ROM Hack [Release] UpdateCDN - download 3DS FW contents, create installable .cia

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I am confuse...can any kind mate explain me what is this?
It's an automated tool to download "firmware update" files, and pack them to cia format.

Why would you want it :
If you are on EmuNAND 4.5.0 and want to update to EmuNAND 9.2.0 you can't do it from the official system menu, it will download and install the latest version (currently 9.4.0).
This tool will download all the files you need to install to update to the version you want instead of last one.

what video is this?
it's the promotional 3D video player released on 1.0.0-1E/J/U and deleted in 2.1.0-E/J/U
each region had a different video.

tubebar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's an automated tool to download "firmware update" files, and pack them to cia format.

Why would you want it :
If you are on EmuNAND 4.5.0 and want to update to 9.2.0 you can't do it from the official system menu, it will download and install the latest version (currently 9.3.0).
This tool download all files you need to install to update to 9.2.0 only.

it's the promotional 3D video player released on 1.0.0-1E/J/U and deleted in 2.1.0-E/J/U
each region had a different video.

Oh so that's the reason for it. Yea you would need to manually update to 9.2, as 9.4 is what is out now and I assume won't work just like 9.3 didn't.

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
WHy do you want to go to EUR? You can'r access eshop now anyway

Because i bought a USA 3DS in Italy at a very low price for developing HB, but since my daughter broke her old NDS she is using it for playing games on CFW waiting for a 'Xmas present. But she hate playing at Animal Crossing in English. :lol:

Updating from one region to another will cause a brick for sure. You would have to be on the region you want to update to from the start.

Confirm :glare:. Now I'm reinjecting the backupped CFW.

Thomas12345

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Why would you want it :
If you are on EmuNAND 4.5.0 and want to update to 9.2.0 you can't do it from the official system menu, it will download and install the latest version (currently 9.3.0).
This tool download all files you need to install to update to 9.2.0 only.

You mean the latest is 9.4 right? And from earlier posts it seems updating to 9.2 doesn't work yet?

Also you can still update emunand using roms right? It's just that there's no game/rom with 9.x update, so we have to use this tool?

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thx cearp, great work!

Could you add duplicate check, so already downloaded files can be skipped?

Wish make_cdn_cia could add thoose files into a single .cia.

Msparky83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok tried again after updating emunand with Smash Bros. (i hate formatting emunand, it takes to damn long) I went from 8.0.0-10U to update 9.2.0-10U y using the 9.0, 9.0 step 2, ans 9.2 .cia's. This time my result was a black screen in emunand. I wonder if I should add the 8.0.0-18 folders contenst as well and try again.

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blackscreen for me aswell after trying 4.5.0 > 9.2.0

I'll try now a small step 4.5.0 > 5.0.0

EDIT: Went black after installing 3rd file

tubebar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because i bought a USA 3DS in Italy at a very low price for developing HB, but since my daughter broke her old NDS she is using it for playing games on CFW waiting for a 'Xmas present. But she hate playing at Animal Crossing in English. :lol:

Why can't you change the language in Animal Crossing? If the US version is only English install the EUR CIA.

If however it is like what Nintendo did with DKCR on Wii, the system chooses it's language based on the system settings - well for that game was eshop region. If you change your 3DS's language setting in options menu (probably during emuNAND setup) it might work. On the Wii DKCR went by your estore setting and just used that language (German, French etc.) if it's using your eshop - not much you can do.

What we need is a region changer for 3DS like we had for Wii, to change region on a per title basis. Usually the eshop is the flag Nintendo uses.

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Why can't you change the language in Animal Crossing? If the US version is only English install the EUR CIA.

If however it is like what Nintendo did with DKCR on Wii, the system chooses it's language based on the system settings - well for that game was eshop region. If you change your 3DS's language setting in options menu (probably during emuNAND setup) it might work. On the Wii DKCR went by your estore setting and just used that language (German, French etc.) if it's using your eshop - not much you can do.

What we need is a region changer for 3DS like we had for Wii, to change region on a per title basis. Usually the eshop is the flag Nintendo uses.

In Animal Crossing, and some other games, you can't change the language, and USA 3DS doesn't have Italian.

tubebar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In Animal Crossing, and some other games, you can't change the language, and USA 3DS doesn't have Italian.

That's really stupid, that's Nintendo for you:glare:

The last thing you could try is installing the EUR eshop but you would have to be able to remove the US eshop, no idea how you could do that? But if it's using that flag that would fix it.

Again I am guessing at what they did on Wii and assume they are doing that for 3DS games where you can't change the language (which is very stupid).

loco365

Trophies
XP
it works
it's currently downloading 15/18/25MB per video.

I don't have cia installer to test it. but the file downloaded and packed correctly.

I tried installing the provided CIA file, but it tells me the CIA is invalid, with an error code of 0xD8E08027.

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
<@yellows8> the tmd version check @ install is done by the arm9.
WELP.
cearp I heard someone on IRC said they've been using the python version but idk where it is.
ooh that's low level ha, that sucks, and hmm, i don't use/like irc really, do you remember who said it?
anyway, it's not super necessary, thanks though
View attachment 12873
I put UpdateCDN.py -EUR 9.2.0-20.csv and downloaded all these. If i want to downgrade have i to install all of them or only 9.2.0.20 folder?
i really don't recommend to downgrade :)
so i can make any 3ds have sysnand 4.1-4.5 or 9.0-9.2 with this tool?
if you can run devmenu, then yes technically. but if you are on an unhackable fw, then no, how can you install the cias? :)
I'm sorry, but how do I use this? I am confused... Anyone got a video tutorial?
it's not difficult, you just type one line and it does it all for you :)
i'm not going to make a video, i doubt anyone else will either. if you are on mac you already have python i'mm pretty sure, if you are on windows you need to install it
damn, no 1.x csv.....my dreams of a 1.x emunand dashed again :lol:
haha yeah, well even so, maybe gw's emunand stuff wouldn't support it anyway.. we don't know. we could try 2.0.0-2 though
Trying to update from USA 4.1 CFW to a EUR 4.5.
I'll let you know if it works.
First problem is that there are toom many cia files for dev menu. trying to split them in several dirs.
EDIT: not a problem of number of files, but content corrupted. Trying again
come on buddy, i already said in the top that it didn't work, in bold, near the top :(
it will not replace the system, it will just install the extra titles, so it just takes up space in your nand, which is actually not good i'm sure.
Its possible to compile it to a gui for mac and windows users? Like NUSDownloader? High prasie to the dev, respect. And as always , please keep on dev, thanks :nds:
haha, if only it was that easy to 'compile to gui' :) sure a gui would be nice, but really this is easy because you just type one line and it is all automated, with a gui you would have to open the gui... select the fw you want... etc etc :)
if you are on mac, you can use this straight out of the box since you already have python, if you are on windows then yeah you need to download it.
Well....I can confirm that this works. I was on emunand 8.0 and went to 9.2 and was fine until i restarted the console. I booted into my newly 9.2ed GW mode and was greeted after a few second with the infamous "NINTENDO" error has occured please turn of the console and try again message. If anyone else encounters this please let me know what steps you did and how you resolved it. (if you were able to resolve it) I don't really want to wipe my emunand and start over but will do so if needed.
hmm, so you installed the 9.2 cias, and then turn off the console? or pressed home (you weren't in 9.2 then i'm sure - when i did it i had to reboot to see the change)
MAYBE, gw does something special with 9.0 FW emunands, - is it true that a 9.x emunand will NOT work when flashed back to sysnand? maybe that is the reason you get black screen...? hmm
Thx cearp, great work!
Could you add duplicate check, so already downloaded files can be skipped?
Wish make_cdn_cia could add thoose files into a single .cia.
sure it's possible to add the duplicate check, maybe later, it wasn't important to me really, but sure maybe.
and yes i would want to make one big cia file too, maybe it's not possible, maybe we don't have the tools, maybe we do, i'm not sure.

i still haven't got confirmation from anyone that it worked for them yet, ha.
i saw some people got black screen when they went to 9.x, MAYBE that is because gw does something to the emunand on 9.x? i think i once read that a 9.x emunand will not work when flashed to sysnand, whereas the lower fw emunands would work?
maybe that's not true, if it is true, maybe it's the reason, maybe not.
all i can say is that it worked for me to go to 4.5->6.3->5.1
if you have a nandmod maybe someone can try updating the sysnand from 4.5 to 9.x, and see if it works like that, since then you wouldn't have gw's emunand code getting in the way (if it is) :)

Reactions: BufferOverflow

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
So is this like NUS Downloader?

Yes, it's similar and aimed to 3DS.
Problem is that this isn't work yet to do region changing, it's still untested on sysNAND and people like me couldn't update their emuNAND to 9.X from 8.X or below with gateway older launcher (and since the new one can install and boot the 9.4 version, we can do it the older way), but seems to work well with some scenarios as cearp posted in the opening.

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
That's really stupid, that's Nintendo for you:glare:

The last thing you could try is installing the EUR eshop but you would have to be able to remove the US eshop, no idea how you could do that? But if it's using that flag that would fix it.

Again I am guessing at what they did on Wii and assume they are doing that for 3DS games where you can't change the language (which is very stupid).

no, the eshop is not going to help, you can change the language in system settings, no via the eshop.
you can install the eur eshop without removing the us eshop. if the guy is desperate he could rom hack the game to replace the language files he wants with english, or just replace every language with the one he wants - but it might be a bit tricky - and at most difficult, every game can store their language files etc, in a different way.
it would be best if gw let us load a game in a particular language, but seeing as they have no options/settings/etc, we are out of luck :)

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok tried again after updating emunand with Smash Bros. (i hate formatting emunand, it takes to damn long) I went from 8.0.0-10U to update 9.2.0-10U y using the 9.0, 9.0 step 2, ans 9.2 .cia's. This time my result was a black screen in emunand. I wonder if I should add the 8.0.0-18 folders contenst as well and try again.

I noticed two things regarding this after testing a lot.

1. Don't use old devmenu_2x, devmenu_620 (0.19.49 r53511) worked
2. If installing files was ok, and booting emunand is black, delete nintendo 3ds folder

Tested with 4.5 > 5.0 (devmenu_2x gave cia installing blackscreen)

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I noticed two things regarding this after testing a lot.

1. Don't use old devmenu_2x, devmenu_620 (0.19.49 r53511) worked
2. If installing files was ok, and booting emunand is black, delete nintendo 3ds folder

Tested with 4.5 > 5.0 (devmenu_2x gave cia installing blackscreen)
how did you think to delete the nintendo 3ds folder? and why do you think it helped? very strange... but, good you got it working :)

Reactions: liomajor

loco365

Trophies
XP
how did you think to delete the nintendo 3ds folder? and why do you think it helped? very strange... but, good you got it working :)

It's probably trying to read something from there and is all "lolnope".

Anyone have luck getting the promo videos to install? I keep getting error codes when trying to install it. Better yet, can we make that video run from SD or perhaps convert it into a 3DS rom?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lesbians invented babies +2