Reselling the Wii U at launch date

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by lovewiibrew, Jul 18, 2012.

Jul 18, 2012
  1. lovewiibrew
    OP

Member lovewiibrew Sifjar is a pirate

United States
    So I am considering buying a few Wii-U's at launch and reselling them in the hopes of making a profit when the rush buying begins for it. I remember when the wii/360 were released they were hard to find and thus people were selling them for $100-$200 more than they paid for them on ebay. What are your all's thoughts on this? Will the Wii U be short in stock at launch like the Wii was, thus creating a high demand? Will the hype for it be very high at release, causing a shortage of them? Thanks for your input in advance.

2. weavile001

Member weavile001 Spiritmaster

Brazil
    [​IMG]
    but ,yeah, that would make a good profit

3. dgwillia

Member dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    That or you could just get stuck with multiple consoles you could barely sell for retail :)

Personally i hope for that

3 people like this.
  4. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    What a brilliant investment stragegy, and here I thought I should sink my money into beanie babies and enron stock

1 person likes this.
  5. Terenigma

Member Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

United Kingdom
    Ok lets say you were going to buy 5 and sell them for $100 more.

Pros:
    IF the demand was high and you managed to flog them for $100 more, you would make $500

Cons:
    IF the demand isnt high, you would of spent (i dunno the price of the wii-u) lets say $300 on 5 consoles.
    IF the demand isnt high, you would most likely not be able to sell them at the price you paid for them.
    IF the demand isnt high, you would have to waste time trying to sell them and in the best case scenario, you would make the money you paid back but wasted hours of your life.
    IF everything goes right and you manage to sell them, you are still only making $500 (which if you can afford to buy 5 to start with, seems a bit pointless)
    IF you are reading my post and focusing on the pro then you are a moron.

10 people like this.
  6. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    The reason demand gets too great and overpriced is partly caused by people who do exactly that, buying ten systems at once to make a profit later.

5 people like this.
  7. Hatchetball

Member Hatchetball GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If there was a high demand wanted, and you wanted to gouge people of their hard earned money for a crappy product... Yeah you could try that. Or you could think first. Wii's are the most unwanted game system out. You can hack them, yes, but that doesn't make it worth owning. There are no good games for it. Wii U's aren't going to make that any better either. They'll sell out the first round, that is going to happen, all the "richies" will want one for their retarded offspring. During that dull but mildly profitable moment for Nintendo, they will all be sold out. Will you have a chance to make some money? Maybe, but is it worth attempting? It's a Wii product, not a new iPhone or anything relevant to society.

Not a good idea relying on a Nintendo Wii product, that is about to do terrible sales, to score a few extra bucks on. The thought is decent, money seems nice, but it's a Wii product...

If you do it and it works, more power to you man, you made money, but it doesn't seem like the right investment in the gaming industry.

2 people like this.
  8. Terenigma

Member Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

United Kingdom
    Then his plan might work, y'know if the wii-u looked like a console that is worth buying... which it doesnt. Hell y'know what, forget my previous post. Do it. If you make money from it then give me a pm on here and rub my face in the fact you made $500 for a couple of hours amazon/ebay work.

Its not me that has $1500 to burn on a hunch.

9. dgwillia

Member dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    Let him buy his numerous Wii U's, it'll be a lesson to him. I bet he also collected mint condition Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh cards and Beanie Babies.

Reminds me of my idiot friend who brought like 3 3DS's in the hopes of selling them, idiot didnt realize they were still on store shelves the next day.

10. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    I remember trying to hunt down a GameCube days before Christmas the year they came out and they were ALL GONE (of course).
    I finally ended casually up finding one, I think, the day after I had given up only marked up $10 over the suggested retail price. The only reason they weren't gone was because no one knew they were there.

I think the reason I mention this is I thought they very well could have sold them for double the suggested retail price had they just put a sign up in the front window. In fact, I think I've seen consoles with excessive markups actually sell on eBay that time of year. Just do a little market research before hand (coming from a guy that works for a market research company). Find some statistics on Google to see how much more demand there is for the Wii U than other consoles when it comes time to pre-order and see if you think it's worth it at that point but if there's enough demand and you have the cash to invest, I'd you can make some serious bank off of this as long as you get the word out.

EDIT : despite what [member='hatchetball'] says the ORIGINAL Wii has by far outsold the PS3 and 360 during it's lifetime. It's not as powerful but it was marketed to a wider audience. I'm not as sure how the sales were AT LAUNCH, though, so just play your cards right and decide ahead of time if it's gonna work based on a little, quick google research.

1 person likes this.
  11. weavile001

Brazil
    i bought a 3ds ,i dont remember which , that wasnt was going to be sold here , i selled it for the triple of the price of a 3ds game :D

12. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Not that I condone this, but it IS something people do all the time and they DO make money off of it, which is why people consider it each time.

Hell, even with games people will do it.

6 people like this.
  13. weavile001

Brazil
    thats why i buy my games/consoles 5-6 months after release :)

14. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    The retardedness in this post hurts my brain. Your stupidity causes brain tumors.

19 people like this.
  15. mrgone

Member mrgone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    everyone who knows how the wii sales went, hopes it will happen again.
    the retailer will overstock, nintendo will over produce,....
    and you will have 5 wii u's

1 person likes this.
  16. emmanu888

Member emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Canada
    stupidest idea i have ever seen let's theirs 5 person behind you one of these will not be able to get his hand on a wii u at launch

17. AngryGreek766

Member AngryGreek766 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    4 real man i swear todays FPS games really lower people's IQ's. I mention FPS's because thats probably all he plays, if you dont like nintendo's games at least their first party games ur not a gamer in my book. Honestly

18. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    They don't like what YOU like, so they're not REAL gamers?

Elitist.

4 people like this.
  19. Izen

Member Izen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If I recall correctly, the Wii had insane amounts of hype before launch (and a decent amount of time afterward). The Wii U doesn't. The way I see it, that means this strategy isn't likely to work.

But hey, when the lines start forming on launch night, you can gauge how well things will go for yourself. If there's only a dozen people sitting outside Best Buy, you know this isn't a sound investment. If, however, the line already stretches half a mile down the sidewalk, well, it's probably far too late to line up, anyways.

2 people like this.
  20. DonnyKD

Member DonnyKD GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Problem 1:

>says the Wii is the most unwanted console.

>it sold more than any other console this generation.

Problem 2:

>says the Wii U is a "Wii" product.

>ignores the fact that it barely has anything to do with the Wii.

Problem 3:

Everything else.

7 people like this.