Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still I prefer to use the Wii U console: It natively supports Wii and Gamecube games, plus the Wii U has some of the best games I've ever played (look no further, Zelda BOTW!).

So ideally for me I'd use it as an ultimate gaming machine.
Me too, it has everything I want on it! I can play every single Home console from Nintendo on it, plus some Handheld, that is the ultimate game machine.

Reactions: lordelan

devildothack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is anyone having issues loading ROMs from USB Hard Drive?
After loading Haxchi, I head over to load up a RetroArch core such as NES/SNES/GBA..select SD card and it reads up fine (it displays the contents of the drive). However when I select USB for the hard drive, it doesn't display anything. I have a 160 GB FAT32 with 32 KB cluster size. I have a bunch of GC ISOs for Nintendont, WBFS for Wiiflow under vWii and they all work perfectly fine from USB hard drive. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by devildothack,

vlad81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
just wanted to try some different emulators but after starting them i cant load a rom or go to settings or else. my d-pad is working so i can go up and down but i cant choose a menu point. using my game pad.

anyone can help me and tell me what i am doing wrong?

EDIT: found the answer. had to delet retroarch.cfg

thank you very much
greetings
vlad

Last edited by vlad81,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Me too, it has everything I want on it! I can play every single Home console from Nintendo on it, plus some Handheld, that is the ultimate game machine.

It's just a crying shame that nothing has been added since USB keyboard support a month ago, XMB will never be added.

SlimPortable

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So HIDtoVPAD currently doesn't work with any homebrew, but the creator said it's possible if you intergrtate it into the app you want to use it on. So theoretically it can work with RetroArch if there's a new build with it intergrtated. Is there any interest from the developers for this? A lot of the arcade games would be great with an Xbone controller!

Currently it's not possible, but in theory it would be possible to use directly the controller patcher engine in RetroArch. But I don't know if anyone of the RetroArch team is actually interested in doing it (instead of using their own hid system)
@aliaspider ;)?

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So HIDtoVPAD currently doesn't work with any homebrew, but the creator said it's possible if you intergrtate it into the app you want to use it on. So theoretically it can work with RetroArch if there's a new build with it intergrtated. Is there any interest from the developers for this? A lot of the arcade games would be great with an Xbone controller!
HID to VPAD might work with RetroArch (cores) installed as channels.

SlimPortable

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HID to VPAD might work with RetroArch (cores) installed as channels.
I thought that too but it just works like a short cut doesn't it? It still uses the same memory loading and stuff through the homebrew launcher? Otherwise, you're right it might. I don't have anything installed as a channel on my Wii U so can't test atm.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I thought that too but it just works like a short cut doesn't it? It still uses the same memory loading and stuff through the homebrew launcher? Otherwise, you're right it might. I don't have anything installed as a channel on my Wii U so can't test atm.
That depends on whether it's a forwarder channel or actually the app like it is the case with the HBL channel or the WUP Installer GX2 channel. They don't use Mii Maker's memory but run on their own.
There were some RetroArch channels around here somewhere but they were buggy and outdated as far as I remember and I don't know whether they were just forwarders or not.

SlimPortable

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That depends on whether it's a forwarder channel or actually the app like it is the case with the HBL channel or the WUP Installer GX2 channel. They don't use Mii Maker's memory but run on their own.
There were some RetroArch channels around here somewhere but they were buggy and outdated as far as I remember and I don't know whether they were just forwarders or not.
Well, currently HIDtoVPAD just gives me a "config not found" error when trying to hook up controllers to it that do have a config, but I just found the channels you're talking about so if I can get HIDtoVPAD to work for me I'll give it a try tonight.

EDIT: Got it to work with the gamecube controller. I'll give it a shot and report back.

Last edited by SlimPortable,

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The one I made is basically a forwarder, but the rpx isn't on the SD card, it's embedded in the installation. Any that aren't forwarders will ALL crash on exit. This is one aspect of Retroarch I've been trying to fix, as none of them support using the HOME button to exit to the System Menu. So yeah, you can't run any of them as a channel, unless you want your Wii U crashing.

Reactions: geheim

SlimPortable

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I couldn't get it to work for me anyways since I'm not good with this kind of stuff (never tried wupinstaller before tonight) so I guess we can take your post as enough of a confirmation that it wouldn't work with HIDtoVPAD currently. The Xbone/DS4 on Wii U RetroArch dream will have to wait for another day, lol.

Last edited by SlimPortable,

Aglaophotis

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1. How do I use shaders and filters? Or is this not possible at all with the Wii U version?
NES and SNES games look too blocky and unnatural without any filters, especially NES. I'm currently using the build-in bilinear filter that is selectable on the video menu. It makes things better.. but it's a bit too smeary and not exactly what it's supposed to be. There are some really good CRT shaders, but I couldn't figure out how to use them on the Wii U version.
And what about other filters? There is a "video filter" option in the video settings, which seems to be connected to the "filters" folder in the main retroarch folder, but I don't know what to put in there or where I can get compatible filter files.

2. Does anyone else have this issue that after closing Retroarch, it is not possible to launch any other app from the Homebrew Launcher? The screeen turns black as if it's starting but then simply returns back to the launcher. I need to either restart the console or go into the system settings and back to make other homebrew launchable again. Is this normal?
I'm using Haxchi and the installed channel version of Homebrew Launcher.

Last edited by Aglaophotis,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. How do I use shaders and filters? Or is this not possible at all with the Wii U version?
NES and SNES games look too blocky and unnatural without any filters, especially NES. I'm currently using the build-in bilinear filter that is selectable on the video menu. It makes things better.. but it's a bit too smeary and not exactly what it's supposed to be. There are some really good CRT shaders, but I couldn't figure out how to use them on the Wii U version.
And what about other filters? There is a "video filter" option in the video settings, which seems to be connected to the "filters" folder in the main retroarch folder, but I don't know what to put in there or where I can get compatible filter files.

2. Does anyone else have this issue that after closing Retroarch, it is not possible to launch any other app from the Homebrew Launcher? The screeen turns black as if it's starting but then simply returns back to the launcher. I need to either restart the console or go into the system settings and back to make other homebrew launchable again. Is this normal?
I'm using Haxchi and the installed channel version of Homebrew Launcher.

Shaders and filters aren't implemented in the Wii U port, I don't think there is much interest from developers, unless there is a bounty made for it.

greenchili

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys.. I just wanted to say thank you for making these builds available. I downloaded a bunch and it is really cool to be able to use the Wii-U gamepad for playing the games on. Just a couple questions regarding the mame and FBA cores..

1) Some games use sound samples.. where do I put them to get them to work?
2) Is it possible to have it list the actual game name instead of these confusing 8 character filenames?

Thanks

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys.. I just wanted to say thank you for making these builds available. I downloaded a bunch and it is really cool to be able to use the Wii-U gamepad for playing the games on. Just a couple questions regarding the mame and FBA cores..

1) Some games use sound samples.. where do I put them to get them to work?
2) Is it possible to have it list the actual game name instead of these confusing 8 character filenames?

Thanks
1. Love to be proven wrong, but I don't think samples can be used... have a look around your retroarch folder, but even if there's a specific folder I can't see them working.
2. Nice easy answer to this one though: No (unfortunately)

vanartic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Are you launching the rpx with the latest hbl?
i tried updating homebrew launcher to the latest version but now HBL wont start at all
the old one i had was homebrew_launcher.elf but this one's a .rpx file
my brain's kinda stuck

edit: i still use the browser self-hosting exploit to execute it

Last edited by vanartic,

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried updating homebrew launcher to the latest version but now HBL wont start at all
the old one i had was homebrew_launcher.elf but this one's a .rpx file
my brain's kinda stuck

edit: i still use the browser self-hosting exploit to execute it
the rpx (and 2.1) is the channel version. You need the 1.4 release. https://github.com/dimok789/homebrew_launcher/releases/download/1.4/homebrew_launcher.v1.4.zip
(You may also need to update payloads.)
As for the rpx part, I meant the rpx zip in the retroarch nightlies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Your dad still got laid +1