[Release] Neo-Geo Forwarder Creator

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Sakitoshi, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Sakitoshi
    OP

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    WARNING: NEW 3DS ONLY
    OLD 3DS IS TOO WEAK TO EMULATE NEO-GEO AT PLAYABLE SPEEDS

upload_2017-6-3_7-28-59.png

Current version: 1.5.1
    Changelog

Description:
    With this tool you'll be able to make independent retroarch cias for your favorite Neo-Geo games using the Final Burn Alpha 2012 NeoGeo core without having to install retroarch or anything besides the generated cia.

Usage:
    It's pretty self explanatory, there is only one thing that isn't quite clear:
    You need to copy the Neo-Geo bios (named "neogeo.zip") in the same folder as this program.
    The program will detect if the bios is usable and wont let you proceed if the bios is missing or incompatible.

If the resulting cia doesn't boot (boots and kicks you out to the 3ds menu without warning) is most likely due to an incompatible romset, you can test your roms with the pc version of Final Burn Alpha or Retroarch before creating the cia to make sure that it will work.

Big games (like Metal Slug 3, SVC Chaos and most of the King of Fighters series) will take a while to boot, just wait a minute and you'll be greeted with the Neo-Geo bios like usual.

Key mapping:
    The buttons are assigned as follow:
    Neo-Geo A = 3DS B
    Neo-Geo B = 3DS A
    Neo-Geo C = 3DS Y
    Neo-Geo D = 3DS X
    Neo-Geo Start = 3DS Start
    Neo-Geo Coin/Select = 3DS Select

Turbo button:
    As of version 1.5.1 a turbo button has been added. This button has to be manually enabled by giving it a key map from the button remapping option.
    It works like a shift button, any other button that you press while holding the turbo button will rapid fire.

Uni-bios usage instructions:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Tools used to make this possible:
    3dstool, bannertool, ctrtool, imagemagick convert and makerom.
    And thanks to @Asdolo for his retroarch fork.

Last edited by Sakitoshi, Sep 8, 2017 - Reason: updated to version 1.5.1

2. soprano1

soprano1 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 16, 2016
    Portugal
    Damn, too bad about no O3DS, but it's still cool to be able to play Neo-Geo like this.

3. Hopalongtom

Hopalongtom GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    Is it possible to set defeat Unibios settings in the program such as lives/tokens, PG/Blood?

4. Sakitoshi
    OP

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    Yes, I should have put how to use the unibios in the op (and I will right now, I was kind of in a hurry when I created the thread).

To access the unibios menu you have to press A+B+Y at the first screen (the one that say neogeo universe bios, region and mode), you can change some setting there but mainly the game region and if will act as if plugged to an arcade or the home version of the neogeo.
    To access the dip switches you have to press A+X+Y then navigate to the third option (setting up the soft dip) and once there the second option (slot1 *name of the game*)
    You can also access an in-game menu if you press Start+Select while playing, there are cheats there that are included with the unibios (no idea how to edit the cheats).

5. Hopalongtom

Hopalongtom GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    I've frequently had issues before trying to toggle the blood on in the Metal Slug games though said menu, often having to toggle things one way, then back again to get it to work, was hoping there was a way to set it as default setting upon booting a game!

6. Sakitoshi
    OP

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    I have updated the creator and fixed most bugs.
    I still could update it a little more to add automatic naming and maybe include title screenshots for every game (but only if there is interest, I'm too lazy to do it just because).

7. chronoss

chronoss GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 26, 2015
    Central African Republic
    I test a program but i have no .cia after the conversion :(

8. Sakitoshi
    OP

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    Can you be more specific about what happens? does an error message or red text appear anywhere?

9. elBenyo

elBenyo Wad of meat.

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    I use NeoDS with TWLoader on O3DS, it supports in-box features.

10. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2015
    United States
    Carmichael, California
    Tried making a CIA, but it looks like it is creating everything required, but when I go to the Directory Selected.......nothing.

chronoss likes this.
  11. xalphax

xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Nov 18, 2006
    Croatia
    here'n'there
    Old 3ds is too weak to emulate Neo Geo, so you use a DS homebrew instead... something doesn't add up...

12. Sakitoshi
    OP

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    Ok, I know what's happening now, only thing I'll say is that I hate spaces.
    Anyway, issue fixed and op updated.

Smoker1 likes this.
  13. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2015
    United States
    Carmichael, California
    Tried Installing 2 CIAs. Both get this:
    Import Failed.
    This CIA is is Invalid.
    (0xD8E08025)

Roms used are the ones that work with the RA FBA Build. Same with the BIOS

Last edited by Smoker1, Jun 26, 2017
  14. Disharmony16

Disharmony16 ~DooM-BringeR~

Aug 31, 2015
    United States
    Troll Islands
    Tried a lot of games and all just give me back to the homemenu, i just don't know how to get a specific rom for final burn alpha

15. Sakitoshi
    OP

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    mmm... I tested installing with title manager and fbi and neither had any problem installing the cias.
    Check that the tools folder is extracting correctly, maybe your antivirus is doing things to those files.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Try with a simple rom like Metal Slug 1.
    I can't exactly say from where I get roms but I can hint that is a "paradisiacal" place.

16. Disharmony16

Disharmony16 ~DooM-BringeR~

Aug 31, 2015
    United States
    Troll Islands
    I just want to try kof 2002 mp 2 and marvel vs capcom but both dont work and i already visited that paradisiacal site but i think i'm out of luck, i'm trying to download a pack of roms for the specific emulador that you said so i'll report back later.

17. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2015
    United States
    Carmichael, California
    Tried even with World Heroes 2 which is smaller and it still got the Error. But here is what I used for Settings Neo-Geo Forwarder Creator Problem MSLUG.jpg Neo-Geo Forwarder Creator Problem.jpg

18. chronoss

May 26, 2015
    Central African Republic
    I have now .cia file with the latest version ;)

Trying karnov and power instinct on my N3DS and Karnov work very well but Power Instinct give an error :(

@Sakitoshi : can u make the programm give an random "Produit code" and "Unique ID" ?

Last edited by chronoss, Jun 27, 2017
  19. Sakitoshi
    OP

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    For kof 2002 mp2 you need the base kof 2002 and the mp2 mod, also get the roms from the neogeo section not the mame section (the romsets are different in many cases). I'm getting the roms to test if something else is wrong.
    And marvel vs capcom is a cps2 game, not neogeo. I do have a cps2 creator in the works, but I want to make sure that this one is stable enough before releasing it.

I see nothing wrong with those settings, I'm taking a look at this to see if I can get the same error and fix it.

The rom name for power instinct is matrim.zip, check if that is correct or it wouldn't work.

A random product code and unique id generator is one of my plans for the future, but for now isn't a pressing issue.

chronoss likes this.
  20. chronoss

May 26, 2015
    Central African Republic
    No, power instinct is powerins.zip