FFIII nonstop for the last couple days (even though I'm pissed at that game right now).

What other RPG's are worth a damn?

Mario and Luigi: Partners In Time (yes)
    Lost In Blue (yes)
    Contact (??)
    Deep Labyrinth (??)
    Lost Magic (??)

Any recommendations?

2. mr_blonde_88

Member mr_blonde_88 Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That

United Kingdom
    Magical Starsign

3. Gestahl

Member Gestahl GBAtemp Regular

Russia
    I didn't find any of them particularly addicting (well, maybe Lost Magic stands out) so I'll recommend Final Fantasy V Advance. [​IMG]

4. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    Mario & Luigi PIT, Mario & Luigi supersaga, FFV Advance, FFVI advance, FF Anthology, FF3, FF4 advance, FF Tactics Advance, Riviera, Golden Sun series, Children of Mana (despite how many people hating it, I still thought it was ok, just repetitive leveling). Lost in Blue isn't exactly an RPG, and I could never get into that one. Action RPGs of course my kudos goes to Konami for the Castlevania series, which were all good on GBA and DS.

5. jalapeno

Member jalapeno GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I'm not that much into RPG's but i really enjoyed the following:

Contact
    FF III

offtopic:

I grew tired of Mario & Luigi after about 3 hours,

Paper Mario 64, and Super Mario RPG [SNES] are much better

6. Sil3n7

Member Sil3n7 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    FF Tactics Advance Pwns hard! I cant wait for the sequel on the ds! [​IMG]

7. blitzpatzer

Newcomer blitzpatzer Member

Thailand
    Tactics ogre is much better, try it. To bad the animations are very slow, and you can't skip the cut-scenes.

8. iamwhoiam

Member iamwhoiam Honorary R4 Fanboy

United Kingdom
    ditto exactly! hey, add my mognet friend code (in my sig)

9. Subt3xt

Newcomer Subt3xt Member

Canada
    Add another vote for Contact, I thought it was amazing.

I'm also loved FF IV Advance and FF V Advance.

Goodluckhavefun!~

10. -WW-

Newcomer -WW- Member

Sweden
    The Zelda games on GBA, damnit!

11. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    I gotta strongly vote against mario and luigi partners in time
    the sprites look like shit, tiles are way too big and fucked up any chance of creative level design, story is ass, battles are half as fun as the GBA original, and the babies cry way too much

so if you want to play an RPG with a shitty story, BAD BAD BAD level design, no overworld, really bad sprite animations and some annoying sounds, play partners in time.
    it is seriously so bad I can't believe it, just like yoshis island DS, reviewers have no idea how to assess a good game and just throw in an extra 5 points for the brand they raped

seriously, its the one game I regret buying, and I bought asphalt urban gt

12. Bowser128

Member Bowser128 King Koopa

United Kingdom

One thing in your post is correct, there is no overworld. The rest, I'm afraid, is entirely wrong. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time was great, my only complaint is that it was over too soon.

13. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    Castlevania: PoR.
    The only rpg I have spent time on (leveling, etc.)

14. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    are you kidding me? the battle's I'll admit hold up pretty well, but I still think they're only half as good as the GBA battles, why they got rid of bro attacks- I have no idea..

everything else sucked, areas were based entirely around specific moves, so there is absolutely no replay value in the baron areas, unless you really want to dig up all those beans, which was actually enjoyable in the GBA version because you had a nice big overworld with some really nicely designed areas.

sprites suck. they suck, they absolutely suck, usually when they start making the graphics for the game, they'll start with the main character sprites so they can start testing the engines, this is obviously the case as the main character sprites are the worst in the game, mario runs like a fucking retard when he isn't carrying a baby and they all look pretty stupid standing still, they shouldve established a more consistant style by making some npc's first.
    back to level design, I have no idea why they wanted to use un-pixeled tiles, still, that doesnt really matter, just breaks up the art direction more, but why they used 32x32 tiles when they give you only half the creative control, I cant be bothered going into it here, everyone should recognize its repetitive and empty area design, moving from place to place is incredibly boring...

just forget this game, its a fucking travesty. play the GBA one, its perfect

15. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    All this from a pixel artist. [​IMG]

So I guess you can't argue with him, but you can still play the game. I liked it for a while, but then figured out my self that the game _did_ suck in several ways. But that shouldn't hold back people who like RPG games.

asphalt urban gt sucked, but it was the best racing game IMO.

16. kristianity77

Member kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

United Kingdom
    i agree. when the main characters walk, it just doesnt look right!! its like there legs are a closed pair of scissors and when they walk the left leg goes forward and the back leg moves back. i know what .takam means, it aint pretty!

17. larvi

Member larvi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I found Digimon World DS enjoyable, I put quite a few hours into playing it and I had never played any of the previous digimon games.

18. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Re: Mario and Luigi: Partners in time

I got bored with it pretty soon, let my brother play through it, and then just battled the final boss(es). I generally don't like Final Fantasy style artificial playtime-inflating, making you go through thousands of "random ebcounters" to level up or gain EXP, adding to the game's duration. The puzzles were OK, and the bizarre details like squishing the babies to make them fit through slots or float on the ventilator updraft got a laugh out of me, but the rest was pretty repetitive. Bump into enemies, battle enemies, gain moustache points. Repeat. Every thousand encounters, solve a puzzle to get a bit further. Repeat.

19. Fantatier

Newcomer Fantatier Member

Germany
    "Partners in Time" was kinda fun but after a while I got bored to. I don't think that the graphics are as bad as TakaM said, but I'm no pixel artist [​IMG]