Pleng

Custom Title
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Here's the situation:

My main computer (host) is running Windows 10 and is connected to my router via ethernet.
I usually have OpenVPN client running connected to my workplace network.
I occasionally disconnect from my OpenVPN and use a custom client from supermagictotalawesomedotcomevpn.com in order to bypass geo-restrictions to enable me to view media from my home country. This uses the Wireguard protocol.

It would be convenient if I could host a WiFi network on my computer to share whichever connection is active on the computer with my phone, laptop etc, enabling all devices to either have access to my workplace or supermagic vpn.

I originally though of using WiFi hotspot, but this only allows you to share one connection; one of the two vpns, or the plain old ethernet connection.

I then thought of bridging the ethernet, OpenVPN and supermagic connection, and sharing the bridged connection. This seems to work with the OpenVPN connection, but once superawesome is added, the host loses all access to the internet. Whats more, superawesome seems to create a new virtual network adapter in windows network device manager when creating a new connection, and deletes it when the connection is closed. Therefore I the whole automated aspect of this is lost.

What I am looking for is a way to create a wifi network which will share the internet of my Win10 host, whatever connection that may be. I came across a software package called "Virtual Router Plus" but this doesn't seem to have been updated since 2016 and doesn't even say if it will achieve what I want... I think it's basically a hotspot application for pre Windows 10. Obviosuly any Google search for something like "Windows 10 virtual router software" just brings up a bunch of tutorials on how to set up the build in hotspot, so nothing useful there.

I'm not looking to spend any significant money so a new hardware router is out of the question. Switching my main OS to Linux is also not an option. So is what I want to achieve possible using just Windows 10? Or am I SOL?

Elodain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I'm shocked nobody answered this one.

https://github.com/crpietschmann/VirtualRouter

This is what I used back in the day when I wanted to play some Original DS online without having to disable or downgrade the security on my main router. Back then it allowed you to make the virtual router unsecured to it was perfect. I don't think you can do an unsecured one anymore with it from what I can tell, but if you're using it nonstop you wouldn't want that anyway. Keep in mind though there is a possibility that your WIFI module in your computer may not support the functions needed for it to work. It probably will, but I'll toss that disclaimer in just in case.

In the future when you buy a new computer, it might be worth getting one with networking equipment from a company like Killer built into it. With my laptop I have Killer wifi and ethernet in it and the included software is capable of a feature they call "Wireless Xtend" which is basically a fancy way of saying a Virtual Router. That way instead of having to use third party software you have an official baked in method of doing it.

I'm not completely sure if your VPN connection will work with either of these, but since it's bumming the connection from the VPN connected computer, I don't see why it wouldn't.

Pleng

Custom Title
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Thanks for that. I think I came across this when looking for options. I was probably put off by the fact that it's names "virtual router" but then describes itself as a "WiFi hotspot"... which made it look essentially the same as the built in Win10 tool.

I may investigate again. Right now I don't have much time to put into finding a solution to this problem.

isaacgamer561

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hola, una pregunta, ¿cómo quitaron la seguridad del enrutador virtual para que pueda conectar mi ds a Internet en línea, gracias

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well, after a day of pain, i'm gonna catch some zs