• Likes 35

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beta 9a is here. I fixed the graphical glitch on Tap Trial and every other tap dancing level. The in-game credits have also been changed, as has the menu text for Remix 2 and probably a few other minor things. I fixed a punctuation error in the tutorial for Bon*Odori.

If you have an old copy of script_fix.txt and want to fix this bug, comment out or remove #WRITE(RtPtr, $CEA094).

WQpYXLO.png

CvUWuLu.png

DCPH4p3.png

How do these colors look in the credits? The only one I'm not sure about is the color I used for the "See 1st email for full credits" line.

I have a small present for you. Our trailer is ready!

We also have fairly good news from our hacker!
Spikeman said:
I started working out the compression a few weeks back, but didn't fully figure it out. I'm planning to take a look at it again soon. I'm done with finals this week so I should have a lot more free time very soon.
smile.png

If you think you can help us with creating new graphics, please fill out this form.

Eagle-eyed trailer viewers may notice that I'm not playing perfectly. It's especially noticeable in "The Bon Odori". :P

edit:

A user has messaged me with some code to decompress the graphics! Judging by the message he sent me, it seems to work!

U3XRTfx.png

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know Japanese? What does the text above the logo ("Rhythm Tengoku") say?

a6SbiZt.png

And what about the text in the corner during tutorials and drum lessons?

ipQMDpq.png

The lower text is displayed during drum lessons, while listening / drumming in the studio, and while using a rhythm toy. The upper text is during a tutorial.

edit: Okay, graphics artists. Here's your first challenge.

The main menu should say this in English:

Rhythm Games
Rhythm Test
E-Mail (Alternate Option: Rhythm Reference Room) (Rhythm Reference/Data Room is too long to look good. Despite being what the original Japanese says, I think "E-Mail" conveys what happens in there much better.)
Studio
Options

Here is what it looks like in Japanese.

cN6SrDn.png

Notice how because of the smaller graphics on the left and right of the words, there is hardly any space to widen the text area. So don't make your text too big to fit into the boxes!

edit: Here is what the tiles look like when ripped from the game.

s6aleOS.png

Unless you ask mystery01 first, don't use any colors other than the ones used in that graphics rip! (I don't know why you would anyway.) You don't need to fit the tiles into the original graphics area. There should be enough empty space in our ROM to allow you to use as many tiles as you need. It looks like a shadow is automatically drawn around each letter, so match the style of the ripped graphics rather than including your own shadow.

mystery01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know, all graphics appear with the width 256. This just makes the former tile set incorrect with the latter tile set correct.

Reactions: W hat

mmiller

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know Japanese? What does the text above the logo ("Rhythm Tengoku") say?

a6SbiZt.png

And what about the text in the corner during tutorials and drum lessons?

ipQMDpq.png

The lower text is displayed during drum lessons, while listening / drumming in the studio, and while using a rhythm toy. The upper text is during a tutorial.

edit: Okay, graphics artists. Here's your first challenge.

The main menu should say this in English:

Rhythm Games
Rhythm Test
E-Mail (Alternate Option: Rhythm Reference Room) (Rhythm Reference/Data Room is too long to look good. Despite being what the original Japanese says, I think "E-Mail" conveys what happens in there much better.)
Studio
Options

Here is what it looks like in Japanese.

cN6SrDn.png

Notice how because of the smaller graphics on the left and right of the words, there is hardly any space to widen the text area. So don't make your text too big to fit into the boxes!

edit: Here is what the tiles look like when ripped from the game.

s6aleOS.png

Unless you ask mystery01 first, don't use any colors other than the ones used in that graphics rip! (I don't know why you would anyway.) You don't need to fit the tiles into the original graphics area. There should be enough empty space in our ROM to allow you to use as many tiles as you need. It looks like a shadow is automatically drawn around each letter, so match the style of the ripped graphics rather than including your own shadow.

REPLY:I only know the romaji for kana (meaning if you're asking for a actual traslation i can't help) and there are a few symbols that I don't know
but I will do what I can
the sentence above Rhythm tengoku is nori(symbol I don't know) ta....
the practice ones go like this
seshiretodesuki(last two symbols i can't make out)
seshiretode (symbol I don't know) and then a symbol that means stop (shi)

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just found this project, nice work! Excited to see this getting finished.

Question: why is The Bon-Odori translated like that instead of The Bon Dance or something?

REPLY:I only know the romaji for kana (meaning if you're asking for a actual traslation i can't help) and there are a few symbols that I don't know
but I will do what I can
the sentence above Rhythm tengoku is nori(symbol I don't know) ta....
the practice ones go like this
seshiretodesuki(last two symbols i can't make out)
seshiretode (symbol I don't know) and then a symbol that means stop (shi)
Boy, you need to work on your kana interpretation! You got a few wrong. Though these small pixel graphics probably aren't helping. But don't interpret レ as し when the entire text is obviously in katakana, not hiragana. And make sure you properly learn the distinction between similar characters like た and に! ;)

Anyway...

The sentence above Rhythm Tengoku says "norikan UP ni...". I think it means "Up (ie. improve) your rhythm sense with Rhythm Tengoku". But I'm not 100% sure about this. The 感 is kan, which means feeling, sense, sensation, stuff like that.

The text in the corner says:
serekuto de sukippu - skip with select
serekuto de chuushi - stop with select

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Question: why is The Bon-Odori translated like that instead of The Bon Dance or something like that?

Anyway...

The sentence above Rhythm Tengoku says "norikan UP ni...". I think it means "Up (ie. improve) your rhythm sense with Rhythm Tengoku". But I'm not 100% sure about this. The 感 is kan, which means feeling, sense, sensation, stuff like that.

The text in the corner says:
serekuto de sukippu - skip with select
serekuto de chuushi - stop with select
Thanks! Why Bon Odori?
//ボンダンス[;
// --- Literal
//Bon Dance (here they use the english word “dance” instead of “odori”)[;
// --- Edited
The☆Bon Dance[;
//ザ☆ぼんおどり[;
// --- Literal
//The☆Bon-Odori (odori = Japanese word for dance)[;
// --- Edited
The☆Bon-Odori[;
You can check the original Japanese ROM and let me know if you think that's mistaken. SirNiko and I don't actually know Japanese; we've been relying on translations from a few years ago.

I have a (work-in-progress) wiki page for translating graphics. We'll get a larger batch of graphics on there in the next week or two. That way, anyone who wants to transcribe or translate can.

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh, so the game actually makes the distinction itself between dance and odori. (Been a while since I played... Time to play!)
Edit: got up to the point where you're first introduced to that game (in the Japanese version). While it states The★Bon Odori, I think it could be a good idea to state that this odori is a dance in the little description window or something. Just my opinion. :)

I was mostly kind of wondering since this hack is a translation after all and odori wasn't translated. If you have good, valid reasons for keeping it like that, though, you won't be hearing any complaints here. :)

And though I'm not the best translator, I'll be keeping an eye out on that graphics chart!

Edit: after all that nonsense figuring out nori/norikan/のり/ノリ感 I find out that the proper translation was already mentioned on the first page. Use that. :P

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You know, I always suspected something about the marching games. A glitch wouldn't be too out there I suppose, but this is Nintendo we're talking about here...

Not a glitch. It's done on purpose to confuse you. Some of the games in the series just have a few mean "troll" bits like that. :)

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We've included editor's notes explaining things like the Bon Dance in the e-mail room if you earn those unlockables. Thankfully the e-mail format is super-pliable so we could easily add pages. That took a lot of stress off of me to make it sound good and fit within the limits of the page!

The Bon Odori Lyrics reward does explain that "Bon Odori" is a "Bon Dance" and gives a little background about the localization, since that song in particular has a lot of Japanese cultural references. I like to think it's fitting since Rhythm Heaven leans towards being educational instead of simply amusing.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These might end up in the game, might end up being changed slightly, or might get scrapped completely. Time will tell.

dXg5lbe.png

I2MM4Sy.png

Reactions: DaVince

mmiller

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Boy, you need to work on your kana interpretation! You got a few wrong. Though these small pixel graphics probably aren't helping. But don't interpret レ as し when the entire text is obviously in katakana, not hiragana. And make sure you properly learn the distinction between similar characters like た and に! ;)

Yeah....I know. It's both the pixely graphics and me just being finished with learning katakana. So I'm bound to get a few katakana wrong

mmiller

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah....I know. It's both the pixely graphics and me just being finished with learning katakana. So I'm bound to get a few katakana wrong

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm seeing some new pics in there. Here's the ones for the karate master:

Rhs-km.png

Leftmost, used during practice:
あと3ヒット
Three hits remaining

Top:
3つ!!
Three! (the つ just means it's a counter for three things, in this case indicating three are coming)

Bottom middle:
のり
"Nori" (rhythm sense)

Middle right:
ム!
Mu! (Something said when putting effort in eg. a punch (think "unf!"))

Bottom right:
来る!
くる!
It's coming! (Meaning the differently timed ones are coming)

mmiller

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question: will you ever add in something that will make it easier to differentiate the "look left" and "look right" commands in Marcher?

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question: will you ever add in something that will make it easier to differentiate the "look left" and "look right" commands in Marcher?
As mentioned, we'd love to make this more intelligible. It's not a priority at this point though.

fR51aHE.png

Two placeholder (?) English graphics for the game selection menu. We also have someone signed up to create English graphics for the main menu. Things are coming along nicely.

edit: Here's a real in-game screenshot showing off the "Welcome!" graphic.

Dlyspon.png

Can someone provide translations for the other stages? Here's what I have, from here and here:

Stage 1: Welcome!
Stage 2: Have fun!
Stage 3: Nottemasuka? (Google translate: "do you ride?")
Stage 4: Weird games
Stage 5: Ganbare-!! (Google translate: "Do your best", "hang in there", "come on" etc.)
Revival Revenge!!
Technician
Last Technician

What are the subtitles for the last three stages? Any advice for translating the other stages / subtitles? What's the stage / subtitle for the Cafe / rhythm toy column?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'm starting to sound like a Tck