Hacking RB2 Customs - Proof of Concept

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
Though it does sound like something that'd be said for personal gain in hope of just getting pirated DLC and not actually trying to reason things out, I happen to agree with ccfman. Even if your RawkSD program has preventive measures against getting pirated DLC, it'll be bypassed one way or another. If it stops installation of encrypted dumped DLC files, somebody will find a way to get the charts and have the same songs installed as unencrypted. If you disallow a song by a certain ID or name to be installed, both will be changed. It's just delaying the inevitable. I'm in no support of pirating songs from the online service, but I think that you're only making more work for yourself by creating an anti-piracy method that'll likely end up being bypassed. Being able to fully stop it is a nice thought nonetheless.

Mrkinator

Neil Peart Wannabe
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ccfman2004 said:
Mrkinator said:
ccfman2004 said:
Mrkinator said:
ccfman2004 said:
In my opinion, sooner or later someone will break the encryption, it is just a question of when.
It's really heavy encryption, I really doubt it :\

It has been broken, just ask xorloser. He won't tell anyone in fear of legal issues.
Different Wii Encryption.

Are you sure about that. According to tueidj, the new xbox 360 DLC encryption is the same as RB2's encryption on the Wii.
I retract my earlier statement
tongue.gif

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't really buy into the "people are going to pirate it so why bother stopping them" attitude. Fact is there is not a lot of DLC piracy around now, but if we were complacent our tools would be used for that purpose. If you think people are going to pirate it anyway then why do you care what we do? We're the ones writing the code (actually AerialX is the main coder) so let us worry about how much extra work it is to add the piracy checks.

I'm not sure if xorloser did break the current encryption used on the wii & xbox360 - AFAIK he was threatened with legal action if he continued hacking after ArkTool7 came out which broke the old encryption (not the new style - this was back in october before the current encryption was being used).
At any rate we don't want to end up in the same situation so we're not trying to crack the current encryption.

Fowlerla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To think that harmonix or mtv care about what your intentions are is absurd. They care about the bottom line. If piracy is occurring, they don't care about your morals, they don't care about your intended use, and they don't care about your piracy checks. The bottom line is legality. You place a notice that users are to use this for uncopyrighted content only. And that's all that you can do.

Anyway, if you really want to prevent piracy then only allow people to use the tool after they tell you what song they want to add, when they originally paid for it, and maybe how long they intend to play videogames today. I can respect the desire to prevent it, but not the intention. The whole attempt to control is fascist.

AerialX

Certified Sociopath
Trophies
Website
aaronlindsay.com
XP
Country
Canada
Fowlerla said:
To think that harmonix or mtv care about what your intentions are is absurd. They care about the bottom line. If piracy is occurring, they don't care about your morals, they don't care about your intended use, and they don't care about your piracy checks. The bottom line is legality. You place a notice that users are to use this for uncopyrighted content only. And that's all that you can do.

Anyway, if you really want to prevent piracy then only allow people to use the tool after they tell you what song they want to add, when they originally paid for it, and maybe how long they intend to play videogames today. I can respect the desire to prevent it, but not the intention. The whole attempt to control is fascist.
Personally, I see it one way: I'm making a customs installer tool. If people want to be cheap/lazy/whatever and use it for piracy, I just don't want to be the one to give it to them for free (they don't deserve it
tongue.gif
); end of story. If pirates want DLC, they can work for it by either bypassing the checks the installer does, or by making their own piracy solution.

steviekeyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamemaster1379 said:
steviekeyz said:
honestly tho i just wanna play TTFATF on rock band 2, that would be so hawt! lol.

oh and put my own music in rb2 would be very fun. then show it off to my band.

horray!
I'm hoping that my band and I can do online videos of customs.
tongue.gif
Let's hope I can find a TDWDTG chart for drums and vox!
laugh.gif
But more seriously, we'll probably do some RB1 and RBACDC

that would be cool, but how bout the original TDWDTG.

just having all the songs on one game that the sd card can read is friggin great, i think everyone is sick of switching games...

also Green Grass and High Tides conversion! although its rb1, shouldnt be too tough to convert right?

ExLex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AerialX dont waste your time try to explain the others ... better work in the installer
biggrin.gif

xorloser was suit by do the tools, so if this tool do piracy im sure this project goes to suit too.

i dont wanna this happen...

The principal goal heres is play the songs of others games of RB (RB1, RB AC DC, Track Packs) like the xbox or ps3 users can do ...

Then if you have a song u can do ur custom.

STOP ASKING FOR PIRACY DLC!!!

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Fowlerla said:
The whole attempt to control is fascist.
Fascist? We're giving you the ability to play whatever songs you want in rockband, rather than solely those provided by Harmonix. What we're not going to do is let people loot and pillage the DLC music store. By not providing people with the means to break the law you claim we're controlling them?

zapu

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
tueidj, AerialX: I have one technical question (already asked on irc but didn't get an anwser),

can you install a new ticket/title only for the customs? How should it be named?

or, just got an idea: If I create a new ticket/title and just add proper entries to the savegame (dlc/myticketname/xxx instead of dlc/sZAE/xxx/) will it work?

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ExLex said:
AerialX dont waste your time try to explain the others ... better work in the installer
biggrin.gif

xorloser was suit by do the tools, so if this tool do piracy im sure this project goes to suit too.

i dont wanna this happen...

The principal goal heres is play the songs of others games of RB (RB1, RB AC DC, Track Packs) like the xbox or ps3 users can do ...

Then if you have a song u can do ur custom.

STOP ASKING FOR PIRACY DLC!!!

Couldn't have said it better. Would you really rather be able to pirate DLC and end up with us in a lawsuit, or be able to put your very own song in, and as somebody else said, perhaps showcase your real band?

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
Fowlerla said:
The whole attempt to control is fascist.
Fascist? We're giving you the ability to play whatever songs you want in rockband, rather than solely those provided by Harmonix. What we're not going to do is let people loot and pillage the DLC music store. By not providing people with the means to break the law you claim we're controlling them?

Please let me know if I have misunderstood.

We will be allowed to take whatever songs we have on the computer and be able to play them on Rock Band 2.

Measures will be put into place so that one cannot download songs from the Music Store without first paying for them.

If this is the case, I completely agree.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad to hear it.

One question, though:

Will we be able to load certain encrypted songs, from let's say the Classic Track Pack, if the encryption is the same or will the app simply reject it and only accept unencrypted files?
It would be nice not to have to change discs hen I want to play songs from a different Rock Band game.

Of course one would have to extract the songs themselves first.

I can't wait to see this when it finally comes out.

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't worry, there will be an exporter for RB1, ACDC, and all the track packs out there. So, to answer your question: Yes, you can export the Classic Track Pack.

RoadHog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Probably a stupid question but are we going to be able to extract songs from the Guitar Hero series? Also, is this a crossplatform application? For example if I have DLC from the xbox360 am I going to be able to extract them to the wii?
And one last question. Are things like different instruments, difficulty levels and synced lip movement going to work?

Thank you
smile.gif

pj-uk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been following this thread with much anticipation since I'm itching to get some custom DLC on my wii. Currently I'm playing an imported version of RB2 and cannot access the online content until it gets released in Europe (whenever that comes around!!)
frown.gif

If this actually happens I can't wait to start making some decent Radiohead tracks!

Keep up the good work.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lipsync is still being worked out and people making videos from scratch are going to find there's a steep learning curve. But it's possible if you're willing to put the time into it.

Mrkinator

Neil Peart Wannabe
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It seems like people cant wait to MAKE songs. This is possible already!
biggrin.gif

Start making some, we will hope to get some Friend Code lists made so people with RB1/Customs will be able to jam together.

I'll post a guide to making your own custom songs in a bit, but it is out there if you want to start.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...