Hacking POLL: How should we use the wiimote buttons in wiiflow?

The 'B' Button

• The 'B' Button is the only viable 2nd key in two - key quicklaunch combos. It should be reserved for

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • The 'B' Button should be used for opening the source menu, it just intuitively feels like moving bac

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • The 'B' Button should invoke gesture behavior. (current ini option)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This poll is stupid, users should be able to assign behavior to functions as they please.

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

spacepimp

Pathalogical Fantasist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
A couple of thoughts for your perusal before you makes your choice:

The 'Quick Launch' function for 'A+B' could just as easily be invoked with an 'A' double click, or by clicking 'A' off screen, (as you can already).

Now the thing with shortcuts is - it's not saved time if i'm having to look them up :P There' no visual clue when using shortcuts - if a user can't see it, they don't know it's there. Did you know b and up and down arrow scrolls through the first letter of the game titles? A superb function, but with no visual indicator, did you use it? (I thought perhaps we could have the first letter of the title, HUGE, alpha blended, in the far distance.)

It has to be said, for the most part, two button short cuts are a bit fiddly - and rather than be used for functions you need to get around the interface, should probably be reserved for common actions that are a bit clicky to do via our point and click interface i.e. shortcuts.

Some people have clearly been upset at the suggestion that the 'B' button should open the source menu. I suspect this is because a LOT of code has been written for functionality you can currently only get to by using the 'B' button. But this functionality is not lost! It can be just placed elsewhere, there's plenty of room if we stop seeing shortcuts as the only way access stuff. In fact, we have to, according to Fledge68, there's no more room - we've run out of shortcuts! One suggestion to give visual cues to users with adding too much clutter is to open a right click menu, as detailed above, if you have a better idea, check out http://gbatemp.net/t...eautiful-again/ You can also, of course, also click the 'No more idea's' option ;)

You may have guessed, but I don't feel suitably qualified to speak on behalf of shortcuts - if you have any arguments for the shortcut approach, or any comments at all, please add them below.

Your thoughts, as always, are welcome.
SP

spacepimp

Pathalogical Fantasist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
UPDATE: Fledge68 has withdrawn his "pole" :P

I'll do a final count after one full week -

Poll ends 26 June 2012 - 04:49 PM

Edit: Does no one find the "pole" gag even slightly amusing?

spacepimp

Pathalogical Fantasist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You can see Fledges pole in here, :ha:
Let's take a pole and end the decision on how to access the source menu. Your choices are:

1. 'A' on mode/view button icon. I will have to add a option to wiiflow.ini that you will have to set to yes because it will default to no. just like the d-pad option. of course if you set it to yes you will no longer be able to change view's the old/current way. but you will still be able to use the d-pad shortcuts.

2. 'B' on mode/view button icon. Same as #1 except you will no longer be able to switch from real nand to emu nand and back.

3. just pressing 'B' on wiimote. This might be a little tricky to code and might not be possible since the 'B' button is used for so many shortcuts already. you would definitely have to make sure you are not pointing at any buttons. Also I can see people trying to press 'B' on the star but missing and accidentally getting the source menu.

4. leave it where it is as 'B' on home/exit button icon.

I like #2 since I don't ever have any need to switch to real nand. I'll give you guys till Friday to announce your choice. Of course Fix94 and Overjoy have the final decision. If they want to leave it at #4 then that's where it stays.

Were you really hoping for a picture of fledge's pole? Don't pretend you're not disappointed!
These are killling me. :rofl2:

spacepimp

Pathalogical Fantasist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just a quickie to say thanks to those who took part - the results are really informative. If you'd like to have influence what gets submitted to google code - The "Let's Make Wiiflow Spellbinding and Mellifluous " thread has some pending submissions that you can still influence.
http://gbatemp.net/t...ost__p__4285727
Please feel free to add your own ideas.
p.s. Congratulations to everyone who voted for the second option in the first question - 'B' now opens the source menu by default! You can modify an ini to B press on an icon to open the source menu, also.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn