[RELEASED] Blood of Bahamut English Patch

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Densetsu, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Valiarchon

Valiarchon trentacles

Mar 11, 2010
    melbourne
    There are monsters called behemoths in most Final Fantasy games, yes, but seeing as how textually at least, this game is full of tribute to other SE games, would it not fit better?
    Besides, that doesn't make it common anyway - SE doesn't even make up 0.01% of published games ;\

Not criticising your preference or anything, I'm just bewildered by your reasoning. I agree, to each their own.

2. micado

micado Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    I just see "Colossus" more fitting to something like living continents. I have no problem with any kind of religious references, so far.

3. trev1

trev1 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2010
    United States
    To me this is Behemoth..

[​IMG]

actually i wouldn't mind beatin on tat with a sword...lol

4. Densetsu
    OP

Densetsu Pubic Ninja

Former Staff
    Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    Wouldn't YOU like to know?
    There's no need for anyone to justify their choice. We just want to know what people want to see in the game, and the majority vote will get what they want.

As an aside, the reason this debate even came about in the first place is because every behemoth that appears in a Final Fantasy title is called "????" (behimosu) in the original Japanese. So it's obvious that "behimosu" would translate into "behemoth."

But in this game, the giants are called "??" (kyojuu). It literally means "giant beast," but calling them "giant beasts" or even "giants" would sound very...uninspired. The word "kyojuu" is such a generic term I'm surprised SE didn't put more thought into it. "Kyojuu" in everyday Japanese speech can refer to an elephant, a whale, a dinosaur or any other large animal.

5. trev1

trev1 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2010
    United States
    Very well said and thanks for your hard work Densetsu... I cant imagine doing what you guys do on top of the daily grind of life as well as being a MOD here.

6. Densetsu
    OP

Densetsu Pubic Ninja

Former Staff
    Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    Wouldn't YOU like to know?
    To be honest I haven't been putting in nearly as much work lately as the others--you should thank them instead. Like you said with my other responsibilities there's only so much I can do [​IMG]

7. trev1

trev1 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2010
    United States
    Agreed! I really meant the entire team..my bad..all you you are truly impressive and i have been following this thread from day 1 ....and the vibes and attitude of you guys and gals have been assuring and positive...this will be one gem of a translation that us in the scene will cherish for years to come...respect to all of you

8. Rexvillo

Rexvillo Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2011
    Brazil
    can´t wait to put my hands on this translation, thank you very much for making this translation

9. Leamonde.Halcyon

Leamonde.Halcyon 6x9=42

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    6x9=42
    Square has a long history of re-using a certain set of names for things. As far as it goes, Behemoth is a long standing name the Square has used in many of their games and they like referencing back to FF. Behemoth has also become a word in modern times meaning any extremely large or powerful entity.

Personally, had the company chosen to translate the game themselves, I don't believe that they would have translated it as colossus.

10. Mcdeal

Mcdeal Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2007
    Canada
    Square has also pretty been consistent in the portrayal of what they call "Behemoths", always as a sort of beast-like entity who are big, purple-ish, and typically have horns. If it doesn't fit that description, it isn't Square Behemoth.

11. DS1

DS1 伝説の雀士

Feb 18, 2009
    United States
    Yes!
    Indeed, I believe if SquareEnix had translated it, they would have gone with, "The Beasts", or even, "The Titans" (though Square has their own depiction of Titans, just as they do the purple Behemoth). We felt "Giant Beasts" was uninspired though.

12. Hakeshu

Hakeshu Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2006
    well, too bad Behemoth is winning. IMO Colossus/Colossi fit the game way better. Behemoth sounds "beastly", meanwhile Colossus sounds more "mechanically". Just my 2 cents.

Thank you again and keep the good work.

13. Coconut

Coconut GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2010
    Netherlands
    Behemoths just sounds ridiculous.

14. Phoenix Goddess

Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

Apr 25, 2009
    United States
    Away from civilization.
    I didn't intend to post, but please keep in mind that each person has their own opinion. What you think may sound ridiculous, out of the ordinary, strange, or even wrong, may sound fitting to another person. So please don't make posts like that and keep in mind, "to each their own".

Please respect the opinion of others. We're choosing whichever one the majority chooses.

That's all.

15. koimayeul

koimayeul GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 2, 2009
    France
    France
    Voted for Behemoth as well

16. Coconut

Coconut GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2010
    Netherlands
    You basically just said 'Don't post your opinion'.
    So why post a poll if you cannot post your opinion.

17. Paarish

Paarish Connor's Nublet

Aug 26, 2009
    Married to DinohScene
    No she's saying not to insult people just because they have a different opinion on this.

BTW I voted Behemoth [​IMG]

18. ~Stenny

~Stenny GBAtemp Regular

Sep 17, 2009
    Brazil
    you basically misunderstood the entire post above. phoenix said "respect the opinion of others", not "don't post your opinion", and without the sense of superiority you might think she has because of the leadership of this huge project. the first sentence means we shouldn't fight, the second sentence means we shouldn't even post, and according to the logic, why do we have a discussion topic about the project if not for giving opinions/critique/advice (and of course posting the progress, as well as giving support)?

19. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I didn't see there were a poll here [​IMG]

I voted Collosus/collossi, even if it's the minority and shouldn't win now.
    I think if Square wanted to use Behemoth, they would have use behimosu.

Like said in a previous post, Behemoth is more considered as a Monster and not a giant where people can live on. (Xenoblade?)

Using a "common monster"'s name they use in their other series for something that doesn't look like "their" usual monster appearance seems odd to me.
    And about "big beast" as a choice of word in Japanese version it's odd too [​IMG]

Of course some people will make the connexion with both games if you use Colussus, but a lot of other players won't (the one who didn't play colossus or don't care to make a connexion).
    Saying that a game can't use Colossus because another game already used is restrictive, almost censoring yourself [​IMG]

I like also Titan to designate something huge, even if it's referring to greek mythology. Or Golem (from the qur'an?), as animated soulless being (though it's not sure if they are/where ever animated? I saw trailer with animated giants) but more because of the "being made in rock material" connotation.
    Maybe golem is already used in the game for something else.

I never posted here but I'm following it from times to times. I wish all the team good luck with completing your project [​IMG]

20. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Fan

May 9, 2007
    Canada
    I had to reread phoenix's post to understand what your post meant. I'm guessing you misunderstood what phoenix said after reading the following line:

So please don't make posts like that and keep in mind, "to each their own".

All she is trying to say here is to not criticize other people's opinion on the said subject, and that's it.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted