ROM Hack [REQUEST] Someone interested in making a Translation of "Daigyakuten Saiban"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazelle_Bro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't the Great Ace Attorney released just recently in Japan? I assume they wanted to wait how well it will be received domestically.
DGS came out a month ago. It was announced last year. AA6 has almost zero information out. And yet they already announced it's western localization. So the chances of DGS being localized are probably hovering around 0%.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a major Ace Attorney title, not a spin-off. It's a given that it will be released in the west.

Hate quoting you, but seeing as Capcom has literally said there are no plans for it to be localized, it's not coming.

For proof, they announced localizations of Ace Attorney 5 and 6 the same days they were announced for Japan. This came and went, and it shows; this is being skipped, for sure.

SolidSonicTH

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really, you should definitely press on. I've come to terms that a Dai Gyakuten Saiban translation is not happening in any official capacity but on the off-chance it does, you can just do what this guy did:

http://comebackcourt.sourceforge.net/

He started translating Gyakuten Saiban 3 and then when Trials & Tribulations was announced, he just stopped. If you've got the means to translate Dai Gyakuten Saiban, I say do it and if it comes to it, pull the plug. Unlike back then (when the possibility that English speakers would get the complete Ace Attorney experience), these days it's much less certain what Ace Attorney titles we're going to get.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
, pull the plug.
noooo D:
I mean, people stop the fanwork brcause it get actually illegal and stuff? I know some stop anime/maga fan translation for this when they get the rights to publish something around, so I don't see why not do both, or make it like an localization (like the FE if guys are doing õ3o), both final results in the last would be different way to enjoy it... unless you want to do like the localization is doing so it's nopoint to keep actually.... is like watching subbed anime and its 4Kids version dub (ok, an extreme example?maybe no since hiding Japan looks so important lolol)

SolidSonicTH

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
noooo D:
I mean, people stop the fanwork brcause it get actually illegal and stuff? I know some stop anime/maga fan translation for this when they get the rights to publish something around, so I don't see why not do both, or make it like an localization (like the FE if guys are doing õ3o), both final results in the last would be different way to enjoy it... unless you want to do like the localization is doing so it's nopoint to keep actually.... is like watching subbed anime and its 4Kids version dub (ok, an extreme example?maybe no since hiding Japan looks so important lolol)
No, all I meant was save yourself the work if it's going to be professionally translated. Doing an extensive translation job for no money is harsh but if you want to share the game with the English world then it's a good motivator. But if Capcom comes around then there's no need to break your back over it.

Gyakuten Kenji 2's fan translation was borne of necessity and I would say we're staring down another such situation.

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
This game isn't something easy to translate.
The main character's name alone is already a headache. If you keep it original, nobody get the connection with the main game (and most people doesn't even know how to spell Ryuu). If you translate it, it doesn't go well with the scene.

Gazelle_Bro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game isn't something easy to translate.
The main character's name alone is already a headache. If you keep it original, nobody get the connection with the main game (and most people doesn't even know how to spell Ryuu). If you translate it, it doesn't go well with the scene.
They already said they're only translating the game as it is. The names remain the same as they are in the Japanese version. This isn't a localization project like GK2.

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
They already said they're only translating the game as it is. The names remain the same as they are in the Japanese version. This isn't a localization project like GK2.
Yeah, GK2 project was pretty awesome. Best fan translation ever, it like playing the real localization from Capcom.

ichigosharingan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys! Ichigo from Neogaf here. Am I reading this thread and the news right? Someone is working on Great Ace Attorney translation? How can I help to get the ball rolling?

johnny-sasaki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
after the recent announcements from Capcom,I don't think this is going to get localized at all.So,I hope somebody works on this eventually.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
It would be horrible if this game's translation, either official or fan-translated, would be marred by people altering all kinds of stuff they perceive to be misogynist or racist (towards Ryunosuke, his friend and his girl assistant, and Natsume Souseki), which considering the historical era the plot is taking place in, happens aplenty. I see people are already advocating somewhere for all of that to be censored in any hypothetical translation before anything is started!
This is a plot point often brought to emphasise how Ryonusuke is a helpless newbie in a court (exactly like Phoenix and Apollo in their debuts) - and erasing it to be more politically correct can easily damage the entire caracterization (not that some people care...)

From those circles infamous for advocating for stuff being cut from games they don't like anyways (or aren't even exported. more recently it was Fire Emblem Fates), this inoffensive AA game of all things has been receiving tons of hate and labeled as "pandering to lolicons with a loli Maya (sic)" (I assume this refers to Watson's daughter).
Anyone actively hating on foreign devs / writers for not pandering to their own culture, and not abiding by translation integrity that well doesn't get anymore to play the "it's localization, not that stilted weaboo literal translation" card to justify this attitude, past a certain point.

This goes for professional translators as well when they get too carried away with their despising what they work on - 8-4's handling of Gunvolt is nothing short of shameful, cutting audio and mid-stage chatter because the audio would create "cultural differences" with their altered to hell translation. You can easily tell Working Designs staff and earlier Ace Attorney localization staff loved and respected their work, with all changes being to transcribe cultural references using local cultural references for the sake of making it more understandable, not to "improve" it.

I really hope if a translation project of this game happens, this horrible mindset stays in the negativity nests where it belongs, and doesn't creep in the creative translation process. This game deserves better than that.

c80n

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I doubt social justice warriors would bother translating this game, let alone have the prowess to do so, so I wouldn't worry about it myself.
Yes, Gunvolt situation was deplorable, but that's not 8-4's first case of butchering a localization effort, either.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry, I didn't understand quite well.
Perhaps I am very tired and almost asleep, but I don't follow very well what your speech builds towards?
Erm... Sorry, I am sure you are trying to convey something important... regarding censorship? or bad translations? or localizations?
Wow... really, I got lost in there. Perhaps it is because I have no idea what is this Gunvolt situation.

Anyway, I got curious, what plot device does this refer to?
This is a plot point often brought to emphasise how Ryonusuke is a helpless newbie in a court (exactly like Phoenix and Apollo in their debuts) - and erasing it to be more politically correct can easily damage the entire caracterization (not that some people care...)

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry, I didn't understand quite well.
Perhaps I am very tired and almost asleep, but I don't follow very well what your speech builds towards?
Erm... Sorry, I am sure you are trying to convey something important... regarding censorship? or bad translations? or localizations?
Wow... really, I got lost in there. Perhaps it is because I have no idea what is this Gunvolt situation.

Anyway, I got curious, what plot device does this refer to?

Ryunosuke's situation as a foreign newbie from another culture subjected to racism, despise and ridicule from late 19th century British nobility mirrors his grandchild's situation as a newbie attorney in a court with absurdly overpowered prosecutors working against all odds. Only the stakes and the scope are much more grand and powerful.
Now, if this aspect gets scrubbed because racism in fiction triggers some people to organise shaming campaigns online demanding the translation to be changed by the company, it all falls flat, and lots of stuff in the story would be destructively changed, for no real reason other than to appease people who despise the story, sometimes with a voiced cultural imperialism tone, and can't appreciate or respect it for what it is.

Other aspects can be similarly changed destructively to prevent "offense". Where you see typical quirky AA characters, some see racist stereotypes. And so on... Only this game in specific wouldn't take it kindly to these changes. Many people though (sadly enough I'm not jinxing it for it's happening now already now that this is getting attention now since Sunday now that Capcom confirmed "no localization") are a lot more preoccupied with molding it than with the translation process itself, with not much interest or outright dismissive tone to fan-translation stuff beyond that.

As much as it's obvious really translations should be ideally faithful and the translator as erased as possible besides what's necessary to adapt the cultural nuances, nowadays some places want it to be expected that censoring translations for all kinds of things is the norm (even removing inoffensive lines like "I had a tan last summer, so cool!"). Dai Gyakuten Saiban being subjected to the treatment Tumblr inflicts to manga scans is just the stuff of nightmares.

jojosobjection

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd be happy to help as an editor for the English text. Not much else I can do but seeing as the game isn't getting localized all I can hope for is a fan translation.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Should we organize this?
I guess it's only proof of concept and figuring out the formats for now. But translators have yet to show up for this. It's a formidable task only people of the caliber of the GK2 team can do justice to.

Gazelle_Bro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess it's only proof of concept and figuring out the formats for now. But translators have yet to show up for this. It's a formidable task only people of the caliber of the GK2 team can do justice to.
The text is being translated. It doesn't hurt to look at previous pages of the fucking thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvojgRvNriw