Hacking ROM Hack GBA Translation Zero One SP English Patch Project (on indefinite hiatus)

Traceytrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Update!

I'm done with hacking for now. Everything works, no crashes, no weirdness whatsoever!
I've also translated lots of image files:
  • The sound test page
  • Media gallery pages (all 5 of them)
  • Endings list page
  • Minigames page (both of them)
  • Minigame thumbnails (all 16 of them)
  • Minigame tutorial popups (all 16 of them)
  • Settings screen
  • File select screen
  • Game over screen
  • 'Hint' screen
Now I'm finally, FINALLY back to translating text, and so far I've done:
  • All 175 endings in the endings list
  • E1S1 (Episode/Chapter 1, Scene/Part 1), for top dialogue choice path
  • E1S2 (top dialogue choice path)
  • E1S3 (top dialogue choice path)
  • E1S4 (top dialogue choice path)
  • E1S5 (top dialogue choice path)
  • E2S1 (ALL paths)
  • E2S2 (ALL paths)
  • E2S3 (incomplete)
  • E2S4 (incomplete)
  • E2S5 (incomplete)
The reason for the partial completion of episode 1 is that the scenes in episode 1 are massive due to the amount of branching paths that stem from the first few scenes. As such, subsequent episodes are much more manageable, so I will come back to episode 1 later.

There are 20 episodes in total, so this will take a while.

In total I have 72 translated files so far that are put into the rom when built with my custom tool. There will be hundreds more, I'm sure! I want to do another demo for Youtube now that my VWF hack is thriving, but not sure what to show... all of episode 1? Or continuing from where demo 1 left off? How much is too spoilery? :cry:

REMINDER: YOU CAN SEE AND CONTRIBUTE TO TRANSLATION IN REAL TIME HERE!

Traceytrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey guys, I'm suspending work on this translation to focus on work and all that good life stuff! I've had a lot of fun working on it and learnt a lot of great new skills. I've also learned that I enjoy romhacking and programming infinitely more than I do translating Japanese to English.

If any translators want to take up the mantle, you can suggest edits to the google sheet I've linked to. Simply keep the google sheet up on one screen and the game on the other. Use the "find" feature in google sheets to search for the text you are up to in-game (I can apply changes to lines in the google sheets to the ROM in seconds). Alternatively, use this excel spreadsheet in the .rar file that I've attached. It's got all the same stuff.

I may return to this project, but don't count on it! I may return to start another project instead, but again, don't count on it!

I've attached a delta patch you can use to patch the original rom and play what I have translated so far. If you stick to the top dialogue options, you should get to almost the end of chapter 2. From the car ride onwards, you can pick any dialogue option you want and it will all be in english (that is until you hit where I was up to!).

Sorry I couldn't deliver on such a behemoth of a solo project. Life gets in the way.

Peace,
Trace

Attachments

• Spreadsheet.rar
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
  • demo patch.rar
    270.4 KB · Views: 14

rookiesearcher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just randomly saw this thread and was intrigued. I have no idea what that game is, but what you are doing looks cool! That's sad that you had to give up, when I saw the gargantuan number of lines I had a feeling something would happen to your drive. It's amazing you got that far though

cirote3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hey guys, I'm suspending work on this translation to focus on work and all that good life stuff! I've had a lot of fun working on it and learnt a lot of great new skills. I've also learned that I enjoy romhacking and programming infinitely more than I do translating Japanese to English.

If any translators want to take up the mantle, you can suggest edits to the google sheet I've linked to. Simply keep the google sheet up on one screen and the game on the other. Use the "find" feature in google sheets to search for the text you are up to in-game (I can apply changes to lines in the google sheets to the ROM in seconds). Alternatively, use this excel spreadsheet in the .rar file that I've attached. It's got all the same stuff.

I may return to this project, but don't count on it! I may return to start another project instead, but again, don't count on it!

I've attached a delta patch you can use to patch the original rom and play what I have translated so far. If you stick to the top dialogue options, you should get to almost the end of chapter 2. From the car ride onwards, you can pick any dialogue option you want and it will all be in english (that is until you hit where I was up to!).

Sorry I couldn't deliver on such a behemoth of a solo project. Life gets in the way.

Peace,
Trace
Thanks for at least trying :)

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand

Peace,
Trace
Would you consider posting your assembly/src/tools to github or similar so someone else can carry on the project if you are no longer around by the time someone translates the scripts.

r3vert

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it was unfortunate this project was too big for one person, hopefully, one day somebody will take the lead and finish this project.

TwoSpikedHands

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is dope! Best of luck to you, seems like an awesome passion project
Edit: Oop my bad just saw you halted progress for now, This was seriously some good work! Best of luck with your life stuff :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up