Homebrew RetroArch - A new multi-system emulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can confirm this issues as well but they're present in the latest official release of FBA so I doubt the RetroArch team can do something about it.
You can report this issue to the official FBA team or wait till RetroArch team port Mame 0.72 to RetroArch since it has no issues with both games.

It's MAME 0.78 - it has already been ported, but it will need heavy, heavy maintenance work to run acceptably on consoles.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm really loving this, but as this is the go to thread for a multi-platform, multi-emulatable-platform emulator, I figure I would ask here. I'm currently using the Windows version, and I figure the hiccups I'm having with game compatibility are due to cores (GBC support doesn't support Kirby's Tilt n Tumble) but a few things I've noticed is that the smartphone editions, and some unofficial console editions of the game have support for a few platforms that are not supported in the emulator on Windows, such as Neo Geo Pocket Color and Virtual Boy. Is there any particular reason for the lack of their support in RetroArch? I'm really loving the XBR filter, and Mednafen doesn't support it, but I know some versions of the emulator use its Virtual Boy core, and I assume that means the filter is supported with it as well. It's a shame that it seems to not be supported in the RetroArch build on Windows, at least as of this time. I figure I'd ask why it's MIA, as I assume it's more of porting settings?

All those cores you mention are available on PC as well - PC will always have all cores naturally as it's the development platform.

However, the Update Service might not be regularly updated all the time - hence the omission. I'm still trying to find a few guys dedicated enough to push new versions of all the cores to the Update server on a regular basis.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All those cores you mention are available on PC as well - PC will always have all cores naturally as it's the development platform.

However, the Update Service might not be regularly updated all the time - hence the omission. I'm still trying to find a few guys dedicated enough to push new versions of all the cores to the Update server on a regular basis.

Thanks for the answer. In the meantime, do you know where I can directly download the dll files for Virtual Boy and Neo Geo Pocket Color that are supported with RetroArch? It did update before, but the only cores that needed an update were for bSNES.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the answer. In the meantime, do you know where I can directly download the dll files for Virtual Boy and Neo Geo Pocket Color that are supported with RetroArch? It did update before, but the only cores that needed an update were for bSNES.

Compiling them yourself or waiting for somebody to compile and upload them to the service.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Compiling them yourself or waiting for somebody to compile and upload them to the service.

How easy would it be to compile it myself? I know nothing of this sort of thing, so I can only imagine it not being easy at all. :P

I figure maybe the second option will be more possible. Do you know when those cores will be uploaded to the service? I assume at the very least for the next build of the emulator.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thx LibretroRetroArc. I also noticed that action buttons on Progear are a mess too.

There's nothing that is a 'mess' about it - learn to live with the following control scheme for that game, because it isn't going to change -

P1 Coin - assigned to key: RetroPad Button Select, port: 0.
P1 Start - assigned to key: RetroPad Button Start, port: 0.
P1 Up - assigned to key: RetroPad D-Pad Up, port: 0.
P1 Down - assigned to key: RetroPad D-Pad Down, port: 0.
P1 Left - assigned to key: RetroPad D-Pad Left, port: 0.
P1 Right - assigned to key: RetroPad D-Pad Right, port: 0.
P1 Shot - assigned to key: RetroPad Button B, port: 0.
P1 Bomb - assigned to key: RetroPad Button A, port: 0.
P1 Auto - assigned to key: RetroPad Button A, port: 0.
P2 Coin - assigned to key: RetroPad Button Select, port: 1.
P2 Start - assigned to key: RetroPad Button Start, port: 1.
P2 Up - assigned to key: RetroPad D-Pad Up, port: 1.
P2 Down - assigned to key: RetroPad D-Pad Down, port: 1.
P2 Left - assigned to key: RetroPad D-Pad Left, port: 1.
P2 Right - assigned to key: RetroPad D-Pad Right, port: 1.
P2 Shot - assigned to key: RetroPad Button B, port: 1.
P2 Bomb - assigned to key: RetroPad Button A, port: 1.
P2 Auto - assigned to key: RetroPad Button A, port: 1.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Check the OP - version 0.9.8.4 released (for both Gamecube and Wii) -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
v0.9.8.4
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* [NEStopia] Famicom Disk System support. For Android users - put disksys.rom
into the same folder as the FDS ROM you're trying to load. For everyone else -
put disksys.rom into your system directory.
- Y Button will switch sides of a disk.
- If you get any problems of the sort DISK A / B ERR 07' - pressing Y button again or letting it run its course should do it.
- NOTE - Famicom Disk System loading is slow, so you might be tempted to fast forward through most of it. However, I'd advise caution when doing so and to savestate regularly in case 'fast forwarding' can negatively affect disk loading.
* [FBA core] Various changes/fixes
- Hook up Eco Fighters controls (Turn 1/Turn 2 bound to L and R buttons)
- Hook up Pnickie controls (Turn 1/Turn 2 bound to L and R buttons - press
one of the buttons to progress beyond start screen)
- Hook up Continental Circus controls - Brake 2/Brake 3 (L1/L2 buttons)
and Accelerate 2/Accelerate 3 (R1/R2 buttons)
- Hook up Gun Smoke controls - Start button (needed to progress beyond
title screen)
- Hook up Mighty Pang controls (P1 Shot1/P1 Shot2/P2 Shot1/P2 Shot2)
- Fixed Varia Metal palette
- Fixed Fairyland Story palette
- Fixed Return of the Invaders palette
- Fixed Act-Fancer palette issue
- Endian fixes in the following games (PS3/360/Wii/Gamecube) -
- Surprise Attack
- Rollergames
- Ultra Man
- Oh My Gods
- Moonwalker (Sega System 18 bootleg) [magicseb]
- Hyper Pac
- Snow Bros 1
- Honey Dolls
- Fixes pitch issue in Gals Hustle (will possibly fix more games as well)
* [FBA core] [For Wii/Gamecube/Xbox 1 only] The main FBA version now has CPS1/CPS2/
Neogeo and Mega Drive/PC Engine drivers removed. To play CPS1, use FBA Cores CPS1.
To play CPS2, use FBA Cores CPS2. To play NeoGeo, use FBA Cores Neo.
* [FBA core] Made FBA Cores CPS1 - use this to play CPS1 games (all CPS1 ROMs
fit into memory on Gamecube).
* [Android] Fixed regression where a button bound to AKEYCODE_BACK would 'exit out'
of RetroArch.
* [Android] Fixes Madcatz fighting stick being autodetected properly.
* [Android] Input autodetection expanded -
- iControlpad
* [Gamecube] Made RetroArch cores 'standalone' - ie. no core switching.
* [Xbox 1] Add Low RAM mode - this needs to be used to play games that won't otherwise fit into RAM,
such as Street Fighter Alpha 3/Vampire Savior and other big ROMs in FBA Cores CPS2/NeoGeo/FBA.
* [Unzipping [All consoles/Android]] Moved from rzlib to miniz/minizip -should increase compatibility
with ZIP archives

Ninn

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
i see you guys workin overtime, respect and admiration:bow:

i'll try this bad boy first thing in the morning(i need to go to bed)

Gamecuber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Check the OP - version 0.9.8.4 released (for both Gamecube and Wii) -

I tested it and CPS1 games ran all very well :)
Of course, it also has some bugs.
Switching games often crashes the emu; FBA main core does not work, I tried Contra and Super Contra and they all crashed the emu and reboot the Gamecube.
I have a small request: can you disable ROM CRC check in the next release? I want to play a CPS game(wofch3p, a hacked version of wofch, mainly enable hidden mode
in wofch) which is only supported in FBA shuffle. With ROM CRC check I can not run a hacked ROM if I want to play it before it is supported by RetroArch.
Here's the resource code for wofch3p in FBAS.
static void wofch3p_decode()
{
// Fix blood color
CpsRom[0x7715] = 0x60;
// Enable 3 Players
CpsRom[0xED928] = 0x1;
// Enable hidden mode
CpsRom[0xED946] = 0x1;
wof_decode();
}

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I tested it and CPS1 games ran all very well :)
Of course, it also has some bugs.
Switching games often crashes the emu; FBA main core does not work, I tried Contra and Super Contra and they all crashed the emu and reboot the Gamecube.
I have a small request: can you disable ROM CRC check in the next release? I want to play a CPS game(wofch3p, a hacked version of wofch, mainly enable hidden mode
in wofch) which is only supported in FBA shuffle. With ROM CRC check I can not run a hacked ROM if I want to play it before it is supported by RetroArch.
Here's the resource code for wofch3p in FBAS.

These games you mentioned work fine in retroarch wii for what it's worth, aside from the "CRC check games" I imagine.
AWESOME RELEASE!
Still it seems to be a problem loading neogeo games one after the other ( blackscreen etc ), workaround for me is to restart retroarch wii from the gui options , before loading a different game. Would it be a strange thought if this process could be managed by retroarch wii, in future releases?

Every rom I threw at it ( < 23 Mb ) seems to work!
Still I have a question about the dip/maint. settings. For example getting to this settings in battle garegga results in an coin error.
Does Makaimura have such a screen? (cps1)
To be clear, I can only manage to get into the testing screen on cps1 games...but I have a feeling this is game specific and is not a bug?

Carrier Airwing has some sprite scrambling, and hangs halfway the first level. (cps1)
The irritating maze (Neo-Geo) black screen loading.

gameBro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
- Moonwalker (Sega System 18 bootleg) [magicseb]

is MJ Moonwalker now working? I tried both versions from gametronik and they do not work.

BTW Big THX for the regular updates!

papermanzero

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I hope that the next release contains the "Folder path" feature for each core.
Means in which folder are which roms, in which folder are the corresponding savestates and in which folder are the system files (firmware etc.)

I sorted my game collection via different folders and it would be great to keep this kind of structure (game folder, save folder, system folder).

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
Only found about this emulator on my Nexus 4 the other day and it works great. Dare I ask Street Fighter 3 works on wii?

@Libreto, can you port a N64 emu for PS3 please?

Tetsuo Shima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't understand this:
[FBA core] [For Wii/Gamecube/Xbox 1 only] The main FBA version now has CPS1/CPS2/
Neogeo and Mega Drive/PC Engine drivers removed. To play CPS1, use FBA Cores CPS1.
To play CPS2, use FBA Cores CPS2. To play NeoGeo, use FBA Cores Neo.
Why did you remove all those drivers on FBA?
On the wii it was very handy to use the same core for CPS1/CPS2/Neo Geo and every game I tried worked perfectly.
Maybe the reason is to increase compatibilty with other games?

Also, I read somewhere that you have plans to cooperate with wiiflow developers. What's on your mind? Just curious.

Charco

Trophies
XP
Country
I would prefer them separated as I can have different control setups for different arcade boards.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
A very strange and disconcerting error occured - I was using the Neo-Geo core, and upon loading bangbead.zip it had loaded an incorrect palette (sort of brownish-purplish) and ran at half speed, the weird thing is this carried over even after I left retroarch, the homebrew channel ran with incorrect colors and at half speed! there is no problem with the game itself as I had loaded it fine afterwards, but just something really weird and similar to what happened to another user before (although I had not left the console running for several hours beforehand and didn't have to do with resolution settings). Unfortunately I don't know how to reproduce it, sorry...

On another note, I am completely blown away by the fact that space bomber and gunbarich run fullspeed!

Reactions: Hielkenator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...