ROM Hack [Release] UpdateCDN - download 3DS FW contents, create installable .cia

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They probably told 4.5 users to stay on 4.5 because future firmware updates from Nintendo may block Gateway, and thus they don't want to be getting complaints from 4.5 users who accidentally updated to 9.3/9.4 trying to get to the "new" supported firmware. I don't think they said that because 9.2 support will have less features. Though it might have less features in the beginning since they are building things off a new exploit, so the old launcher.dat method will likely not be what they use in the new exploit.

But ultimately, the new 9.0-9.2 support should eventually have emuNand support. If 9.3/9.4 does indeed block Gateway's exploit like everyone seems to be expecting, then that's all the more reason to work on getting emunand working. That may be why they haven't released the update yet. They want emuNand working out of the box. ;)

This was my guess, although with 9.3 blocking GW I'm almost hoping they're just faking out Nintendo, saying it's been patched, and then suddenly when the NA N3DS comes out, poof! "Hey guys, we support 9.3 now!". I'm mostly guessing this is the case because they haven't released anything as of yet, and it's already been stated that the ninjhax fix is only a partial fix in the first place (I believe you can still execute ARM11 usermode code, although just not as conveniently as before). So if the ARM11->ARM9 escalation is still there (or whatever they have going on) it might be possible. Maybe. I still have a 9.2 3DS so I'm good for now, but if I get an NA N3DS it would be great for Gateway to work on it, or even better, have the ability to at least downgrade to 9.2 for ninjhax to take advantage of the extra goodies with the N3DS.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I saw the Gateway update in time, so my 3DS is still on 9.2. Hell it was on 4.5 when I originally got it, but I couldn't afford Gateway at the time and got tired of sitting with a console I can't use any games on, so I just updated it so I can play my Pokemon game on it. :P

But that won't be an issue this time around. I don't think another game patch for Pokemon will be out for awhile, I should have a Gateway by then hopefully. :P

Pokemon X and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire are the only games I own for the 3DS right now. I'm not really into the Smash Bros series, so I never bothered with that. Glad I didn't. Looks like that game gets game patches frequently. :P

Reactions: telon22

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
What was the "hack"? Did you change the version number?

cearp use python make_cdn_cia so it works cross platform.
yes, i made a nice batch tmd editing tool. i'm not sure if we can install titles of an equal version..? but yes definitely not lower. i spoofed the titles to version 0xfff lol
oh there is a python one? can you link me to it? that would be super easy, thanks :)

i just remembered/realized, we don't need to use emunand, so yes this would work perfectly on sysnand... very very dangerous :D
if you don't have a 4.5 backup (and nand mod too) then you can lock yourself out of your 3ds like this.
downgrading sysnand to 2.0.0 and making it think you are on the max possible version would be evil, a nice little cia bricker/malware could be created, making just one title (per region) mess up everything... :(

Reactions: Zeffy

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, i made a nice batch tmd editing tool. i'm not sure if we can install titles of an equal version..? but yes definitely not lower. i spoofed the titles to version 0xfff lol
oh there is a python one? can you link me to it? that would be super easy, thanks :)

i just remembered/realized, we don't need to use emunand, so yes this would work perfectly on sysnand... very very dangerous :D
if you don't have a 4.5 backup (and nand mod too) then you can lock yourself out of your 3ds like this.
downgrading sysnand to 2.0.0 and making it think you are on the max possible version would be evil, a nice little cia bricker/malware could be created, making just one title (per region) mess up everything... :(

I'm assuming this has only been used on an original 3ds and 3ds xl and not the newer N3ds.
Please no one try to downgrade on a N3DS. It most likely would end tragically

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
How can i run rhis on python? Can you make later a windows exe?

it is python, you need to find a windows make_cdn_cia.exe though. but duo8 said there is a python version of make_cdn_cia, i had no idea, so i'll put that in when i get it/find it and update the zip and it will work just the same basically

- i have included this link in the first post:
https://github.com/ctrdev/ctrsdk/blob/master/tools/make_cdn_cia/bin/make_cdn_cia.exe?raw=true
put it in the folder with UpdateCDN.py, it should/might work :)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
quick question, would you be able to run eshop by doing this....either just updating the eshop app, or by spoofing the FW to 9.4

but really i think a translated emunand would be the main benefit for people who have ordered a japanese n3ds (assuming gateway have emunand up & running on 9.0-9.2)......would make importing a japanese console a easier choice

Reactions: tyons

y03usw6e

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You know how the Gateway team said that if you're on 4.X to stay there? Well, if you're not, you might soon be able to.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already (I rarely read these forums lately because of all the useless duplicate threads) but I think the reason that people on firmwares below/including 4.5 shouldn't upgrade is not only because of the fact that they don't have support yet, but also because shit like Relys 3DS_Multi_Decryptor don't (and probably never will) support +4.5
quick question, would you be able to run eshop by doing this....either just updating the eshop app, or by spoofing the FW to 9.4

but really i think a translated emunand would be the main benefit for people who have ordered a japanese n3ds (assuming gateway have emunand up & running on 9.0-9.2)......would make importing a japanese console a easier choice
I really hope they end up enabling region spoofing for eShop

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Exactly. They showed homebrew and dev menu stuff working, so it seems they have patched the system somehow. If my theory is correct, downgrading will become possible soon.
downgrading is possible, but devmenu does not show system titles, so we cannot delete the titles 'left behind' form the higher firmware that are not needed in the lower firmware.
with devmenu, you can only install system titles (maybe any title?) that is of a higher version that the existing one.
i think (i could remember it wrong) when i downgraded, the cia contents was checked, not just the version, so even if the version was higher, because i had the same exact title installed, same size, same data etc, the title would not install. (not a problem, no real reason to install the exact same title with a different version)
if devmenu was patched to allow installing older versions of titles over new ones, then sure downgrading would be super easy. at the moment i had to edit the version of the tmd in every title (easy work with a tool i made though) - which is an ugly way of doing it.
maybe we will get some wadmanager-esc type manager that allows more power than devmenu. maybe people have a patched devmenu already, i'm not sure, i guess it's possible to make one.

I'm assuming this has only been used on an original 3ds and 3ds xl and not the newer N3ds.
Please no one try to downgrade on a N3DS. It most likely would end tragically
sure only on a regular 3ds, not new3ds, we can't run gateway/devmenu on n3ds yet :)
i'm sure you will be able to downgrade the n3ds like this, but of course, only on a fw that supports n3ds, otherwise there will be nothing to boot i guess. (there are specific new titles for n3ds, so yeah if they are not there, that's bad)

So let me get this straight so "in theory" if my jap new 3ds is hacked with the upcoming gateway exploit and if it has emunand I could install a USA update and have English?!
lol no, read the op, the top bit in bold, i said it wasn't as easy as that, i'm sure it's possible, but just not yet

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu

eshop checks EVERY system title, so if you spoofed the version of every title that you have to make it think it is the newest version, and eshop (and i guess eshop would have to be the newest version too, so it connects to nintendo's servers happily, we don't know what they change etc) - then MAYBE.
on 9.2 (i think it was 9.2), i updated to the latest eshop (and eshop mint applet) and they did not run on my system, i got a black loading 3ds screen... so i'm not sure what happened there.
if you could patch eshop to disable the version checks/patch gw to return OK checks when requested, then it might be ok :)
'translated emunand' - you make it sound like someone will decompile the jp titles and translate them, that would be a lot of effort, but yes i'm sure (if anyone clever enough wants to do it), that we will be able to change regions :) but so far no... because, maybe it's just not worth someone's time

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
<@yellows8> the tmd version check @ install is done by the arm9.

WELP.

cearp I heard someone on IRC said they've been using the python version but idk where it is.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Whoa whoa whoa.
I don't visit GBAtemp for a few hours and this is what happens?
I did not see that coming.
Awesome work.

By the way, I thought DevMenu worked on sysNAND in GW mode? Pretty sure GW claimed that it did.

Reactions: pikatsu

pikatsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I am not good on programming so i couldnt make it work. If you see the images i get a syntax error. Can you help me with the right method and syntax 12.JPG23.JPG

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country
Won't we lose our saves created with 4.5 if we update to latest version ? like what happens with pokemon. I think that enough might be a reason for not updating lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill