PlayStation officially prevents stacking PS+, adds new rules for existing subscribers

jkkkk.png

PlayStation is cracking down on how PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now works for existing subscribers. Those hoping to stock up and stack their subscription have found that Sony is preventing them from doing so--and now they're taking even further measures to stop that. If you have a pre-existing subscription to either PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now, you can't extend it, even if you purchase prepaid cards from retailers.

However, starting in June, they'll begin allowing subscribers to redeem their prepaid cards again, with a major caveat; if you want PlayStation Plus Premium--the highest-paid tier--it won't give you an equal amount of months as to what you would normally get. For example, if you redeem a PlayStation Now 12 (365 days) month prepaid card on PSN, you will only get 6 months (183) days of service of PlayStation Plus Premium. If you want the full 365 days of service, you'll have to downgrade to the lowest tier, PlayStation Plus Essential.

The full conversion chart, provided by Sony, is shown below, which is their attempt at trying to clear up confusion regarding the whole convoluted affair. The updated FAQ featuring the graph can be seen at the very bottom of the official PS Plus page.

sony_playstation_plus_voucher_conversion_chart.jpeg

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
@Stone_Wings

Sorry but you are indeed comparing PsPlus with a totally different product.

If you dont know what Xbox Game Pass is, then you obviously need to google it.

And writing a wall of text doesnt mean you are right, because you arent, stop being a fanboy of Sony.

I dont even have an xbox and know the Xbox Game Pass is a great service, the price vs what they are delivering is amazing for consumers.

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Stone_Wings

Sorry but you are indeed comparing PsPlus with a totally different product.

If you dont know what Xbox Game Pass is, then you obviously need to google it.

And writing a wall of text doesnt mean you are right, because you arent, stop being a fanboy of Sony.

I dont even have an xbox and know the Xbox Game Pass is a great service, the price vs what they are delivering is amazing for consumers.

I'll just go over this laughable tripe point by point.

- I am comparing Game Pass Ultimate with PS Plus Premium. You're right. They are in fact a totally different product. What a fucking genius you are. LMFAO! So what do you want? A comparison between Game Pass and.... Game Pass? Also, here's a small bit of, but VERY important information. I have never said Game Pass sucks, that its a bad service, or anything of the sort. So why are you (or anyone else) even trying to argue that pont with me? I It's the incessant and hypocritical "FUCK SONY" fanboy garbage I take issue with, not Game Pass. I LIKE Game Pass.

- You obviosuly didn't read my posts well becasue I have a Series X, PS5, Switch, and subscribe to all of their perspective servies except the Nintendo Add-on pack.. "If you dont know what Xbox Game Pass is, then you obviously need to google it.", said the person who doesn't even have an Xbox. LMFAO! I mean. :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: Do you even think for a SECOND before you post nonsense like that? Please do explain how I own an Xbox, paid to stack Game Pass until March 2024, yet am a Sony fanboy. Know who the fanboy is? The one defending things they don't even own while bashing something else they also don't own.

- You're right!!! Writing a wall of text doesn't make a person right (or wrong), but it allows one to present their case much better than your pathetic and simplistic attempts did. Guess what? Writing posts with zero amount of supporting evidence also doesn't mean you are right. ESPECIALLY after stating you don't even have an Xbox or Game Pass yourself. Sorry you have poor communication skills, but I'm not one of those people that just responds with "Yeah" after reading a well thought out txt that someone took the time to write and send to me. Don't like the wall? Don't read it. No skin off my back. But imo I'd much rather read someones thought out debate on a matter instead of something like a "Nice wall! You're dumb! You're wrong!" I mean. Do you have anything to actually support your statements, or is "You're wrong cuz I Googled it!!!" about all you have? Complaining about having to read is like complaiing that you have to actually listen to somone in person. My text isn't the issue, your communication skills, debating skills, and attention span are.

- Game Pass is great service. However, the price is MORE than Sonys unless you're only buying a single month. If you buy a year, Game Pass is $60 more expensive and has HALF the the amount of titles PS Plus Platinum will. Yeah. LEAPS AND BOUNDS superior to Sonys offering. LOL! Where did you learn your math skills? And how the hell do you even know what you're talking about. You don't seem to have an Xbox OR PS5. And from what I can gather, you don't even have Game Pass or PS Now for PC either. Yet here you are going off about things you don't even own with "But but but!!! You're wrong cuz I watched it on Google!!!!". :rofl2:

tl;dr: "Nice wall of text, but you're wrong. I admit I have absolutely ZERO personal experience with these things but I did see a Google video once, and you're wrong!!!" -Hero-Link

SONY is doing a VERY BAD move, they won't COMPETE with Xbox Game Pass like that :rofl2:
:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

It's Game Pass that's competing with PS Plus. Game Pass Subscribers = 25 Million. PS Plus Subscribers = 48 Million. :rofl2:
:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

----

I will continue to sub to both but believe Sony will have an even larger lead after the new tiers begin. That doesn't mean I think Game Pass sucks like some people are oddly interpreting my comments as. I believe both offer different, but good things. I don't understand the hate for Sonys offering. PS Plus Premium costs less than Game Pass Ultimate for terms longer than one month, has around double the amount of titles, PS exclusives, etc. Yeah, such a horrible, horrible, horrible service. My point in all of these comments I make is not that Game Pass sucks, or that Sonys offering is better, but rather that Sonys offering isn't garbage as is being suggested by others & giving my reasons as to why I feel that way. I'm not dogging Game Pass or Xbox, at all.

Last edited by Stone_Wings,

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, Netflix is trying to get themselves out of a hole they dug.
I'm not entirely sure of all the timing, but I heard they were losing subscribers before they announced that, and then afterwards their subscriber count plummeted faster. Most recently heard they were cancelling various projects and laying off employees. If it wasn't for the fact someone else in my family uses my subscription to unwind after a crappy day, I would cancel mine. Netflix looks like it's becoming the Stadia of shows.

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not entirely sure of all the timing, but I heard they were losing subscribers before they announced that, and then afterwards their subscriber count plummeted faster. Most recently heard they were cancelling various projects and laying off employees. If it wasn't for the fact someone else in my family uses my subscription to unwind after a crappy day, I would cancel mine. Netflix looks like it's becoming the Stadia of shows.

To each their own. I find PLENTY of things to watch on Netflix. My watch list is so big I'll never get through it before half of it gets removed and replaced with other things. Hulu is the one that's kinda garbage for me. They do shit like have season 1 of a series, skip season 2, but have season 3. Or they'll for whatever weird reason be missing episodes within seasons. Or have a a random season of a series like season 4, but season 1-3 and 5 is missing. Their originals are also pretty terrible compared to Netflix's. But yeah, if a person isn't using something enough to justify the cost there's not much reason to keep it. :)

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... you do realize that PS plus is the playstation xbox live gold equivalent, right? wouldn't it make more sense to compare to Xbox live subs?

I've already stated that my comparisons are between Game Pass and the upcoming PS tiers. So no, it wouldn't make more sense at all. At least not to me. If it makes more sense to you, that's fine. I don't believe that when the new tiers start, all of a sudden the numbers are going to reverse or something of that nature. If I remember, I'll come back and post numbers for Game Pass vs PS Plus Extra/Premium once they start but I can tell you the results aren't changing. PS isn't going to suddenly lose over 20 million subscribers and Game Pass isn't suddenly going to gain 20 million more. :)

Last edited by Stone_Wings,

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This sort of crap will only change when the older out-of-touch generation of execs get replaced by younger ones. They still believe that people should feel privileged to use their amazing products, instead of realising *they* should be respectful of their loyal customer base.
This is call market stratification. The principal is very sound. It simply says make stratification so people pay as much as they are willing to pay. Never let people who are willing to pay more pay less. In every market there are different bucket of people. Customer base range from those who want your service very much and those who don't think your service is of much value. You want to try to make those who want your service very much pay a lot of money while giving discount to those who don't really want your service. Those who would stack belongs to the want your service very much category and you want to make them pay more. It's very much a no-brainer to stop the stackers.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what is the best you can do? Subscribe to PS now for a year one day before 13 June? So you kind of get one year of PlayStation Plus Premium for the price of PlayStation Plus Essential if you are not an existing customer?

Last edited by TomSwitch,

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be fair there is no perfect solution for this.

On one hand it sucks you can't stack stuff and get the same deal as before for cheaper. On the other hand in a few months everyone that wants the new plus with games has to pay the new price anyway. So those people would also feel ripped of since if they stacked a few years a few months back they would have gotten a way better deal.

There will always be someone getting the short end of the stick. Imo opinion Sony is trying to make it feel more equal. Problem with that is they did this measurement waaaaaaay to late. Should have been in place at the exact date they announced said new packs and prices.

PS: Not trying to defend any side (Sony/Consumer), just my train of thoughts. I myself will be sticking to basic psplus since my PS1/PS2/PS3 still work perfectly fine.

Reactions: Stone_Wings

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've already stated that my comparisons are between Game Pass and the upcoming PS tiers. So no, it wouldn't make more sense at all. At least not to me. If it makes more sense to you, that's fine. I don't believe that when the new tiers start, all of a sudden the numbers are going to reverse or something of that nature. If I remember, I'll come back and post numbers for Game Pass vs PS Plus Extra/Premium once they start but I can tell you the results aren't changing. PS isn't going to suddenly lose over 20 million subscribers and Game Pass isn't suddenly going to gain 20 million more. :)
Hey, I'm with you on all the points you've raised... but I think it's more than optimistic to think that two thirds of the existing PS Plus user base will spring for the top tier of the new service. I'd predict that, other than the percentage that's already using PS+ and Now, maybe 10% of the users that only have a current PS+ subscription will upgrade.
I've said it elsewhere, but I'd prefer a lower "basic" tier that just provides me with cloud storage and online play. Free games I'll never play and access to games I already own for the systems they originally released on isn't going to entice me into a 'better' service. And the less I play online the less likely I am to renew my subscription - that's why I haven't renewed my XB Gold in 10 years.

Reactions: Stone_Wings

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-