• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Romney vs. Obama

who will/would you vote for?

• Barack Obama

Votes: 158 76.0%
  • Mitt Romney

Votes: 50 24.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted-185407

Giving states even more room to violate the rights of others rather then giving more of a push to give
equal rights to everyone is scary.

Didn't happen here therefor , surely, none of the 50 states of America wouldn't do something to violate rights. Do you know how big USA is?

What's to stop slavery or the killing of a group, if the majority of the state wants that and the federal nor other states can't step in to stop such violating of rights?

The ideals of state governments being untrustworthy, while the federal government are perfectly trustworthy is terrifying except the fact the fact I never said that.

It scary how all that can happen in a state and no one out of that state can do anything about it.

It's funny that you say "how small I'd be in making a influence, and how I'd be barely able to influence what goes on there" when you are welling to throw away your vote for a statement rather vote
for the best of the Country. When you want push away federal government when it is a way to get outside help from other states when you are a minority in a state that want to take away your rights.

No, federal government isn't perfect, but when it works it works well.

Not completely related,but...

Why on earth do you think states want to take away human rights, when recent activities prove that they want to enhance people's freedoms (eg. drug legalisation)? Has any state recently said anything about wanting to legalise slavery again? On the other hand, how many times have states wanted to do something positive, yet are being held back by the federal government? I'd say quite a lot. Let's not forget, the federal government is known to be composed of idiots who don't even read what they're voting on, and barely work as it is.

Your reasons against states having control is the same reason to not let federal government have control. However, at least on a state level, if you're not satisfied, you can easily vote out your state government through relatively simple state-level campaigning, rather than having to campaign across all 50 states. And if that fails, at least you can just move to a different state, whereas if the federal government had control, you'd have no choice but the leave the US completely. Feel free to come up with a fair list of pros and cons though that prove that a federal government is superior over letting states do as they please. Oh, let's not try to refer to ridiculous nonsense like slavery, as the federal government can do the same damage, if not worse.

And if you haven't been reading, nobody is making a statement when they "throw away their vote". You're voting for the best of the country when you're using your vote, no matter who it's for (so long as it's a real person). If you believe you're the right person for the job, vote for yourself. 1 vote is 1 vote. It's like you've all completely forgotten what the definition of a vote is.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I also don't get this idea that the tyrrany of the state is less oppressive than the tyrrany of the federal government. How long would it have taken to end racial segregation if every state had to decide separately?

Seems a lot of support for candidates like Ron Paul comes from people who don't give a fuck if teenagers g et arrested for abortion or blasphemy in Kansas as long as they can smoke weed in California.

Reactions: Phoenix Goddess

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
American politics, you are just so bi-polar and so unnecessarily difficult. I will never truly understand you. And I have a fucking politics degree.

Anyhows the polls are suggesting Obama albeit by a photo finish. One thing that interests me is the varying mood from four years ago. In 2008 it seemed America ( or at to be more precise Obama voters) were drunk on change and hope. Now in 2012, everyone has sobered up and trying to be pragmatic with Obama seemingly going from "change we need," to "change we need but."

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last four yeas have sucked economically so I voted for Romny with great enthusiasm because I know this isn't as good as it gets. There's huge differences between statism and free markets. I think Romny wins because I haven't met one enthusiastic Obama supporter. They are all saying "oh well the other guy Os just as bad". You don't win if that's your attitude

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We can both construct a logical path as to how we come about to our morals, but it's still an emotion that's tied to that moral.
I've already explained how morality is logically defined, and you've already conceded that emotions are also tied to logic.

You've crushed your entire credibility about morals by stating that ethics and morals are the same.
Even if I were wrong that "morals" and "ethics" are synonymous, which they are, it wouldn't "crush my entire credibility about morals." Nice try though.

Morals are personal, ethics are more like rules that a society follows.
"Morals" don't just pertain to the personal, and "ethics" don't just pertain just to specific company or societal rules. You can use them that way, but that's not what they necessarily always mean.

In any company, you have a code of ethics, and if you breach those ethics, you could potentially put yourself into trouble. However, your morals may not coincide with that company's ethics, yet you have to follow them anyways. Let's tie it again to the piracy argument, I don't see a problem with it, which is my morals, yet the company's code of ethics state that I can't use their network to download illegal material. I don't see the problem with accepting a gift from a client, but some company's code of ethics will frown upon it because it can be considered a bribe. They're two very different things.
You're only distinguishing between the two in your example by talking about "ethics" as "company ethics," using the word synonymously with "rules;" I am not arguing that morals are necessarily the same thing as an established set of rules by a group of people (in fact, that has been my whole point). In the general sense, saying something is or is not "moral" is the same thing as saying something is or is not "ethical." Again, nice try.

I'm not arguing that people don't have varying views on morality; for example, I think piracy is immoral and some people think piracy is moral. However, I've already shown that morality can be quantified if we establish a definition of "morality," and unless you're arguing that objective logic doesn't exist, then your argument falls apart and piracy is or is not objectively moral.

Your questions are completely meaningless because they don't prove that the federal government should be allowed to have control over issues either.
Depending on how you answer the questions, they actually do show that the federal government, courts, etc. should be allowed to intervene when a state gets it wrong. Answer my questions or concede my points. Otherwise, it's apparent that you're not interested in having a conversation.

But let's answer something here: What's so wrong with people having more options, and more power to get issues they want solved?
Because then you would have had states where slavery was legal with there being no course of action other than to wait and hope the states criminalize slavery. You realize you're arguing against the abolition of slavery, yes?

You keep bringing back a ridiculous notion that states are immediately going to allow slavery should they get their way.
That's not at all what I'm arguing.

You're going to have some unfortunate issues here and there, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons. Seems logical.
Allowing slavery to be legal in some states is illogical because slavery is immoral, just like it would be illogical to allow murder to be legal in some states.

What's the big deal with having ties to terrorist organisations?
As a matter of national security, it's an important consideration that Iran has ties with terrorist groups that would use nuclear weapons against us if they had the chance.

As for the "cockblocking", easily proven, by the fact that everyone else keeps spreading that such and such a person is a waste of a vote.
What's proven?

By stating someone is a waste of a vote, you're influencing people not to vote for that person.
People are stating that third-party candidates are a waste of a vote because not enough people are voting for those candidates in order for them to be politically viable; it's not the other way around. If it is the other way around, I'd like to see some evidence of that.

If a voter was told that a third-party candidate has a good chance of winning, do you think they're going to be influenced by that?
Yes, but it has got to be true for it to mean anything. If it's not true, then you're just tricking someone into throwing his or her vote away.

You're part of the problem, attempting to disenfranchise voters, when in fact, a vote for Obama is the same as a vote for Romney, which is the same as a vote for Johnson, which is the same as a vote for yourself, which is not the same as a vote for Pikachu. Your probability calculations may be correct, but it doesn't change the value of a vote, which is 1.
No, a write-in vote for me, despite the fact that it's worth 1 vote, does not have as much of an influence on the results of the election as a vote for Romney or Obama.

The last four yeas have sucked economically so I voted for Romny with great enthusiasm because I know this isn't as good as it gets.
No one claims this is as good as it gets. The economy has improved under President Obama, but we were in a pretty deep hole.

I think Romny wins because I haven't met one enthusiastic Obama supporter.
Hi.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why on earth do you think states want to take away human rights, when recent activities prove that they want to enhance people's freedoms (eg. drug legalisation)? Has any state recently said anything about wanting to legalise slavery again? On the other hand, how many times have states wanted to do something positive, yet are being held back by the federal government? I'd say quite a lot. Let's not forget, the federal government is known to be composed of idiots who don't even read what they're voting on, and barely work as it is.
Just because there isn't out spoken support of it now, doesn't mean that they wouldn't want it.
"Quite a lot"? Examples?

Your reasons against states having control is the same reason to not let federal government have control. However, at least on a state level, if you're not satisfied, you can easily vote out your state government through relatively simple state-level campaigning, rather than having to campaign across all 50 states. And if that fails, at least you can just move to a different state, whereas if the federal government had control, you'd have no choice but the leave the US completely. Feel free to come up with a fair list of pros and cons though that prove that a federal government is superior over letting states do as they please. Oh, let's not try to refer to ridiculous nonsense like slavery, as the federal government can do the same damage, if not worse.
So, it possibly, give up you rights or move? I shouldn't have to give up my rights or move.
That no better then telling someone to leave the USA.

So, you can't accept that possibly, so let's just throw that out of the window?

Also, states do work together when things like SOPA, try to pass. So, isn't like the federal government
doesn't get check too.

And if you haven't been reading, nobody is making a statement when they "throw away their vote". You're voting for the best of the country when you're using your vote, no matter who it's for (so long as it's a real person). If you believe you're the right person for the job, vote for yourself. 1 vote is 1 vote. It's like you've all completely forgotten what the definition of a vote is.
I have been reading.
I rather vote for the best of what we got for the Country than waste my vote for
someone isn't going to decide the election. Thought Obama was mine #1 choice anyway,so...
yeah.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last four yeas have sucked economically so I voted for Romny with great enthusiasm because I know this isn't as good as it gets. There's huge differences between statism and free markets. I think Romny wins because I haven't met one enthusiastic Obama supporter. They are all saying "oh well the other guy Os just as bad". You don't win if that's your attitude

You can't even correctly spell the name of the guy you voted for.

And nice to meet you, I'm an enthusiastic Obama supporter :)

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cant wait for this election to be over so all these campaign ads can go away -.- To me it doesn't really matter who wins. As long as the man in charge tries to the best of his ability to provide for the people, and represent our nation, Im fine.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Congrats on voting on the worse it can get.

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You spelled Mitt's name wrong, it's Romney.
Also the economy has improved since Obama has been in office. Not to mention Mitt promises to fix the economy with the same plan that got us into this problem. I strongly doubt using the same plan over and over again will show different results.
Also hello, I am an enthusiastic Obama supporter!

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Facts and social beliefs are two entirely different matters and are not comparable at all.
This statement is inaccurate. Oftentimes social beliefs are factual claims, such as, "_______ is bad for society." That's a factual claim that can be tested and evaluated much like a scientific hypothesis can. There's a whole faculty dedicated to the study of such "social beliefs", and it's called "social science". If you disagree that social beliefs can be factual claims, provide an actual counter-argument, please.

Localise local issues as much as possible... I can definitely agree with that. In case you missed it, I was specifically referring to the Irish law re: abortion. In order to "localise" this issue, the issue should be dealt with at the individual level, for it's a private matter concerning only the individual person. It's absolutely not a national issue, and a pregnant Irish woman's pregnancy concerns a random Irish man just as much as it concerns a random German man. If you're for "localisation" then I presume you'd support shifting the responsibilities of making abortion laws and decisions from the national government to the municipalities, for instance?

I think you've mistaken what others have said about the relationship between federal and state governments on morality. The larger government is not inherently more moral, neither is the smaller government inherently more moral; and by "moral" I mean "right" in their decisions. Both levels of government have the capacity to make wrong decisions. But it appears to me, you've been arguing, that it's always better to leave the responsibilities of decision making to the smaller government, as a rule with no exceptions, even when those decisions are clearly wrong.

When a government made a clearly wrong decision, that decision should be overturned, regardless of the level of government it is. What if the federal government legalised slavery? Either the states and the people overturn it, or the international community would have an obligation to get involved to reverse that decision. What if the state government legalised slavery? Same thing. Either the people overturned it, or the federal government would be obliged to step in.

Should states (or the federal government, for that matter) always have unchallenged control over issues of human rights? Because 9 out of 10 times when I hear the "state rights Vs. federal rights" debate, it's over some issue concerning human rights, eg. same-sex marriage, abortion, health care, slavery, etc. How much "tailoring" can you really do to those human right issues, I wonder, without flat out breaking the human right? It seems to me you can either honour the human right, or...well, not honour it?

Reactions: Lacius

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last thing I'll be posting in this thread, at least till after tomorrow's over ... just to point out to you guys, polls are bullshit. So don't get cocky over the results of recent polls if you think they're good, or worry much if you think they're bad. Just vote your conscience (even if that means you choose not to vote, which is a valid alternative, given the choices available to us this time around).

This is from the day before the 1980 election, and according to the AP, national polls were 'too close to call.' Turned out to be the 2nd biggest blowout ever. Something about the pollsters' methods, perhaps? I'm not posting this to suggest what tomorrow's outcome will be -- only that the polls aren't as accurate as many believe.

523036_10151059931831384_1840194042_n.jpg

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last thing I'll be posting in this thread, at least till after tomorrow's over ... just to point out to you guys, polls are bullshit. So don't get cocky over the results of recent polls if you think they're good, or worry much if you think they're bad. Just vote your conscience (even if that means you choose not to vote, which is a valid alternative, given the choices available to us this time around).

This is from the day before the 1980 election, and according to the AP, national polls were 'too close to call.' Turned out to be the 2nd biggest blowout ever. Something about the pollsters' methods, perhaps? I'm not posting this to suggest what tomorrow's outcome will be -- only that the polls aren't as accurate as many believe.
It's a myth that Reagan didn't lead the polls in that election. Even if he hadn't, there are many reasons why polling is more reliable in 2012 than it was in 1980.

Speaking of polls, Nate Silver has updated his forecast to give President Obama a 91.4% chance of winning the election.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a myth that Reagan didn't lead the polls in that election. Even if he hadn't, there are many reasons why polling is more reliable in 2012 than it was in 1980.

Speaking of polls, Nate Silver has updated his forecast to give President Obama a 91.4% chance of winning the election.
http://electoral-vote.com/
I know it's too close to tell, but I'm a bit worry with Florida going to the other side.
:(

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's not the point ... whether Carter or Reagan were leading at any certain point, or whether polling is more reliable now than then (we always are susceptible to that conceit, aren't we ... people of the past were idiots, but we are very intelligent ... sure) .... no, the point is, the day before the 1980 election, which was an absolute, certain win for Reagan and everyone knew it ... the MEDIA was still trying to tell the public that it was neck and neck.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last thing I'll be posting in this thread, at least till after tomorrow's over ...
Whoops.

(we always are susceptible to that conceit, aren't we ... people of the past were idiots, but we are very intelligent ... sure)
I linked to very specific reasons why we should trust polls more now than back then, and they have nothing to do with anyone having been an idiot.

no, the point is, the day before the 1980 election, which was an absolute, certain win for Reagan and everyone knew it ... the MEDIA was still trying to tell the public that it was neck and neck.
If your point is about the media and not about the polls, then I'd agree with you that the media usually paints a picture of a race being closer than it actually is, and 2012 is arguably an example of this. In no way am I arguing that Governor Romney can't win, but the odds are in President Obama's favor.

http://electoral-vote.com/
I know it's too close to tell, but I'm a bit worry with Florida going to the other side.
:(
The likelihood is very small that Florida will provide the deciding electoral vote. While Florida is way too close to call, it doesn't look like President Obama needs it.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, it's worth noting that the problem sometimes lies with those reporting the polling, rather than the poll takers themselves.

Tight election races draw more interest from viewers, so there's an incentive to portray a race as close when it might not actually be that way. Poll results may be cherry picked, or outright misconstrued, to aid this narrative. It's something that Nate Silver has written about extensively.

D

Deleted-185407

I've already explained how morality is logically defined, and you've already conceded that emotions are also tied to logic.

Even if I were wrong that "morals" and "ethics" are synonymous, which they are, it wouldn't "crush my entire credibility about morals." Nice try though.

"Morals" don't just pertain to the personal, and "ethics" don't just pertain just to specific company or societal rules. You can use them that way, but that's not what they necessarily always mean.

You're only distinguishing between the two in your example by talking about "ethics" as "company ethics," using the word synonymously with "rules;" I am not arguing that morals are necessarily the same thing as an established set of rules by a group of people (in fact, that has been my whole point). In the general sense, saying something is or is not "moral" is the same thing as saying something is or is not "ethical." Again, nice try.

I'm not arguing that people don't have varying views on morality; for example, I think piracy is immoral and some people think piracy is moral. However, I've already shown that morality can be quantified if we establish a definition of "morality," and unless you're arguing that objective logic doesn't exist, then your argument falls apart and piracy is or is not objectively moral.

Depending on how you answer the questions, they actually do show that the federal government, courts, etc. should be allowed to intervene when a state gets it wrong. Answer my questions or concede my points. Otherwise, it's apparent that you're not interested in having a conversation.

Because then you would have had states where slavery was legal with there being no course of action other than to wait and hope the states criminalize slavery. You realize you're arguing against the abolition of slavery, yes?

That's not at all what I'm arguing.

Allowing slavery to be legal in some states is illogical because slavery is immoral, just like it would be illogical to allow murder to be legal in some states.

As a matter of national security, it's an important consideration that Iran has ties with terrorist groups that would use nuclear weapons against us if they had the chance.

What's proven?

People are stating that third-party candidates are a waste of a vote because not enough people are voting for those candidates in order for them to be politically viable; it's not the other way around. If it is the other way around, I'd like to see some evidence of that.

Yes, but it has got to be true for it to mean anything. If it's not true, then you're just tricking someone into throwing his or her vote away.

No, a write-in vote for me, despite the fact that it's worth 1 vote, does not have as much of an influence on the results of the election as a vote for Romney or Obama.

No one claims this is as good as it gets. The economy has improved under President Obama, but we were in a pretty deep hole.

Hi.

Morals and ethics are still not going to change in definition just because you disagree with those definitions. Morals are personal, ethics involve a society. A company society is just one example of where ethics apply, but it's not the only example. Ethics apply to any form of community. The fact you don't know such basic definitions show that you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to morals or ethics. That is what they always mean, research into them further if you must. Most of the time, yes, they are very similar, but that's because people's morals just happen to match the society's ethics, but it's not necessarily always the case. That's pretty much summarising what I've been taught in college during my Law and Ethics module in college.

Besides, getting back to the main point on morals, let's take more examples. Loli manga as I mentioned earlier, is logically fine, but yet is deemed immoral, while other societies deem it as morally acceptable. Why do people logically care about others, when it's sometimes far more logically not to? If someone breaks your heart, why is it logical to feel heartbroken, when it's more logically to feel happier? Like I said earlier, if you're going to keep up that attitude, you're not going to get on well with people at all. Consider that as a warning from someone who made the same mistake. Nobody is arguing that some morals can't be derived logically, but not all of them can be.

Feel free to answer your own questions that prove that the federal government is allowed to have full control over the country. However, when answering that question, prove that the European Union should also not be allowed to take control over all of the countries in Europe, because you're implying that the situations are different. Though I still have no idea why you keep referencing to slavery, because it makes perfect sense for a state to re-introduce dark age concepts? Why would slavery be legal again if states were allowed to make their own decisions? You haven't answered that question at all, and you can use the slavery argument as a reason to not have a federal government. You say you're not arguing that the states are going to re-introduce slavery should they get their way, yet that's your argument for not allowing states to have control over their own land.

Besides, just because one state might do something that you deem wrong, why should all of the other states be guilty? America seems to like using the concept of "guilty before proven innocent". If one state does something stupid, every state should pay the price. If a few citizens of a random country decide to rebel against the invaders, then every citizen should pay the price. If a few citizens are pirating, then every citizen should pay the price and be spied on. It's a sickening concept, and in my views, very immoral.

You're being absolutely ignorant about Iran, and you're refusing to understand that if you leave them alone, they'll have no reason to use these imaginative nuclear weapons against you. None at all. Why would they bomb you for no reason whatsoever? Feel free to try answer that one. By claiming that they'll bomb you if you leave them alone, clearly shows that you have no clue why terrorism occurs, and shows that you refuse to try understand other people. The majority of other countries don't invade other countries, and don't get attacked. Besides, you're talking about war here, where innocent people are going to die on both sides. I don't think either side wants that, but if you continue to push, and claim that other countries are going to attack you for no reason, well that's exactly what's going to happen.

Time and time again, you always hear people how they want to vote for third-party candidates, yet won't because they don't think other people will. Yet, what happens if those people didn't think that, and voted for the third-party candidate anyways? People sometimes don't vote, because they're not happy with either the Republicans or Democrats, so what happens if they become aware that there's more than two choices, and use their vote on a third-party candidate? Did you know people are often completely unaware of the third choice? Your vote for you strongly influences the results of the election. A vote for you isn't a vote for Romney or Obama. They've both lost one vote. It annoys me when people say a vote for a third-party is a vote for Romney, when it's not, it's a vote that a third-party gains, and it's a vote that Romney and Obama both don't gain.

I'm just going to bring in some food for thought here. Fianna Fáil, for a long time, they've been the biggest party in Ireland, often winning the general election. People always thought that everyone else was going to vote Fianna Fáil. However, when Fianna Fáil betrayed the country and brought the country into debt, everyone felt the same way about them, and then started voting other parties. Fianna Fáil did absolutely terrible in the previous general election as a result, and Fine Gael won instead by a huge portion of the vote. Bare in mind, support for more left-wing parties like Sinn Féin has also been drastically increasing. Unfortunately, come budget in December last year, Fine Gael betrayed everyone, especially the students who they largely depended on to get them into office. What do you think is going to happen next general election?

Just because there isn't out spoken support of it now, doesn't mean that they wouldn't want it.
"Quite a lot"? Examples?

So, it possibly, give up you rights or move? I shouldn't have to give up my rights or move.
That no better then telling someone to leave the USA.

So, you can't accept that possibly, so let's just throw that out of the window?

Also, states do work together when things like SOPA, try to pass. So, isn't like the federal government
doesn't get check too.

I have been reading.
I rather vote for the best of what we got for the Country than waste my vote for
someone isn't going to decide the election. Thought Obama was mine #1 choice anyway,so...
yeah.

Drug legalisation is an example. Health care reforms are another example. As said earlier, you have "50 laboratories" who are experimenting, trying to come up with the best way of going about doing things. When people are left to their own devices, competition rises, which encourages innovation. Legalising drugs for example is highly innovative, because it'll save a hell of a lot of money, while also introducing a new source of income, via taxation and tourism. The federal government doesn't seem too keen on the idea, and are stifling innovation.

Moving a few hundred kilometres is far better and more realistic than moving a few thousand kilometres. You're not giving up any rights by allowing the states to do what they please, you're in fact enhancing your rights and options. By letting the federal government take control, you're limiting your options, thus limiting your rights. But like I said, if you're not happy with the decisions your state government makes, vote them out. That's what we've done with Fianna Fáil here. We weren't happy with them, so we voted for other parties instead. Pretty simple stuff.

So why do you think you have to give up your rights if a state gets control? Why do you think states will try to get rid of your rights? Do you not trust the people you've voted to be governor (is that the term?) of your state?

If Obama is your main choice that's fine. But if I was a citizen of the US, and voted for a third-party, that's not a vote for either Romney or Obama, so that reduces their chances of winning by 1 vote. Again, simple stuff.

This statement is inaccurate. Oftentimes social beliefs are factual claims, such as, "_______ is bad for society." That's a factual claim that can be tested and evaluated much like a scientific hypothesis can. There's a whole faculty dedicated to the study of such "social beliefs", and it's called "social science". If you disagree that social beliefs can be factual claims, provide an actual counter-argument, please.

Localise local issues as much as possible... I can definitely agree with that. In case you missed it, I was specifically referring to the Irish law re: abortion. In order to "localise" this issue, the issue should be dealt with at the individual level, for it's a private matter concerning only the individual person. It's absolutely not a national issue, and a pregnant Irish woman's pregnancy concerns a random Irish man just as much as it concerns a random German man. If you're for "localisation" then I presume you'd support shifting the responsibilities of making abortion laws and decisions from the national government to the municipalities, for instance?

I think you've mistaken what others have said about the relationship between federal and state governments on morality. The larger government is not inherently more moral, neither is the smaller government inherently more moral; and by "moral" I mean "right" in their decisions. Both levels of government have the capacity to make wrong decisions. But it appears to me, you've been arguing, that it's always better to leave the responsibilities of decision making to the smaller government, as a rule with no exceptions, even when those decisions are clearly wrong.

When a government made a clearly wrong decision, that decision should be overturned, regardless of the level of government it is. What if the federal government legalised slavery? Either the states and the people overturn it, or the international community would have an obligation to get involved to reverse that decision. What if the state government legalised slavery? Same thing. Either the people overturned it, or the federal government would be obliged to step in.

Should states (or the federal government, for that matter) always have unchallenged control over issues of human rights? Because 9 out of 10 times when I hear the "state rights Vs. federal rights" debate, it's over some issue concerning human rights, eg. same-sex marriage, abortion, health care, slavery, etc. How much "tailoring" can you really do to those human right issues, I wonder, without flat out breaking the human right? It seems to me you can either honour the human right, or...well, not honour it?

Beliefs and facts are never the same. A fact is a fact, a belief is something that hasn't been proven, yet you believe is true. Beliefs can turn into facts, but beliefs and facts are never the same. Believing there's a God is a belief, but the big bang is a fact. As much as I hate religion, it's the fault to your argument. You people really need to look up the dictionary and study the differences between morals, ethics, beliefs, and facts.

I know exactly what you were referring to. I personally believe that people should be given as much freedom as possible, but of course while it's unrealistic to make the situation perfect, we can at least get as close as we can to that ideal scenario. Should abortion laws be reduce to an even more local level? Quite possibly. Even though we're a small country, cultures do vary quite a bit between Connaught, Leinster, Munster and Ulster. A lot of western citizens despise the fact that political power is in the east, because the east hardly cares about the problems in the west. However, why does that mean we should let the EU decide on how to solve these issues? It doesn't, we may as well localise these issues as much as we can. The next level after federal is state. So why not start there? The EU is already one step ahead of the matter. Germany have proven itself to be quite knowledgable when it comes to creating a strong economy, but if they were restricted by the decisions of every other country, innovation would have been stifled.

You keep thinking states are going to make wrong decisions. They're not going to, you have no evidence that they're going to, and if anything, the fact that they want to do stuff like legalising drugs, or improve health care, shows that they want to be innovative, yet are being restricted by federal law. The federal government is lazy, and don't read what they're voting on. But of course, nobody is perfect, and the option to overturn decisions can still be there quite easily by pressure from the other states, but why should the other states give up their rights to the federal government, just because someone might make a mistake?

Nobody said anything about being unable to challenge. Federal government can advise, federal government can pressure, just as easily as any company can lobby the federal government to pass any stuff they want passed. Social pressure is more powerful than people think it is. But again, remember that the state governments represent what the citizens of that state want. If the majority of that state want a law passed, then they should get it. By suggesting that the federal government should have full control over states, you're suggesting that democracy should not be allowed.

The only way the state can remove human rights, is if the citizens of that state want their human rights removed.

--------------------------------

So to summarise (this goes to everyone):

- You think that states and citizens are guilty before proven innocent
- You think that the citizens of states want to remove their human rights
- You think that restricting your rights and options is far superior to having more options and more rights
- You think that people will bomb you for no good reason whatsoever
- You think that a vote for a third-party, regardless of their popularity, is a vote for Romney

Reactions: Sterling
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I'm going to melt
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Going to smoke a bowl, eat pizza, drink a beer, and watch I Saw the TV Glow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Why do people on YouTube keep making themselves glow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh joy, heat wave all week where i live
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    plus there's thunder and lightning outside, and it'll rain soon, there's somehow no tornado watch tho
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and to make it worse, the heat didn't sway my brother away from wanting to spend some time swimming on his birthday tomorrow
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    idr where in the US the heat wave is
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    idk if I'm in it or not
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    midwest, near me and bigonya
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    ah fuck NJ is in the heat wave
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    we're cooked, possibly literally
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    if you have a habitable basement, the heat shouldn't be down there and that's where you should hang out
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    No, but, the air conditioner in my living room gets fuckin icy
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    In a good way, not as in a "my coils are freezing" kind of way
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not everyone lives in theirs mom's basement gosh
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah, my mom's basement is just for the weekends to check in on the family
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i usually live in your mom's basement
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    saves a lot of time fr
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    It's 11:30 PM here, I just took the trash out and my god is it awful outside
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    This heatwave can eat my ass
    +1
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    omg same, it's VERY hot here, too
    MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight: omg same, it's VERY hot here, too