• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[POLL] 2020 U.S. Presidential Election

For whom will/would you vote?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By that logic, Trump should have retired 17 years ago. Like I'm no fan of Biden, but this is a really dumb line of attack regardless. Most US presidents have been hella old.
Yeah, I was gonna point that out, but at the same time I didn't want anyone thinking I was on the wrong side.

Either way, do you really want to vote for somebody who opposed the desegregation of school busses, with a cop for a vice president?

Itsuki235

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend taking the iSideWith Quiz to see which candidate's policy positions you are most in alignment with.

It should go without saying, but please remember to keep your discussions civil.
Interesting quiz thanks for the link. Apparently I am 15-18% Repug, depending upon the issue.

So, voting Biden since I mostly support his policies. I am also expecting him to die to COVID-19 at some point, and having Harris as President would be great.

On a side note, I am also noticing a pattern where a Republican president takes office in an electoral victory where they lost the popular vote (Bush), then they crash the economy. Then a Democrat takes over (Obama), the democrat fixes it.

Then a Republican takes over in an electoral victory where they lost the popular vote again (Trump) and the Rep trashes the economy (again). So now we are at the part where a Dem fixes it again (Biden?), and, If the pattern holds, the next president after this one will be a Republican, and they will crash the economy again, so on the next the next pendulum swing after that, the Dem will fix it again.

Question: If you care about the economy and jobs, why are you people voting for Republicans?

MurraySkull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting quiz thanks for the link. Apparently I am 15-18% Repug, depending upon the issue.

So, voting Biden since I mostly support his policies. I am also expecting him to die to COVID-19 at some point, and having Harris as President would be great.

On a side note, I am also noticing a pattern where a Republican president takes office in an electoral victory where they lost the popular vote (Bush), then they crash the economy. Then a Democrat takes over (Obama), the democrat fixes it.

Then a Republican takes over in an electoral victory where they lost the popular vote again (Trump) and the Rep trashes the economy (again). So now we are at the part where a Dem fixes it again (Biden?), and, If the pattern holds, the next president after this one will be a Republican, and they will crash the economy again, so on the next the next pendulum swing after that, the Dem will fix it again.

Question: If you care about the economy and jobs, why are you people voting for Republicans?
Biden's polices are EVIL and having Harris would be TERRIBLE! Also, dems NEVER fix the economy!

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
having Harris as President would be great.
She's a cop.
Then a Republican takes over in an electoral victory where they lost the popular vote again (Trump) and the Rep trashes the economy (again).
China destroyed our economy. If anything, it was you nimrods keeping Trump from blocking planes to and from from China. That's the reason why we're where we are today.

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JUST CURIOUS, when Russian "presumably interferes" about USA's election was considered RUSSIANGATE or COSPIRACY, what about this Turkish which publicly support Biden?

p.s. SOMEHOW i can't incorporate twitch link properly, can any mod fix it for me?

huh, i wonder if the problem has something to do with the russians being sanctioned by the USA, but the turks aren't. sure is a head scratcher.
Biden's polices are EVIL and having Harris would be TERRIBLE! Also, dems NEVER fix the economy!

oh boy evil!

I can't believe Biden would withhold aid and a proper task force because the states being negatively effected or on the other side of the political spectrum!
Damn that Biden taking $44BN from FEMA and the disaster relief fund right before the Texas and Louisiana get the double barrel of hurricanes!

oh wait, that wasn't Biden at all, this is all happening during Trump's administration.

gotta build that wall, with corpses if we can!

Reactions: IncredulousP

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Either way, do you really want to vote for somebody who opposed the desegregation of school busses, with a cop for a vice president?
Not particularly. As I've said before, Biden and Harris are center-right, while Trump and Pence are far right. Then again, I never thought I'd see any president, Democrat or Republican, attack the post office of all things in my lifetime. That, and the fact that I can't be confident there will ever be any more elections should Trump win a second term, is slowly nudging me toward voting Biden. Not that it really matters, he'll win my state regardless (Colorado).

Voting for the lesser of two evils blows and I'm certainly sick of it, but thanks to the Trump administration's failures in dealing with the coronavirus, moving to a country with an actual democracy and an actual leftist party isn't even an option right now. So step one is getting some stable leadership to convince the rest of the world that all Americans aren't ignorant, science-denying plague rats. After that I can weigh my options and possibly abandon ship before this country decides to go full fash.

Last edited by Xzi,

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not particularly. As I've said before, Biden and Harris are center-right, while Trump and Pence are far right. Then again, I never thought I'd see any president, Democrat or Republican, attack the post office of all things in my lifetime. That, and the fact that I can't be confident there will ever be any more elections should Trump win a second term, is slowly nudging me toward voting Biden. Not that it really matters, he'll win my state regardless (Colorado).

Voting for the lesser of two evils blows and I'm certainly sick of it, but thanks to the Trump administration's failures in dealing with the coronavirus, moving to a country with an actual democracy and an actual leftist party isn't even an option right now. So step one is getting some stable leadership to convince the rest of the world that all Americans aren't ignorant, science-denying plague rats. After that I can weigh my options and possibly abandon ship before this country decides to go full fash.
STOP
BRINGING
UP
THE
CHINA
VIRUS

Trump tried to close down airlines to and from China. You kept him from doing so.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
STOP
BRINGING
UP
THE
CHINA
VIRUS

Trump tried to close down airlines to and from China. You kept him from doing so.
He's the president, I don't have the power to keep him from doing anything. And banning air travel from China was never going to do much anyway, the virus was already inside our borders by the time he was weighing that option. The bottom line is that there was no leadership on the federal level when it came to pandemic response. Trump even inherited a pandemic response team from the Obama administration, and disbanded it practically the moment he took office. He was apparently hoping the virus would respect state lines so that he could blame everything on Democratic governors.

Gonna be around 200,000 dead before the end of this year. If I'm being generous, 50,000 of those couldn't have possibly been prevented. That still leaves the blood of over 150,000 dead Americans on Trump's hands. All he had to do was issue a mask mandate early on and not be in such a rush to reopen everything. Not only would it have saved lives, but the economy would be doing much better now too. But I suppose it's too much to ask that Republicans prioritize the long-term health of the nation over short-term corporate profits.

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's the president, I don't have the power to keep him from doing anything. And banning air travel from China was never going to do much anyway, the virus was already inside our borders by the time he was weighing that option. The bottom line is that there was no leadership on the federal level when it came to pandemic response. Trump even inherited a pandemic response team from the Obama administration, and disbanded it practically the moment he took office. He was apparently hoping the virus would respect state lines so that he could blame everything on Democratic governors.

Gonna be around 200,000 dead before the end of this year. If I'm being generous, 50,000 of those couldn't have possibly been prevented. That still leaves the blood of over 150,000 dead Americans on Trump's hands. All he had to do was issue a mask mandate early on and not be in such a rush to reopen everything. Not only would it have saved lives, but the economy would be doing much better now too. But I suppose it's too much to ask that Republicans prioritize the long-term health of the nation over short-term corporate profits.
Here's the thing: Freedom is far more important than safety. You risk your life by living.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Here's the thing: Freedom is far more important than safety. You risk your life by living.
Totally asinine response. There are risks we can measure and control, and then there's the random chaos of the universe which we have no control over. Coronavirus falls into the former category. The federal government failed in its most basic duty to protect and serve its citizens, not because it was incapable of doing so, but because it simply chose not to. Put another way: Trump has just as much disdain for his own supporters as he does for Democrats.

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
STOP
BRINGING
UP
THE
CHINA
VIRUS

"stop bringing up one of the greatest presidential failures in the history of the united states! it's not fair!"

Trump is in for a fucking doozy when he figures out that people can get reinfected with this virus. By systematically dismantling our avenues of tackling the threat, our economy will be in shambles.

we make up less than 5% of the planets population, and have over 20% of the total coronavirus deaths.

our current administration is a god damn joke.

Last edited by omgcat,

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Totally asinine response. There are risks we can measure and control, and then there's the random chaos of the universe which we have no control over. Coronavirus falls into the former category. The federal government failed in its most basic duty to protect and serve its citizens, not because it was incapable of doing so, but because it simply chose not to. Put another way: Trump has just as much disdain for his own supporters as he does for Democrats.
Let's think about it this way. Two options.
1. Mandate masks, triggering humanity's natural instinct to get away with things they shouldn't do and causing people to take off their masks at any opportunity they get.
2. Freedom.

Either way, I'm not wearing one. No lives can be saved.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Let's think about it this way. Two options.
1. Mandate masks, triggering humanity's natural instinct to get away with things they shouldn't do and causing people to take off their masks at any opportunity they get.
2. Freedom.

Either way, I'm not wearing one. No lives can be saved.
Frankly I think you're full of it. If Trump had ordered an extended quarantine followed by a mask mandate, you and 95% of Republicans would've adhered to those rules and regulations. If there's one thing the party is good at, it's falling in line, especially since it became a cult of personality centered around one individual's every whim.

Hypothetically though, let's say he did these things and you rebelled against them. Lives would still be saved and the economy would still be in better shape at this point, because A. there'd be nowhere for you to go and nothing for you to do during quarantine, and B. you'd immediately be booted out of any business in any state for refusing to wear a mask. Without the backing of a major political party, you'd be in a very tiny minority of selfish assclowns.

Itsuki235

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
China destroyed our economy. If anything, it was you nimrods keeping Trump from blocking planes to and from from China. That's the reason why we're where we are today.
Actually, how we got here is the deregulation policies that go back to Reagan and his trickle-down economics that focuses on making sure the 0.1% are very very well taken care of such that they profit while the workers do not. That is why worker's wages rose from the Great Depression up to his presidency and have stagnated ever since.

His deregulation policies, and especially the Republicans pushing for them since, has caused a very predictable effect of destabilizing the economy and culminated in the repeal of FDR's Glass-Steagall Act which was a cornerstone of the New Deal. Repealing that very predictably caused a bubble + crash, and we now know it as the 2008 housing crisis which destroyed an incalculable amount of existing wealth by depriving working families of their homes. The ramifications of this are still being felt. The banks were bailed out, so make sure the 0.01% were taken care of right away, while the treasury secretary slow-walked financial aid for people who now had mortgages with abusive terms, like balloon payments.

After that, Obama passed the Dodd-Frank Act, basically reinstating Glass-Steagall, the Affordable Care Act aka "Obamacare", which among other things, covers people with preexisting conditions, and created the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to advocate for consumer rights.

Predictably, Republicans and the Republican President have done their best to undo Dodd-Frank, I guess in order to basically guarantee the subsequent economic downturn in the business cycle would be comparable to the Great Depression? and turned the CFPB into a paper tiger. They have also worked very hard to take away health coverage from millions of Americans, even in the middle of a pandemic, making sure that millions will have to file for bankruptcy and loose all wealth they had built up since 2008. Makes sense no? Kick the working people when they are down. That is the motto of Republicans these days.

Liberals/Leftists pass sane regulation, and social safety net programs, then the conservative right removes them and tries to get the stock market up the highest it will go. while ignoring the fact that the stock market does not represent the majority of Americans. Then on the downturn jobs and wealth get destroyed when it crashes, and now a Democrat (Biden) has to pick up the pieces.

THAT is how we arrived where we are today, not some conspiracy theory about democrats and planes from China. Perhaps you would not fall prey so much conspiratorial thinking if you knew a little bit about history and had reasonable standards of evidence. What are the sayings again? Fool me once, shame on you, but fool me twice, then shame on me, and those who do not know history are bound to repeat it.

How do you know you are not being mislead by the Republicans pushing trickle-down Reaganomics if you don't even understand the practical consequences of such policies on the economy in the long run? We didn't know the consequences in the 80s, but we do now, and that means:

COVID-19 is the best possible thing to have happened to Republicans overall, because now the blame gets shifted from the economic collapse that was inevitable under the deregulation policies, onto some extraneous factor that they don't have to get blamed for causing, despite such a hard crash being inevitable due to them being in power.

If you care about this country, then explain to me what is so patriotic about making sure wealth ends up in the hands of the very few? Why does being an "American" mean you have to create an economic oligarcy? Why should corporations be able to record record profits while the working class wonders if we will make enough to pay the rent or be evicted this month? Why can't being caring about one's country mean to acknowledge one has made a mistake (trickle-down economics) and then work to fix that?

How can you create a better country for everyone if the party you vote for is pushing for policies that are fundamentally about squeezing working people in order to feed more wealth to the 0.1%? That is the goal of the Republican party, and it has been since Reagan.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Last edited by Itsuki235,

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, how we got here is the deregulation policies that go back to Reagan and his trickle-down economics that focuses on making sure the 0.1% are very very well taken care of such that they profit while the workers do not. That is why worker's wages rose from the Great Depression up to his presidency and have stagnated ever since.

His deregulation policies, and especially the Republicans pushing for them since, has caused a very predictable effect of destabilizing the economy and culminated in the repeal of FDR's Glass-Steagall Act which was a cornerstone of the New Deal. Repealing that very predictably caused a bubble + crash, and we now know it as the 2008 housing crisis which destroyed an incalculable amount of existing wealth by depriving working families of their homes. The ramifications of this are still being felt. Predictably, Bush's administration made sure the banks were bailed out so make sure the 0.01% were taken care of, while slow-walking financial aid for people who now had mortgages with abusive terms, like balloon payments.

After that, Obama passed the Dodd-Frank Act, basically reinstating Glass-Steagall, the Affordable Care Act aka "Obamacare", which among other things, covers people with preexisting conditions, and created the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to advocate for consumer rights.

Predictably, Republicans and the Republican President have done their best to undo Dodd-Frank, I guess in order to basically guarantee the subsequent economic downturn in the business cycle would be comparable to the Great Depression? and turned the CFPB into a paper tiger. They have also worked very hard to take away health coverage from millions of Americans, even in the middle of a pandemic, making sure that millions will have to file for bankruptcy and loose all wealth they had built up since 2008. Makes sense no? Kick the working people when they are down. That is the motto of Republicans these days.

Liberals/Leftists pass sane regulation/social safety net programs, The conservative right removes them and try to get the stock market up the highest it will go, ignoring the fact that the stock market does not represent the majority of Americans. Then on the downturn jobs and wealth get destroyed when it crashes, and now a Democrat (Biden) has to pick up the pieces.

THAT is how we arrived where we are today, not some conspiracy theory about democrats and planes from China. Perhaps you would not fall prey so much conspiratorial thinking if you knew a little bit about history and had reasonable standards of evidence. What are the sayings again? Fool me once, shame on you, but fool me twice, then shame on me, and those who do not know history are bound to repeat it.

How do you know you are not being mislead by the Republicans pushing trickle-down Reaganomics if you don't even understand the practical consequences of such policies on the economy in the long run? We didn't know the consequences in the 80s, but we do now, and that means:

COVID-19 is the best possible thing to have happened to Republicans overall, because now the blame gets shifted from the economic collapse that was inevitable under the deregulation policies, onto some extraneous factor that they don't have to get blamed for causing, despite such a hard crash being inevitable due to them being in power.

If you care about this country, then explain to me what is so patriotic about making sure wealth ends up in the hands of the very few? Why does being an "American" mean you have to create an economic oligarcy? Why should corporations be able to record record profits while the working class wonders if we will make enough to pay the rent or be evicted this month? Why can't being caring about one's country mean to acknowledge one has made a mistake (trickle-down economics) and then work to fix that?

How can you create a better country for everyone if the party you vote for is pushing for policies that are fundamentally about squeezing working people in order to feed more wealth to the 0.1%? That is the goal of the Republican party, and it has been since Reagan.

View attachment 223075
So we should punish the rich for being smart with their money.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So we should punish the rich for being smart with their money.
No, we should pay workers in accordance with the value that their labor produces. At which point it wouldn't be possible to become that rich at all, because nobody "earns" millions or billions of dollars, they siphon it off from the blood, sweat, and tears of other people.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.