Status
Not open for further replies.

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah but i dont see them able to patch this as if you buy a game from the eshop your downloading from the same servers as downloading from freeshop
they could add more server security so it will only let you download it if it knows the game was payed for or they could just sue the guy who made this

Alan Treecko

GBATemp's official fanfiction disposer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they could add more server security so it will only let you download it if it knows the game was payed for or they could just sue the guy who made this
they do have security on the eshop which near the end of your download, it checks if you actually bought the game, if you didnt, the download automatically fails. however it's not server controlled so how...?

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they do have security on the eshop which near the end of your download, it checks if you actually bought the game, if you didnt, the download automatically fails. however it's not server controlled so how...?
that's not actually how it works. also, if it was that, it wouldn't make sense(why not just check at the beginning??).

it's because usually when you install a CIA, you sometimes don't have the proper encrypted titlekey in the CIA, so it creates a bad ticket with the wrong titlekey. this titlekey is used to decrypt the contents while they download/install. with the wrong titlekey though, it decrypts to garbage, so at the end it fails hash checks due to it not decrypting properly, not because you didn't buy it.

Last edited by ihaveahax,
D

Deleted User

Can we all agree that he's a noob and he doesn't know what he's talking about and have us shut up about it

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
So from what I understand this uses a custom cache for title info?
Why not download it from eshop? Is it too complicated?

TheCruel

Developer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So from what I understand this uses a custom cache for title info?
Why not download it from eshop? Is it too complicated?
Well, people are commonly using a encTitleKeys.bin with over 1100 titles that need to have their icons/metadata fetched, taking about 3 seconds per title on the 3ds, which is nearly an hour. Plus it would take forever on the 3ds hardware to assemble a 1024x1024 texture like this and use ETC1 compression on it. So if I make changes again and everything needs to be fetched again in a different format, you'd have to wait over an hour on the loading screen. With the cache, you need to wait less than 10 seconds.

But I'll eventually be using both the cache and direct fetching of data (and I'll skip the texture compression on the remaining icons not in the cache). That way if you have some title keys that aren't in the cache, it will just fetch those. You likely won't have a ton, so it would likely be no longer than a minute of processing.

And now that cache extracting isn't as slow, I won't hesitate to update the cache more frequently. It's mostly an automated process, I just have to push a git tag and it will fetch, assemble, and package the new release.

Last edited by TheCruel,
Reactions: I pwned U!

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
What about the reverse? Have it fetch data from eShop first, just like normal eShop. Then when the user enter the title page, check the database for title key.

TheCruel

Developer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about the reverse? Have it fetch data from eShop first, just like normal eShop. Then when the user enter the title page, check the database for title key.
Then I would be fetching even more data of game that people may not even have the keys for... that would be slower.

And without cache I would have to get rid of the live searching and use eShop's search API so you have to wait for it to parse the results and fetch icons just like eShop. The whole point is to not be slow like eShop....

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
@TheCruel I have a suggestion.
Sometimes when I select a game, it loads for a really long time, and when that happens, I usually lose interest. Would it be possible for you to add a function that when a game loads for more than ~10 seconds, you can cancel by pressing B and continue browsing?

Ryumaru

Creator of themes for 3DS
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
@TheCruel I have a suggestion.
Sometimes when I select a game, it loads for a really long time, and when that happens, I usually lose interest. Would it be possible for you to add a function that when a game loads for more than ~10 seconds, you can cancel by pressing B and continue browsing?
You can cancel the download by clicking the X icon that appears in the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    D @ diamondsofmayhem: Pleasure to meet you +1