Hardware Reselling the Wii U at launch date

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
wii u doesnt have games? ,for hardcore gamers , only zombiU , dont get your hopes up for more new FPS for wii U , not NEW but the oldie COD and others , also , the core and the amaziness of nintendo comes from zelda/mario/pokemon games , which is better than any 3rd party shit games
Nintendo-only gamers sadden me. While Nintendo games are typically fucking stellar, missing out on third-party games this generation is a foolish decision.

Sticking with Zelda/Mario/Pokemon this entire gen would leave you missing Deus Ex: HR, Portal 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum/City, Just Cause 2, Sonic Generations, Mass Effect 1/2/3, Borderlands, Skyrim and more. All great games that someone actually interested in videogames wouldn't want to miss.
While up to about now I've been more than fine with just Nintendo titles, they really have a lack of games.
A lot of the games they have are unbeatable IMO but there are only about 1 of those games per year.
They need 3rd parties to have good games and with the obvious power difference the Wii U and PS4/XBOX720 will have, the Wii U will either get crappy ports or no ports.
One of the important reasons on why the Wii U may not do well is because it doesn't have much to offer the Casual and Hardcore market.
Their problem with the Hardcore market has already been outlined but with the casual, the problem is that they don't really have much to offer the casual market other than games.
Even the shovel-ware which rakes casuals in will be ineffective because of the mobile platforms.
I think that beyond the 3DS, I'm done with Nintendo.

D

Deleted_171835

They need 3rd parties to have good games and with the obvious power difference the Wii U and PS4/XBOX720 will have, the Wii U will either get crappy ports or no ports.
Except you know, we don't know the fucking specs yet.

Reactions: 1 person

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Based on what Nintendo have said and what we have seen it's safe to assume what the specs will be like.
It's a bit better than the current gen HD consoles
The PS4 and XBOX720 will be more than just a little more powerful, even if it isn't a big jump like PS2 --> PS3

D

Dork

Based on what Nintendo have said and what we have seen it's safe to assume what the specs will be like.
The PS4 and XBOX720 will be more than just a little more powerful, even if it isn't a big jump like PS2 --> PS3

Nintendo has stated they made the Wii U to be on par with the next generation consoles, there won't be a huge power difference.

D

Deleted_171835

No, it isn't safe to assume anything. We don't know the damn specs yet.

Reactions: 1 person

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like a bad idea. You don't know how much they will sell for or how much people will want them. That is a lot of risk for a few potential dollars

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nintendo has stated they made the Wii U to be on par with the next generation consoles, there won't be a huge power difference.

nintendo is just saying that to shut people up about it being unpowered again, they also said there was no new 3ds version in the works then not a week later announce the 3dsxl so dont always believe what they say

from what we have seen so far all its doing is keeping up with systems released 6 years ago, Ive seen nothing that makes it looks like a true next gen system
the other two systems havnt even been announced yet much less know any the of the power capabilities of the systems

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except they never said anything even close to concrete and the others consoles basically aren't speak about at all.

Base on what we seen? Yeah, because games after some years look exactly like their launch games. All we have to do is look at
launch games and we know exactly how the future games will look.

You guys must be blind from any good news about the wii u or just blind in general to say "well ,derp, it safe to assume it will be a bit more powerful and will be totally blown away despite that we pretty much no nothing of the of the console powers and what people say can go either way".
Link

If I had the money to buy so many, I would just get games whether than gamble with consoles.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
they also said there was no new 3ds version in the works then not a week later announce the 3dsxl so dont always believe what they say
Actually Nintendo never said that. Other sites took some of Nintendo's words and made guesses on what they meant, and then other sites took those words as the words of Nintendo, etc.

"Yes they did" - Find me a quote, a Nintendo representative actually saying that. It's all these news sites commenting on rumors that said it, not Nintendo.

Reactions: 2 people

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2012/120605.html

they denied reports of a larger 3DS system coming, a document that was released by Nikkei a few days before e3
basically it claimed it was conjuncture, and full of mistakes (well some of it was anyway) and denied the article saying the author to check his facts

but why would nintendo to bother to comment speculation?
they usually just give the press the cold shoulder and say we dont not comment on rumors like every other company

shadow theory

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Coming out first always makes it difficult to be the most powerful system. The Dreamcast was similarly designed to be in competition with the generation it released ahead of. (While I personally loved my Dreamcast, I wouldn't argue it was more powerful than the systems that surrounded it.) Technology can get old quick and once you play your hand other companies can react accordingly. This doesn't assure anything, but I think it's safe to be wary of how strong it will be.

Also buying a bunch of them is a risky proposition. I've often thought it would be a great idea to buy consoles and launch and resell them (they had N64's going for thousands the year it launched) but the current generation thoroughly scared me off that trend. The PS3 and the 360 had awful launches. PS3's didn't sell out, so buying a bunch wouldn't have helped you. 360's launch was hobbled by how often initially their units broke down sparking many people to wait on buying one. The Wii did end up being a console that resold for higher than retail, but with all that can befall even a well thought out launch it's still too risky in my books.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2012/120605.html

they denied reports of a larger 3DS system coming, a document that was released by Nikkei a few days before e3
basically it claimed it was conjuncture, and full of mistakes (well some of it was anyway) and denied the article saying the author to check his facts

but why would nintendo to bother to comment speculation?
they usually just give the press the cold shoulder and say we dont not comment on rumors like every other company
From what I gather from google translate, that statement says "We have not made any official announcement on it, you will see more at E3".

It seems to reference articles that said Nintendo said there would not be a 3DS XL, and this is Nintendo saying it's not true, they did not announce that.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they also said there was no new 3ds version in the works then not a week later announce the 3dsxl so dont always believe what they say
Actually Nintendo never said that. Other sites took some of Nintendo's words and made guesses on what they meant, and then other sites took those words as the words of Nintendo, etc.

"Yes they did" - Find me a quote, a Nintendo representative actually saying that. It's all these news sites commenting on rumors that said it, not Nintendo.

"I really feel like I'm satisfied with the 3DS hardware as it is. I feel like it's the best for this generation," Miyamoto told me, when I asked about the Nikkei's recent report about a 3DS XL, and whether his company did have plans for something similar. The Nintendo executive noted that his company is always thinking about what's next. "What we're thinking about right now is probably going to be for a future generation of handheld."

http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/06/12/nintendo-working-on-future-handheld-generation on 6/12/12;XL announced on 6/21/12

While one could argue that Miyamoto meant the internals of the 3DS, it certainly does sound like he's saying no 3DS XL here. But he does say "probably" and doesn't outright say no XL.

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
*not sure how things are regulated in other countries, but over here you can't just demand a full refund. If it's within a couple of days, you have the receipt and it's unopened, then you're entitled to coupons to be used in the store. But real money on multiple consoles? I seriously doubt it.
Really? Is that common in the EU?

Major chains in North America such as Best Buy, Walmart, Costco, Sears, Amazon, Dell, etc. all have return policies with 100% refund. That's pretty standard practice around here. I am *very* surprised to hear that European stores don't have this.

And to those who live in the US and call the OP's investment "risky": what kind of risk is there? Have you really never bought and returned anything from a store?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
*not sure how things are regulated in other countries, but over here you can't just demand a full refund. If it's within a couple of days, you have the receipt and it's unopened, then you're entitled to coupons to be used in the store. But real money on multiple consoles? I seriously doubt it.
Really? Is that common in the EU?
With "here", I actually meant Belgium. I have no idea how other European countries do it, let alone the store policy. But if the product isn't faulty, then they're certainly not obligated to refund real money.

I'm actually equally surprised it's different on your end. Can you really just buy something and return it to get all your money back for no apparent reason? It's like you have a whole shopping mall full of libraries, by the sounds of it.
It would indeed, as you say, reduce any risk to a zero. Strange...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu