Hacking RawkSD

doctorfaust

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AerialX said:
A lot of customs seem to be doing that... I'm just going to have to spend tomorrow investigating why (I wasted a lot of today playing RB1 songs online with people
biggrin.gif
).
Does it crash in practice mode too? If a custom crashes, try replacing it without using the "Fix for Quickplay" option. It won't work in quickplay, but if it then works in practice unfixed, but doesn't work in practice when RawkSD has fixed it, it's my fault for screwing something in the midi up.

It did crash in practice mode. I went back and tried it without "Fix for Quickplay" and it still froze in practice, so the error must be somewhere in my chart. I may hit up the custom gurus on Scorehero for advice, unless you happened to see any glaring errors in the chart. Imported tracks from RB Track Pack 1 work like a charm, so there's definitely no error in general RawkSD implementation on my system. Again, great work.

Another minor bug I noticed, occasionally when making a custom it would process everything fine, but the Custom Info window never popped up. And if I went and tried to edit the Info, I'd get another crash error, and I've have to reprocess the whole deal to get it to work.

honeypa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fubka said:
honeypa said:
When I try to play a guitar hero 3 custom song on rock band 2. It freezes on me during the load screen in quickplay or practice. Everything worked fine up till then, I was even able to hear the preview of the song. Any reason as to why it would crash?
Do the blank drum track option?

Can't do that because I imported the songs from the disc, customs song on GH3.

AerialX

Certified Sociopath
OP
Trophies
Website
aaronlindsay.com
XP
Country
Canada
doctorfaust said:
It did crash in practice mode. I went back and tried it without "Fix for Quickplay" and it still froze in practice, so the error must be somewhere in my chart. I may hit up the custom gurus on Scorehero for advice, unless you happened to see any glaring errors in the chart. Imported tracks from RB Track Pack 1 work like a charm, so there's definitely no error in general RawkSD implementation on my system. Again, great work.
I didn't really check or notice anything... I will look into general custom crashes tomorrow, so we'll see what I can come up with. Feel free to ask anyone else though, because it should not crash in practice unmodified (unless you're playing drums, in which case you absolutely need Add Empty Drum Track checked, or at least a track mapped to drums).

doctorfaust said:
Another minor bug I noticed, occasionally when making a custom it would process everything fine, but the Custom Info window never popped up. And if I went and tried to edit the Info, I'd get another crash error, and I've have to reprocess the whole deal to get it to work.
If you hadn't noticed, you can just use the Replace Files menu / button rather than creating a new custom each time you want to modify the audio/chart.
Anyway, I never noticed that bug before. I'll see about trying to reproduce it tomorrow.

honeypa said:
fubka said:
QUOTE(honeypa @ Jul 3 2009, 11:09 PM)
When I try to play a guitar hero 3 custom song on rock band 2. It freezes on me during the load screen in quickplay or practice. Everything worked fine up till then, I was even able to hear the preview of the song. Any reason as to why it would crash?
Do the blank drum track option?

Can't do that because I imported the songs from the disc, customs song on GH3.
Drums wouldn't be a problem considering that GH3 custom discs don't have drum charts (plus, the drum crash only happens if someone is actually *playing* drums, not if it's just present in the chart). If you want me to look into it, send me the "chart" file in the folder for this custom under the "customs" folder, inside wherever you have RawkSD. I don't know if I'll get a chance tomorrow to look at it (chances are I'll be busy just generally getting customs working properly), but I'll try to see what's going on.

Peache

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Got a problem with RawkSD, when ever i select Update SD Save I get this error.

4027_error.jpg

So i tried ignoring it and run it on the Rawk SD installation on the Wii but unfortunatley when i run Rock Band 2 now it freezes if the SD card is in it

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Net FrameWork 3.0 but that still didn't help the RawkSD error. Hope you can solve the problem
smile.gif

*update* Rock Band 2 will freeze even if the SD card is not in it. Freeze's when it tries to read add on content list at the start before going into the main menu
frown.gif
Can't play Rock Band now

Hiro77

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Hi everyone,
first: thanks for this release!!

then... I have a problem,
I have imported some Rock Band 1 songs to the sd with rawk,
I ran both the patcher and the installer through HBchannel,
but no customs show when I start rock band 2!!

here is my config:
PAL 3.2E with yaosm chip
backup Rock Band 2 (USA of course)
backup Rock Band 1 (PAL)

is it possible that I'm missing some ios? the rawk patcher didn't give me any confirmation when it finished its work,
just went back to the homebrew channel after a lot of ....................................... !

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
dadaus said:
I think i found a way to use RawkSD with backups. Use the old Softchip Rockband loader found in this GBA thread http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=117806 on my Pal Wii it works

Of course it works. You only need an IOS that: 1. has the drivers for the usb instruments, this is achived by using IOS37 as base and 2. is able to load backups. The special Rock Band loader is nothing special, it's just SoftChip.

AerialX

Certified Sociopath
OP
Trophies
Website
aaronlindsay.com
XP
Country
Canada
Peache said:
Got a problem with RawkSD, when ever i select Update SD Save I get this error.

4027_error.jpg

So i tried ignoring it and run it on the Rawk SD installation on the Wii but unfortunatley when i run Rock Band 2 now it freezes if the SD card is in it

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Net FrameWork 3.0 but that still didn't help the RawkSD error. Hope you can solve the problem
smile.gif

*update* Rock Band 2 will freeze even if the SD card is not in it. Freeze's when it tries to read add on content list at the start before going into the main menu
frown.gif
Can't play Rock Band now
Damn, if you hadn't continued I could have gotten you to send me your save so that anyone else with the exact same circumstances with their save as you wouldn't run into this (read: I could have fixed it :/)...
Anyway, unless you had about 8 or more custom characters in your save, I can fix it for you. Just start the install process on your Wii, take your SD card out, and send me your /rawk/rb2/data file from it (then Cancel it on the Wii). I'll fix it for you when I wake up
tongue.gif

QUOTE(Hiro77 @ Jul 4 2009, 05:21 AM) Hi everyone,
first: thanks for this release!!

then... I have a problem,
I have imported some Rock Band 1 songs to the sd with rawk,
I ran both the patcher and the installer through HBchannel,
but no customs show when I start rock band 2!!

here is my config:
PAL 3.2E with yaosm chip
backup Rock Band 2 (USA of course)
backup Rock Band 1 (PAL)

is it possible that I'm missing some ios? the rawk patcher didn't give me any confirmation when it finished its work,
just went back to the homebrew channel after a lot of ....................................... !
You might want to try the patcher again, it's supposed to give you confirmation. Though, if the installer worked without complaining, you might be fine anyway. Are you doing the installation process properly? You have to hit install, and take the SD card out when it's asking you OK - Cancel. Then do Customs -> Update SD Save on the PC (or just install some customs to it), and put it back in the Wii and hit OK.

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow thread
tongue.gif

Anyways, for those questioning a GHWT import, as soon as I can get a chart from a song (stupid parser >_>), I'm going to begin investigating purple notes and relations, as well as hammer-on chords, to see what needs to be moved/removed for RB2 to accept it (because for all I know, the intro to Hot for Teacher will show up as all strum-notes. In the words of Cartman, not kewl).

Rammoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this release
smile.gif
Just wondering, is it possible to use Rock Band PAL as the source for tracks to be used with Rock Band 2 NTSC through rawkSD?

ShakaHeath

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Rammoth said:
Thanks for this release
smile.gif
Just wondering, is it possible to use Rock Band PAL as the source for tracks to be used with Rock Band 2 NTSC through rawkSD?

Answer is: yup of course! I've exported New Wave, Manu Chao and Hier Kommt Alex.

Hiro77

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
AerialX said:
You might want to try the patcher again, it's supposed to give you confirmation. Though, if the installer worked without complaining, you might be fine anyway. Are you doing the installation process properly? You have to hit install, and take the SD card out when it's asking you OK - Cancel. Then do Customs -> Update SD Save on the PC (or just install some customs to it), and put it back in the Wii and hit OK.

Thanks for the reply...
I was doing it wrong, I was installing first on the pc anthen doing the two steps on the wii...
any way, if I do as you describe rawksd installer on the pc crashes!
so I tried to outsmart the installer, getting the installed files from a previous try and putting them manually on the SD,
after properly exiting the Wii app as you described... and it worked! won't get fooled again shows as dlc in quickplay...

BUT! now when I try to play the song it starts loading and then I get a "license of song expired" kind of message, and it goes back to title screen. damn!!
(I read that this issue happens when using uncompatible cIOS, but I'm running the backup through modchip!)

Grim666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys, i hope you may be able to help me,

I have a PAL wii 3.3 and i'm using a backup copy of Rock Band 2.

I can get the customs to show up on the RB2 Menu, but when I go to play them it says, "nameofsong is out of date, try redownloading from the music store" This also stops me using my legally downloaded songs as they are apparantly out of date too
frown.gif

Now, is this purely because I am using a backup version?

I ran the RawkSD Patcher, and an error occurred, with a fairly long error log.

Any help would be immensely helpful.

ShadowChaos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i just ran rawkSD on a different SD card because my main one is full, i go to run RB2, and my file got deleted wtf? now i have to go all the way back to before i got platinum vox

doctorfaust

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured my freezes out - I had the P1/P2 phrases for vocals marked on A10 and Bflat 10, not A9 and B9. Even though I took piano for 16 years, I somehow overlooked that A9 and Bflat9 are BELOW C9, not above it, ha.

So now it works great!

Again, thanks for your fine work on this. Just a couple of questions:

1) Even though I charted a full drum track, my drummer mostly sat around and only did 'special' animations instead of doing the regular playing animation. Is there a way to tweak this?
2) A couple of 'future release' wishes: will we be able to tweak the animations at some point? As cool as having them in are, when my singer stage dives 5 times in the same song it does look weird, ha.
3) Is it known how to add album art into the track info? Will we be able to do that at some point?

Rammoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm also getting that my license is out of date and need to be redownloaded.

3.1 Pal Wii, rev13a, Wiikey using backup disc through the normal channel (no backup loaders).
I was using songs from AC/DC and Track Pack 2.
The guitar hero DLC stuff from OneUP does work, so I don't think rev13a would be the problem, or is it?

Any suggestions?

doctorfaust

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's aliiiiiiiive!

Since I only have PS3 instruments, I can only test out the vocals I charted for now, heh. I should probably buy a Wii guitar but I think all the local stores are probably closed today, since it's 4th of July...

For such a slow paced song the stage dives and the guitar smashing and stuff does look kind of silly, hence why I was asking about animations tweaking, heh. But the fact that it works at all is A++++. I keep saying this but again, thanks for all of your hard work on this project, AerialX/tueidj/Mrkinator/Sfenton.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
I dumped my PAL version of RB1. I then used rawksd to import it, the sd card is prepared, but when I tell it to install, it begins to install before crashing.

Any idea why?

spoonwoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Central African Republic
Alexrose said:
I dumped my PAL version of RB1. I then used rawksd to import it, the sd card is prepared, but when I tell it to install, it begins to install before crashing.

Any idea why?

it sounds like you haven't yet run the patcher. make sure you you get a confirmation that it was patched and it says press home to exit. if it automatically goes back to the hbc then something went wrong. also, after it prepares the SD card THEN you install the customs onto the SD card using your pc. If you have before the SD card was prepared then just update the save file. put the card back in your Wii and press okay.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!