ROM Hack [RELEASED] Blood of Bahamut English Patch

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Creqaw said:
Wait wouldn't it be possible to release 2 versions? 1 with Behemoth and 1 with Colossus.

Blood of Bahamut: Behemoth Purple
Blood of Bahamut: Colossus Brown
rofl.gif

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Creqaw said:
Wait wouldn't it be possible to release 2 versions? 1 with Behemoth and 1 with Colossus.Nope, it's way too much work.

The in-game text doesn't know how to word-wrap on its own when it becomes too long for the text window. When that happens, the text runs out of the window and off the screen. In order to prevent this, we have to insert a command to tell the text where to word-wrap.

Since "Behemoths" is a longer word than "Colossi," it takes up more space in the text window and in many cases it makes a difference where we have to place the line breaks for the text. If we were to release two versions, we would have to check how the change affects every text window in which "Behemoths" and "Colossi" appear, and we'd have to manually remove and reinsert line breaks into thousands of lines.

QUOTE(phoenixgoddess27 @ Sep 6 2011, 02:52 AM) I didn't intend to post, but please keep in mind that each person has their own opinion. What you think may sound ridiculous, out of the ordinary, strange, or even wrong, may sound fitting to another person. So please don't make posts like that and keep in mind, "to each their own".

Please respect the opinion of others. We're choosing whichever one the majority chooses.

That's all.
Just to clarify phoenixgoddess' post, she was just saying not to criticize, berate or flame anyone's choice of words. She didn't direct it at anyone in particular, she was just saying it to stop any potential arguments before they even start. She's speaking from experience, since she's translated ROMs before and has had some bad experiences in the past with people flaming each other, and even her and Inori, over how things were translated on their own forum.

So please do not attack her for wanting to avoid a similar situation from breaking out. I'm 100% behind her on this. I don't mean to pull rank, but I will suspend anyone who starts arguments on this topic. Consider this my only warning.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
voted for Colossus. I'll be purchasing a DS just to play this game when the patch is released
wink.gif

Keep up the good work!

Arkiefaust

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
i think go for behemoth... there are other game that use colossus

by the way can this patch work on clean rom or maybe other patched rom?

Sairensu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Since it's lit. translated to "giant/large animal/beast" I think Behemoth is better sounding than Collossus! idk I just think Collossus sounds more like a golem

ANYWAY, keep up the awesome work you guys! Love to read all those translation project threads and lurk some more - maybe I can help some day!

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arkiefaust said:

I'm not 100% sure, but the general rule is that you want to patch a clean file.

I mean, ideally everyone would go out and buy the game, create the .nds file themselves, and then patch that. And then SquareEnix will wonder why their game had a sudden resurgence in sales, find the patch, and then give us all cushy translator jobs. And then they'll write a seinen comic book about me called, "Genius Translator Shintarou" (?????????), where I get into several life-and-death translation situations. /delusions

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
DS1 said:
Arkiefaust said:

I mean, ideally everyone would go out and buy the game, create the .nds file themselves, and then patch that. And then SquareEnix will wonder why their game had a sudden resurgence in sales, find the patch, and then give us all cushy translator jobs. And then they'll write a seinen comic book about me called, "Genius Translator Shintarou" (?????????), where I get into several life-and-death translation situations. /delusions
True story.

DS1 and I were on the translation spreadsheet, standing back to back with our swords drawn when those kanjis attacked us. It was like Kanji no Wataridori on steroids.

Damn you,
19I0e.png
and
waj9Z.png
!

Creqaw

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Densetsu9000 said:
Creqaw said:
Wait wouldn't it be possible to release 2 versions? 1 with Behemoth and 1 with Colossus.
Nope, it's way too much work.

The in-game text doesn't know how to word-wrap on its own when it becomes too long for the text window. When that happens, the text runs out of the window and off the screen. In order to prevent this, we have to insert a command to tell the text where to word-wrap.

Since "Behemoths" is a longer word than "Colossi," it takes up more space in the text window and in many cases it makes a difference where we have to place the line breaks for the text. If we were to release two versions, we would have to check how the change affects every text window in which "Behemoths" and "Colossi" appear, and we'd have to manually remove and reinsert line breaks into thousands of lines.
Oh I see, I thought that it'd be like finish script, open up text editor ctrl + h (mass replace) and save but I guess not.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
sayuki said:
wow!!! 95.7%!!!!! a little more! more power!!
yaynds.gif
QUOTE(.Darky @ Sep 8 2011, 11:48 PM) 95.7%? Holy shit, that was fast. Thank you guys for all your hard work.
biggrin.gif
There's no doubt that this translation will reach 100% soon. PG has informed me that all that remains is a single spreadsheet of script and some scattered lines that are really difficult to translate. I'll try to tackle the hard-to-translate lines this weekend and see how many I can get done. But some simply can't be translated unless I (or someone else) plays the game. It's entirely possible that we may not be able to translate a handful of lines until our beta-testers have played through it and can provide us with some helpful context.

But once we reach 100%, there are still the time-consuming processes of editing and beta-testing. I still have to personally go through each and every line myself to make sure all the translations are correct, and the editors have to make the English sound more natural without straying too far from the original Japanese script.

And there are bound to be bugs. PG made a patch for me last April and it had a bug where if I entered a certain screen the game would crash. We'll be calling on some peeps to beta-test once the editing process is over.

Arkiefaust

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
clean rom eh? very well maybe i'll try with a patched rom too... thanks for the info, and great job guys!! appreciate what all you have done!

patience is virtue after all...

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Densetsu9000 said:
DS1 said:
Arkiefaust said:

True story.

DS1 and I were on the translation spreadsheet, standing back to back with our swords drawn when those kanjis attacked us. It was like Kanji no Wataridori on steroids.

Damn you,
19I0e.png
and
waj9Z.png
!
That made me crack up a bit just now..... XD~

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: see ya