PocketNES, Goomba, Cologne, and SMSAdvance sram and exit patched *UPDATED

Discussion in 'GBA - Emulation' started by nibbles27, Aug 29, 2016.

1. nibbles27
    OP

nibbles27 Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2008
    Canada
    EZ-Flash 4 SRAM & Exit Patched *Updated 8-29-16
    ----------------------------------------

Updated collection of Loopy/FluBBa/Dwedit emulators, sram and exit patched for the EZ-Flash 4.

* Don't use the EZ Flash client to patch an included emulator or a resulting emulator+rom
    compilation. A major point of this collection is to avoid having to constantly patch.
    * Exit patching was manually done so that the L+R Exit menu option would function in all
    emulators. To be very clear, the exit patch does *not* enable L+U+A+B. Nor does it
    attempt to apply a Start+Select+A+B reset patch. It is meant solely to allow the Exit
    menu option to function properly.

NEW Notes
    ---------

* Exit patching came included in newer versions of emu's / others used reset_ez4 files.
    * SRAM patching was done through cory1492's v2 patcher (EZ4-64-2)
    * gbata7 was used to fix the rom header (emu's crashed on some firmwares without fix)

Included Files
    --------------

* Updated Emulators sram and exit patched in following folders

/cologne08/ Cologne v0.8, sram and exit patched & fixed header
    /goombapaletted240/ Goomba Paletted v2.40 (Kuwanger's Fork), patched & fixed header
    /goombacolor2014/ Goomba Color 12-14-2014, patched & fixed header
    /pocketnes2013/ PocketNES 7-1-2013 (Dwedit's Fork), patched & fixed header
    /smsadvance250/ SMSAdvance v2.5, sram and exit patched & fixed header

*.sav Empty 64K save files, to be copied and rename into /saver/ for each .gba file

* Tools folder includes menu makers and tools used for patching emulators for saving

/tools/

CologneBin.zip Cologne Menu Maker
    goombafront.zip Goomba/Goomba Color Menu Maker
    pnesmmw12a.zip PocketNES Menu Maker
    SMSAdvanceBin.zip SMSAdvance Menu Maker

EZ4-64-2.zip cory1492's v2 EZ-IV SRAM 64k Patcher
    gbata7a-en.zip GBA Tool Advance (used to fix headers/ commonly used to remove rom intros)

Included Files From Old Exit Patched
    ------------------------------------

cologne_compile.py A simple python program to create a .gba file from cologne,
    a Coleco bios, and Coleco rom
    pocketnes_compile.py A simple python program to create a .gba file from pocketnes and an NES ROM
    ggadvance_compile.py A simple python program to create a .gba file from smsadvance and a GG ROM
    smsadvance_compile.py A simple python program to create a .gba file from smsadvance and a SMS ROM
    reset_ez4.bin Binary to reset into ez4 loader
    reset_ez4.s Code to reset into ez4 loader; copies itself into ewram before running
    reset_ez4-2.bin Binary to reset into ez4 loader
    reset_ez4-2.s Code to reset into ez4 loader; switches from arm to thumb and runs in-place
    visoly.s Visoly.s, ripped from an older version of pocketnes

Attached Files:

Last edited by nibbles27, Aug 31, 2016
    Cartoni, MrHuu, Maxbeta and 2 others like this.
  2. Maxbeta

Maxbeta GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2014
    United States
    Okay so just to be on the safe side of things...with these newly updated patched versions I no longer have to use EZ Client?
    I can just drag and drop my compiled goomba.gba rom files and drag and drop them to the card?

3. nibbles27
    OP

nibbles27 Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2008
    Canada
    Yes all patching done before hand just make a compilation and copy to card and copy renamed save file to /saver/ directory
    Sorry for the late response

4. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Regular

Jul 26, 2006
    Goomba Paletted v2.40 if you want some info on fiddling with palettes/borders. Sorry about never updating my sram/exit patched collection. By the time I got around to the effort, the scene was mostly dead. Otherwise most the patching could have been integrated into the official releases/unofficial official forks (like my PocketNES fork (only useful if you're willing to trade off ROM compression for slightly lower compatibility)).

Out of curiosity, do you know the version differences? I want to say Cologne, Goomba Color, and PocketNES are the ones that were updated. But I ended up forking near every emulator to add in ROM compression, so it might be all of them. :/

5. nibbles27
    OP

nibbles27 Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2008
    Canada
    Actually all of them were updated

Difference from old exit patched:

Cologne v0.7
    updated to Cologne v0.8 (Flubba)
    Goomba v2.30
    updated to Goomba Paletted v2.40 (Kuwanger's Fork)
    Goomba Color 3-31-08
    updated to Goomba Color 12-14-2014 (Dwedit's Fork)
    PocketNES 3-18-08
    updated to PocketNES 7-1-2013 (Dwedit's Fork)
    SMSAdvance v2.4
    updated to SMSAdvance v2.5 (Flubba)

Pretty sure these are the latest

Goomba Paletted
    Goomba Color
    PocketNES

All came exit patched already but were saving 8kb sram instead of 64kb sram
    So cory1492's EZ4-64-2 tool corrected this save issue.

Also gbata7 fixed the headers on all to fix issues with some EZ4 Firmwares.

Added exit patch using reset_ez4 bin files to :

Cologne
    SMSAdvance

And then patched the same as above

This should save ppl alot of trouble instead of having to go through these steps.

Ya i just used your fork of Goomba with custom palette support find it works better the rest are Flubba and Dwedit's since i wasn't specifically looking for compression compared to compatabilty and had forgoten about your fork of SMS Advance etc.

Last edited by nibbles27, Jan 17, 2017
  6. MrHuu

MrHuu GBAtemp Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    Netherlands
    Thank you for this, I've been struggling with this ever since.

7. libertyernie

libertyernie Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2011
    United States
    Is anyone else having problems with color palettes in SMSAdvance?
    This is from an emulator but it happens on my Micro too.

[​IMG]

8. nibbles27
    OP

nibbles27 Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2008
    Canada
    Added exit patch using reset_ez4 bin files to :

Cologne
    SMSAdvance

This might have caused problems not sure since they were not compiled i just edited the reset_ez4.bin file in place where the old ones were on the previous versions, I didn`t have time to thoroughly test and might have possibly broken compatability with some games although exit option on these was working perfectly.

If experiencing problems with these two use the old versions.

For reference here is the old version:

Cologne v0.7 instead of Cologne v0.8 (Flubba)
    SMSAdvance v2.4
    instead of SMSAdvance v2.5 (Flubba)

Attached Files:

Last edited by nibbles27, May 11, 2017
  9. nibbles27
    OP

nibbles27 Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2008
    Canada
    I dont seem to have the same problem on either Emulator or NDS can anyone confirm the state of this so i can update the download if needed I'm pretty sure these two are functioning as should!

EDIT: Actually im almost positive my two updated ones with the reset_ez4.bin are functioning perfectly they both line up evenly in a hex editor compared to the older versions and tested fine. If im wrong please post results though i think im not

*(link stays the same)

Last edited by nibbles27, May 11, 2017
  10. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Regular

Jul 26, 2006
    Use smsadvance_compile.py for SMS. Use ggadvance_compile.py for GG. Both are near identical hardware (AFAIK) so SMSAdvance has a flag header to differentiate them to use slightly different screen size/palettes.

11. Bart Lemming

Bart Lemming Gēmu Bōi mikuro

Feb 25, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Mute City
    Thanks for sharing your work here guys. I really appreciate that there's still life in the ol' GBA scene. :)

12. dai_uk

dai_uk Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2007
    Thanks for posting these great to have the GBA and ez flash scene still updating - always the best handheld for the summer sun

13. pablovs98

pablovs98 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2017
    Costa Rica
    Hi! I had no problems with the emulators when I had the 1.78 software on my EZ Flash, but since they added the automatic save patch on the newer releases, it looks like the card automatically avoids the SRAM patch (the savestates are stored as 8 KB files instead of 64 KB), causing the save functions to work incorrectly. Is there a solution for this? Thanks in advance!

14. Cartoni

Cartoni Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2017
    Netherlands
    Hi @nibbles27 and @kuwanger ,

First of all, I would like to say that after reading all your posts on different fora, I am amazed how much effort you put into this! Really amazing, tnx :D

Therefore, I was interested if the version of these emulators posted on here are still compliant with the current version of the EZ flash (IV microSD) and software (V. 2.030)? Or is there already an update available that I missed somewhere?

Regards

Last edited by Cartoni, Oct 23, 2017
  15. Coto

Coto GBAtemp Addict

Jun 4, 2010
    Chile
    Yeah thank you fo rthe work here guys, I have just read this topic now

16. nibbles27
    OP

nibbles27 Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2008
    Canada
    Sorry for the late reply.
    Ya in regards to your posts, im guessing that the new EZ4 firmware that does sram patch is probably changing the header to use 8kb of sram instead of telling the cart to use the full 64kb which is what these patches were made for to fix this.
    This was usually the problem with the EZ4 client in the way it patched the emu and changed the header to tell it to use the more common 8kb's of save.

I patched these in the regards that you were supposed to avoid the EZ4 client.
    The tools i used fixed the header so it was telling the cart to use the full amount of save space.

I'm not sure what the workaround would be but im pretty sure that the new firmware is going to keep changing the header to the old style and use 8kb's of space.

The exit patch should still work. I haven't upgraded my firmware yet as i have heard of longer load times and do not have time to test it!
    For now im using the old firmware and this client when i need it for games (not for the Emu's though)

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ezgba-v0-1-0a-an-ez4-compatible-rom-patcher.395464/

I will keep an eye out, if I have time, to see what may be a proper workaround.

Last edited by nibbles27, Nov 6, 2017
    pablovs98 likes this.