Hacking [RELEASE] Pasta CFW without Cubic Ninja - MSET (4.x old3ds)

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Requirements

• SD Card (preferably blank, if not make sure to take a full backup)
  • A PC with an SD card reader
  • A 4.5 or lower 3DS with mset already installed using Gateway's Installer file.
Software Download Links:
  1. Format your SD card. It should be completely blank. Make sure to take a backup if you were using it for something else.
  2. In the "SD Card" folder from Palantine's CFW, you will find files such as Launcher.dat. Copy all of these onto the SD Card.
  3. Now, copy the boot.bin from PBT-CFW. There should already be a boot.bin from Palantine's CFW - delete this one and make sure you are running PBT CFW.
  4. Put the SD into the 3DS. Start the system, and let it create software management information. Now power down the system, and put the SD back into your computer.
  5. Now, in your SD card, there should be a Nintendo 3DS folder. Open it, and open the folder inside that. There should be another, so open that too. You should see a exdata folder.
  6. Make a new folder (not inside the exdata folder, but in the same directory as it) called “dbs”. Go into the folder and make a blank text file, named “title.db” or “import.db”. Doesn’t matter which.
  7. Put the SD back into the 3DS.
  8. Now, navigate to Settings --> Other --> Profile. WHILE HOLDING THE L BUTTON, tap DS Profile. The screen should be a DARK blue on the top. As with regular CFW, the bottom screen should ideally flash white for a moment and then load the CFW. If it doesn't, hold power to reboot the system and repeat step 9. Make sure to hold L.
  9. Now, once you’ve gotten into PBT-CFW, you’ll need your 3DS’ IP Address. You can use the tool you downloaded earlier (the network scanner) to find the devices from Nintendo. Note the IP. (usually looks like 192.168.1.1xx).
  10. Copy the DevMenu CIA you downloaded earlier into the Palantine CFW folder with run.bat.
  11. Edit the run.bat file in the Palantine CFW folder. Replace the DevMenu_2x.cia part with the name of your CIA, and the IPTOMODIFY with your IP.
  12. Code:
    installcia IPTOMODIFY 1 DevMenu_2x.cia
  13. Code:
    installcia 192.168.1.155 1 DevMenu_2x.cia
  14. Now execute the run.bat by double clicking it. It should return a result code of 0. If it doesn't, repeat steps 5-14. If it fails to connect, make sure the IP is correct and the 3DS is connected to the internet.
  15. You should now have DevMenu installed onto the 3DS.
  16. Turn off and remove your SD card.
  17. Now, in your SD card,replace Launcher.dat by the Pasta CFW Launcher.dat
  18. Stick your SD card back to 3DS and navigate to Settings --> Other --> Profile. WHILE HOLDING THE L BUTTON, tap DS Profile(Dont always need to hold the L button,just on first time).
  19. If everythings works you will boot on to Pasta CFW without Cubic Ninja!
Only works on old3ds with firmware 4.x

I´m not owner!Tutorial by:Chaldron

Why are you "releasing" someone else's work. This was a proof of concept as part of the original pasta development. It's not meant to be an end user software and is not supported by devs. And you said you didnt write the tutorial. So what exactly are you doing? Everything about this is bad form. I wish there were unlike button.

coolfuze

Trophies
XP
Country
Why are you "releasing" someone else's work. This was a proof of concept as part of the original pasta development. It's not meant to be an end user software and is not supported by devs. And you said you didnt write the tutorial. So what exactly are you doing? Everything about this is bad form. I wish there were unlike button.

I mostly agree with what you're saying, he should have given credit to nop90 for this PoC. However alot of people are finding this to be an improvement to palantine so what's wrong with releasing something that is all around better. He should also have linked the original tutorial he got it from, that way we can see if he just copy pastad(:P) or he simplified things and added clearer instructions. I try not to judge but when I do I like to have all the facts. Also it might not be officially supported by nop90 but I'd like to think it warms his heart to see how much joy it's giving people.

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I mostly agree with what you're saying, he should have given credit to nop90 for this PoC. However alot of people are finding this to be an improvement to palantine so what's wrong with releasing something that is all around better. He should also have linked the original tutorial he got it from, that way we can see if he just copy pastad(:P) or he simplified things and added clearer instructions. I try not to judge but when I do I like to have all the facts. Also it might not be officially supported by nop90 but I'd like to think it warms his heart to see how much joy it's giving people.
I would like to hear nop90 opinion on this.
first off. This was put out for testing as well as a poc of a future release. The people that don't know how to use this are the ones that arnt meant to. They'll complain and ask questions when no one is there to officially support it. Also if they are coming here to set it up. Then they don't know where or how to report results. Or that it even needs to be done.
Secondly, this tutorial already exists. Which means this random dude stole work from two different people and "released" it without credit. For what? Popularity? What a tool.

Edit, also, if you tag a thread "release" that means you wrote that software.

Last edited by WeedZ,

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I would like to hear nop90 opinion on this.

I don't like writing tutorial and keeping answering to the noob questions for pages, so i'm happy that someone else is supporting the community while devs spend time coding.

Also credit is not so important. I'm only reusing pieces of code made upon a writeup of the RE of the loader for a Card used to load pirate games, which core code was bought from a small group of RE Gurus, that reversed the Nintendo code.

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't like writing tutorial and keeping answering to the noob questions for pages, so i'm happy that someone else is supporting the community while devs spend time coding.

Also credit is not so important. I'm only reusing pieces of code made upon a writeup of the RE of the loader for a Card used to load pirate games, which core code was bought from a small group of RE Gurus, that reversed the Nintendo code.
If you don't mind, that means I'm wrong. I apologize. To you and kscripnic

Suiginou

(null)
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Yo, just wanted to say, I'm really digging this no-fucks-given attitude. Makes it so much easier for everyone to do things if you don't constantly have to watch out not to step on someone's toes.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you don't mind, that means I'm wrong. I apologize. To you and kscripnic

I actually agree with you in some respects, and I don't think you have to apologise to kscripnic. His OP was nothing more than a half-assed copy-and-paste job, and aside from not crediting nop90 (for PBT as well as the Pasta MSET POC), he missed at least 1 crucial step of the process, which just served to confuse people further, leading to pages of unnecessary questions.

He also completely failed to add any warnings to the post about the dangers of using a program that writes files to sysnand, I'm frankly amazed this hasn't resulted in any bricks (that we know of).

Last but by no means least, he should have credited Chaldron for his original tutorial in bold font right at the start of the OP, not as an afterthought right at the bottom.

I do think this process needed a tutorial, because once something is available people are obviously going to want to use it, but this was not well done.

I'm sure that observant people have noticed that kscripnic has not posted since putting this up, and does in fact only have 13 posts total.

Reactions: WeedZ

caytung07

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

man, you're such an awesome fellow

kiryu1

Trophies
XP
Country
Magandang umaga din kababayan. :P

Actually there might be a solution for that. Use SaveDataFiler. However that tool is so user unfriendly I wouldn't be able to help you find the save file you want to backup. I was successful in using SaveDataFiler to backup my Shin Megami Tensei IV save in a Classic 3DS (Which I sold) and transfer it to a 3DS XL (Because the developer has decided to name their savefile in a generous manner.). Both are on Palantine CFW.

OR. Get a new SD card and use PasteCFW (MSET) on that and keep your older SD card for Palantine.

Or we wait for an emuNAND version of PastaCFW. :P

Thanks! Yeah, I'm seeing that an emunand version of pasta is in the works.. Hope they also make a CN-less emunand pasta for N3DS :D

BobPwnz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone help me? Im at the stage to install the devmenu but when I click run.bat it says it failed to connect. I am 100% positive i put in the right ip as I tripled checked it but it still doesnt work.

Domino101

Trophies
XP
Country
Can anyone help me? Im at the stage to install the devmenu but when I click run.bat it says it failed to connect. I am 100% positive i put in the right ip as I tripled checked it but it still doesnt work.

when you go into system settings> other settings>profile holds L when tapping Nintendo Ds Profile do you get the top screen blue and the bottom screen flash white???

BobPwnz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about your IP address? suppose to look like 192.168.1.xxx? what program did you use to see it?

I used the one linked to in the post. My ip however isnt like that. 192.168.1.26. It says Nintendo in the ip tracker. That is the only one.

Domino101

Trophies
XP
Country
I used the one linked to in the post. My ip however isnt like that. 192.168.1.26. It says Nintendo in ip tracker. That is the only one.

You suppose to use your own Ip address. If 192.168.1.26 is your 3ds IP address then edit the run.bat file and remove whats in it and put this "installcia 192.168.1.26 1 DevMenu_2x.cia" without the quotations marks or maybe instead of "DevMenu_2x.cia" file on the root of your SD card you have "DevMenu.cia" if so jus rename it, that happened to me..

BobPwnz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You suppose to use your own Ip address. If 192.168.1.26 is your 3ds IP address then edit the run.bat file and remove whats in it and put this "installcia 192.168.1.26 1 DevMenu_2x.cia" without the quotations marks or maybe instead of "DevMenu_2x.cia" file on the root of your SD card you have "DevMenu.cia" if so jus rename it, that happened to me..
That is what i put.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: After my shower +1