[PPOTW] Have you ever backed a Kickstarter project?

Have you ever backed a Kickstarter project?

• Yes

Votes: 175 33.5%
  • No

Votes: 302 57.9%
  • What is Kickstarter?

Votes: 37 7.1%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 8 1.5%

• Total voters
P

pasc

Might No 9 will get my got my Support since Capcom disappointed...

The only other MegaMan Appearance we will ever see is in SSB... it's like his last farewell.

Thug:
Wait... you said similar to MMBN / EXE ? *checks it out*
Hmm.... compared to EXE it .... is bad.
Wanna play some EXE6 online :) ?

Radz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not donated to Kickstarter, but I consequently plan to donate to the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter when we get closer to A. the console stretch goal B. the end of the month so I am sure that I'll have enough funds to cover my donation come October 1st.

w!!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I backed the Two Guys From Andromeda's SpaceVenture. I was a fan of their Space Quest series, so I figured it'd be nice to see what they do after two decades of not working together.

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No.
Have I wanted to? Definately

Torment: Tides of Numenera, Project Eternity, Wasteland 2, Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, Mighty No. 9, and Awesomenauts: Starstorm are all games I want to back, but I have no money. Whenever I do get money I spend them all on already released video games.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, and never will.
People just cant be happy with what they have? Human nature.
There are better causes to spend money on.. better causes to donate for :).

If whoever doesnt have the funding to make/complete certain something.. take out a loan from the bank? Taking the general public's money to complete a game/software o.O profit both ways.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, and never will.

If whoever doesnt have the funding to make/complete certain something.. take out a loan from the bank? Taking the general public's money to complete a game/software o.O profit both ways.

Though I dislike the concept from an investor standpoint (from the me being an investor anyway, cofunding* through crowdfunding is quite OK) I am not sure I can get to the moralistic viewpoint. Better causes, depending upon how you view the world absolutely but given part of this living lark includes free use of your resources then this would be an aspect of that.

Bank loan... though such things have long existed it was not always that it was the default place to go to, somewhat ironically it was often community investment funds and they were not noted for their opposition to the arts, see also patronage (though this is probably closer to angel investment nowadays). Similarly if I was a bank/VC fund I would be most apprehensive about funding a art project (even proper investors are encouraged to really know what they are doing before they sink any money into such things -- rapidly changing and somewhat unpredictable tastes, low volumes of output and narrow income streams all make for a decidedly risky venture).

*not really at directed at ShawnTRods but at various points in the past several traditional developers/publishers have expressed an interest in partially crowdfunding something. For reasons I could not understand (the best I ever got back was something nebulous like "purity"/"it is for the little guy") such moves were often met with hostility. What are the present opinions on the matter?

Edit. Forget the "be happy with what they have" part. Arguably some are but trying to improve your lot in life is usually seen as a positive thing.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Though I dislike the concept from an investor standpoint (from the me being an investor anyway, cofunding* through crowdfunding is quite OK) I am not sure I can get to the moralistic viewpoint. Better causes, depending upon how you view the world absolutely but given part of this living lark includes free use of your resources then this would be an aspect of that.

Bank loan... though such things have long existed it was not always that it was the default place to go to, somewhat ironically it was often community investment funds and they were not noted for their opposition to the arts, see also patronage (though this is probably closer to angel investment nowadays). Similarly if I was a bank/VC fund I would be most apprehensive about funding a art project (even proper investors are encouraged to really know what they are doing before they sink any money into such things -- rapidly changing and somewhat unpredictable tastes, low volumes of output and narrow income streams all make for a decidedly risky venture).

*not really at directed at ShawnTRods but at various points in the past several traditional developers/publishers have expressed an interest in partially crowdfunding something. For reasons I could not understand (the best I ever got back was something nebulous like "purity"/"it is for the little guy") such moves were often met with hostility. What are the present opinions on the matter?

Edit. Forget the "be happy with what they have" part. Arguably some are but trying to improve your lot in life is usually seen as a positive thing.

A game or two wont improve my life in any way :P ya its a good way of killing some time and then?
there are so many games in the market, so many existing and so many coming out.
If people are willing to donate to game developers, why are those same people not giving any money Syria, africa or any other country in need?

but anyway, gaming is a hobby, addiction and life for some lol. Everyone's got different views :)

edit:
if GBAtemp was ever in need of donation, I would gladly donate. Costello, shaun or anyone is getting nothing out of it.
But those game developers are.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A game or two wont improve my life in any way :P ya its a good way of killing some time and then?
If people are willing to donate to game developers, why are those same people not giving any money Syria, africa or any other country in need?

but anyway, gaming is a hobby, addiction and life for some lol. Everyone's got different views :)

edit:
if GBAtemp was ever in need of donation, I would gladly donate. Costello, shaun or anyone is getting nothing out of it.

Because "donating" to a game developer amounts to purchasing a game. Donating money to some oppressive country amounts to giving money to an oppressive regime or ruining the local economy by flooding the market with free food that the local farmers can't compete with which puts them out of business creating even more people dependent on foreign aid.

So yeah, they're completely unrelated.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, and never will.

Kickstarters for games are essentially pre-orders. Typically with little bonuses and getting the game a bit cheaper (though not always).

Your argument is mildly retarded, because spending money on kickstarter is about as frivolous as buying videogames themselves.
Why not donate all of your extra cash to charity? Why buy yourself that fast food you didn't need, or that gadget or videogame you didn't need? Hell why drive a car when you could find more efficient, cheaper needs so you could donate the spare cash. You're selfish and you should feel bad (according to you) because you're not giving all your money to charity when you could be.

Funding a kickstarter project is simply spending money, it's nothing special. Just another way to use your $.

Also it's not pure liquid profit for kickstarter campaigns...I guess it's ignorance on your part for probably never even looking at one.
How it works is people pledge money, and achieve certain "tiers". If it's for a game, pledging the cost of the game will generally get you it, and often extra goodies. You can of course go above and beyond for extra special goodies. Kinda like a collectors edition of a game.
Same with really any other product funded through kickstarter. it's essentially a pre-order.
You're not just throwing money at them, you DO get things in return, and those things cost money.
Mind you, there are some low, low tiers that are pure profit, but those make up a miniscule percentage of a kickstarter campaign.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

edit:

Those game developers aren't. The funding goes into making the game. The cash they get from sales of the game is what nets them profit.

Also when it comes to Syria, Africa or whatever, there's no safe way to do it. You could think you're giving it to whatever charity, but have you ever noticed that nothing has changed over the years?

For example, look at how much money has been donated to like Africa and such just to get them drinking water, clothes, roofs, food... hasn't changed a bit. It's because the charities keep the money.

To say spending money on a kickstarter is dumb, but you would donate to this site is just beyond ridiculous. It's hypocritical.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Because people aren't "donating", they're purchasing the game. You'll notice that very few backers pledge less than the first reward tier, and the most backers pledge amounts that give them the product being funded. In fact, projects that can't deliver their end product to backers tend to fail. People are buying the product the campaign is supposed to finance.
Do you buy games?

Reactions: Minox

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I stumbled upon these today:

http://i.imgur.com/Tp4navF.jpg
http://imgur.com/a/iMi6Z
http://blog.zaheer.me/2012/07/1-iphone-macro-lens.html

Basically you can get a similar magnifying lens from a laser pointer and use it to take macro photos with your phone. Affixing it to the phone is a bit fiddly without the adhesive, but you can make a slide-on holder for it out of foam rubber to hold it in place.

This guy printed his holder on Shapeways, and got the lens for $4 from SurpluShed, so that's another alternative.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.