filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
www.sweetsideofsweden.com
XP
Country
Sweden
I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10. Several programs like Lunar Magic might not work.

So, Cemu is currently hacked together? There's less progress on Decaf, but it isn't held together with duct tape. Is that about right?

If it works on 7 or 8 it'll work on 10 (Unless it's modifying low level windows components).

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10. Several programs like Lunar Magic might not work.

So, Cemu is currently hacked together? There's less progress on Decaf, but it isn't held together with duct tape. Is that about right?
Out of all the reasons for not updating to Windows 10 you chose software compatibility with small freewares ?

Lunar Magic is working fine on Windows 10 and so will 99.9999% of the softwares you use (I guess if you use an antivirus software there's a chance it won't work)

Exzap

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Will there be a version for Mac?
There are no plans for a Mac version right now. But I am not opposed to it. It's just too early to worry about ports when the emulator still lacks so much basic functionality.

is there any estimate as to when you'll get AMD cards to work with cemu? o:

also isn't the Wii U AMD based?
No estimate. But I will have access to a machine with an AMD GPU soon, then I can finally do some testing. But before that Cemu 1.0.2 will be released which has additional logging to track down the AMD issues.

And yes, Wii U's GPU is based on Radeon r600 architecture with some enhancements. But that doesn't really help because on PC rendering still has to be done via an abstracted API.

Cemu is not hacked together. It has been in development for a longer period of time so naturally it's further along.

I stated that when more accurate emulation will be necessary Decaf would have the upper hand for investing in a solid code base.
Sorry but that's just not true. Decaf is still very early in development and the developers decided to take many shortcuts which are clearly hacks and not a 'solid code base'. For example they ignore the entire implementation of GPU7 commands and registers as mentioned here in this post.

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
You have your answer: We will have to wait for future processors. ;)
What. no.

Cemu is running slow because not optimized yet, I guess it doesn't do dynamic recompilation yet for example. It is likely that they are trying to make the emulator work before doing any kind of optimization.

CosmoCortney

i snack raw pasta and chew lollipops
Trophies
Website
follow-the-white-rabbit.wtf
XP
Country
Germany
Will reach Cemu 100% speed with actual processors or we wiil have to wait for future processors?
Time will tell. But I can personally imagine Wii U games being emulated at full speed on actual processors if the emulator becomes as advanced as Dolphin

Reactions: Margen67

ExJam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
We're all friends here, no need to start some Decaf vs cemu war, both code bases take their own approaches (I can only assume - one is closed source ;) )

Decaf is still very early in development and the developers decided to take many shortcuts which are clearly hacks and not a 'solid code base'. For example they ignore the entire implementation of GPU7 commands and registers as mentioned here in this post.

I'm pretty sure registers are internal to the api and not needed to be emulated exactly. But yes our GX2 implementation is very experimental and "hacky" whilst we learn about how it works - we only just got our first commercial game rendering http://puu.sh/l1cFs/3cf90ef641.png. Everything else is pretty damn solid though ;)

Last edited by ExJam,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will reach Cemu 100% speed with actual processors or we wiil have to wait for future processors?
Nope, Cemu will never run with actual processors, we'll have to wait for CPUs that are so powerful they transcend the physical plane

;)

Edit: Also, does Cemu emulate the gamepad screen as well, or is it just the TV for now?

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,
Reactions: Growlith1223

cyrax33

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I am a long time resident Dolphin member and supporter. I just signed up to the forum to let the developers know what a fantastic job you are doing with the project. Especially with Cemu's progress so far, it is amazing. I have some questions besides the whole open/closed source debate, how will you emulate the screen of the gamepad, will it be something shown on the monitor like Citra, Desmume, etc.? And do you have an expected target release (v1.0.3, 1.0.4) for emulating sound/music? Keep up the great work and I will be a supporter of this project all the way. Thanks.

Last edited by cyrax33,

Kristiqn5

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone, I am a long time resident Dolphin member and supporter. I just signed up to the forum to let the developers know what a fantastic job you are doing with the project. Especially with Cemu's progress so far, it is amazing. I have some questions besides the whole open/closed source debate, how will you emulate the screen of the gamepad, will it be something shown on the monitor like Citra, Desmume, etc.? And do you have an expected target release (v1.0.3, 1.0.4) for emulating sound/music? Keep up the great work and I will be a supporter of this project all the way. Thanks.
maybe on a another window I guess, and sound probably should be implanted after most games work almost perfectly/perfectly or emulator has optimized speed because it will be a lot laggy/choppy because currently it runs at 2-5 fps , some games like New Super Mario Bros and New Super Luigi Bros run at 20 fps

Hykem

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry but that's just not true. Decaf is still very early in development and the developers decided to take many shortcuts which are clearly hacks and not a 'solid code base'. For example they ignore the entire implementation of GPU7 commands and registers as mentioned here in this post.

We're all friends here, no need to start some Decaf vs cemu war, both code bases take their own approaches (I can only assume - one is closed source ;) )

I'm pretty sure registers are internal to the api and not needed to be emulated exactly. But yes our GX2 implementation is very experimental and "hacky" whilst we learn about how it works - we only just got our first commercial game rendering http://puu.sh/l1cFs/3cf90ef641.png. Everything else is pretty damn solid though ;)

I stand corrected.
Again, I never mentioned Cemu's GX2 implementation wasn't accurate. In fact, I even mentioned it implements already most of the essential parts of "coreinit".
I'm well aware that Decaf is at a much earlier stage than Cemu (which has been in development for 2 years). It's also very natural and common to see shortcuts in areas like graphics, audio and so on when writing an emulator, I wasn't talking about that. Cemu's implementation is actually much closer to the real Wii U libraries.
I'm talking about memory, threading, the interpreter and all that. We did similar mistakes with RPCS3, rushing a bit too fast into implementing core libraries instead of putting more effort into a powerful and enduring code base and we are still paying the price for that.

Anyway, I have nothing against or in favor of any of the emulators. Good luck to both projects.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SMG4 @ SMG4: hi