Router Recommendations

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Zetta_x, Oct 22, 2010.

Oct 22, 2010

Router Recommendations by Zetta_x at 6:40 PM (541 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Zetta_x
    OP

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    I have been spending the last hour reading different router specifications looking for one that has good reviews and I fail to find one where I can use both N and G wireless connectivity with getting mainly good posts.

I'm not really concerned with one that is easy to set up, I'll be willing to put the effort to figure out how to set up any router if anyone can recommend a good router that can do both G and N at the same time. If that is not possible, I'll be willing to settle for just a good G router.

Thanks in advance!

2. 0ddity

Member 0ddity GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I bought this one a few months ago, it's been great.

http://www.dlink.com/dir-601

It can run mixed 802.11n, 802.11g and 802.11b concurrently, or run just n and g, n and b, or just n g or b.

3. Zetta_x
    OP

United States
    Sweet! No problems with running G/N concurrently? Also, does it have a modem built in because the router that I have that has crapped out has a modem built in and I don't have a modem.

Thanks for the recommendation!

4. 0ddity

Member 0ddity GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    It doesn't have a DSL or Cable modem built in, it's just the wireless router. I've had no problems running N/G concurrently, my desktop uses a G nic, and my wife's laptop uses N, and they both get decent coverage all through the house and even garage with the router in the basement. As for the modem, you'll have to buy that separate, or you'll need to get a different router with one built in. It shouldn't be hard to find a used wired cable or dsl modem on something like Craigslist for cheap.

5. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Anything that can support DD-wrt, or tomato firmware will be quite good. DSL or Cable?

6. Zetta_x
    OP

United States
    Thanks 0ddity, I will look for a modem!

Looking for DSL router. I never had any experience with DD-wrt or tomato firmware. I'll look into those.