PS4 Firmware 4.50 out, adds Boost Mode, External HDD support, more

Discussion in 'PS4 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by WiiUBricker, Mar 11, 2017.

1. WiiUBricker
    OP

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso

In case GBAtemp is your only news source, here is a sweet news for you alright. Sony has released the much anticipated 4.50 firmware update for the PS4, adding features such as external HDD support, custom wallpaper support and the PS4 Pro exclusive Boost Mode. The Boost Mode is arguably the biggest addition as it reportedly enhances the performance of regular, non-PS4 Pro patched games. Following is a compiled changelog of the new firmware. Be sure to check the official site for more information and pictures. Also be sure to share your experiences with the new Boost Mode here in this thread.

Firmware 4.50 changelog

- External HDD support
    - Boost Mode (PS4 Pro-only)
    - PS VR Improvements
    - Voice Chat for Remote Play
    - Smartphone icon in the friends list to indicate that a friend is logged into PSN via the smartphone app
    - Custom Wallpaper and Profile Color support
    - Share Activity and Activity Feed privacy enhancements
    - Shortcut for uploading and downloading save files to a PS+ account
    - Option to edit screenshot/video in SHAREfactory from Capture Gallery
    - GIFs are now supported in the Activity Feed

:arrow: Source

Last edited by WiiUBricker, Mar 11, 2017 - Reason: I squashed some typos, alright? Did you expect anything else? What do you mean I abuse the edit reason textbox?
    Madridi likes this.
  2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    One thing I dislike is the "we simplified the notification menu, it's now a single page with everything merged! a lot simpler and easier and better !!!"
    no, it's just a mess now, I liked it better when I had the notification separated from the download and upload list :(
    why can't they let users choose what they like?

I would also love an option for PSVR where you can freely move the screen distance instead of choosing "small/medium/large".
    I would like a "small" size but working like the medium option, not "fixed in front of my eyes".

I think it would also be a lot easier to set the eye's distance with +/- instead of taking screenshot of your face...

0.80 is not good, you would have liked 0.85 ? too bad, you have to re-take a screenshot.
    Your brother want to play, but he needs another focus "value", too bad he can't just "set" a value that he knows as good, he has to recalibrate with a picture...

Hey, little by little it's improving, let's hope little options like that will be part of a future update :)
    until then, I'll enjoy all the new features. There were a lot this time!

I didn't test the boost mode yet. I'll let you know, but I often don't see a difference with 30 or 60fps, so I might not be a good candidate to report for this feature.

Last edited by Cyan, Mar 11, 2017
    Madridi and WiiUBricker like this.
  3. Ericzander

Ericzander I used hax to get yellow name

pip Reporter
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    I'm with you on this! It makes things wholly inconvenient. It didn't seem like anything that needed "fixing."

Madridi likes this.
  4. annson24

annson24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2016
    Is there a way to not move my digital games and just copy it in the external hard drive instead? I have two PS4s with the same account in it and I want to copy the content from one console to the other.

5. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    Afaik it's better if you move them. I mean, you can install a game in a PS4 and then move the game to the external HDD (or install it on the HDD from first instance), and then you should be able to use that game in both consoles. Correct me if I am wrong.

6. annson24

annson24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2016
    Yeah but I can only play my digital games with either console only if the external HDD is inserted. What I want to achieve is to play those digital games I have on both consoles at the same time without downloading the games twice.

7. Bedel

Oct 28, 2015
    Oh! I see you there. Then you're right, what a same...

annson24 likes this.
  8. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    who owns a PS4 pro around here ?

i own the second model of the ps4 (all matt finish, not the slim one.)

will the pro only benefit those that have a 4k tv ? and also , the pro functions such as performance/boost modes etc. will only benefit those games that get the updates for that yes ? such as the big titles e.g Uncharted 4/the last of us and so on.

as i am mostly into playing jrpg's i guess that the pro will play them the same (performance wise) as the game would play on a regular ps4 yeah ?

9. Bedel

Oct 28, 2015
    No, boost mode is to increse fps on those games that doesn't have an update for pro afaik.

10. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    wow that sounds nice, so it is a new feature that will benefit pro users.
    hmmmm, makes me wonder whether i should sell my regular ps4 and get a pro instead.

11. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    I've noticed that themes are now limited to the purchaser (even free themes). I had purchased themes for everyone in the household on my account, as they could use them up until this firmware. Now they can't and all my gifts are going unused. Did this incredibly annoying and unnecessary restriction happen with this update?

Last edited by osaka35, Mar 16, 2017
  12. Sick Wario

Sick Wario Club Nintendo

Jul 24, 2006
    NNID: godrugal
    new simplified notification page is a big improvement