Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Then the probable explanation is the gate somehow got charged.

What if the gate got charged when you test the G and S using multimeter. Those multimeter give the G and S the voltage it needed to open. I have spare IR8342 in somewhere, gonna try this scenario. If it really the scenario then the resistor is a advisable to avoid this kind of mistakes.

Takezo-San

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles
Then the probable explanation is the gate somehow got charged.

What if the gate got charged when you test the G and S using multimeter. Those multimeter give the G and S the voltage it needed to open. I have spare IR8342 in somewhere, gonna try this scenario. If it really the scenario then the resistor is a advisable to avoid this kind of mistakes.
Thats what i think happened too. Your right, maybe a resistor is needed because if i remember correctly, the hwfly adaptors have two mosfets with a couple of resistors on the adaptor too. Not just one or worse, none like my case.

Reactions: Danook28

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Thats what i think happened too. Your right, maybe a resistor is needed because if i remember correctly, the hwfly adaptors have two mosfets with a couple of resistors on the adaptor too. Not just one or worse, none like my case.
Have tried the IR8342 without connecting it to others. It didn't happened.
Might be happened when its connected to the picofly and apu.
Maybe theres a capacitance that enough to power up the gate.

To be safe, for now onward, add pulldown resistor.

Takezo-San

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles
Have tried the IR8342 without connecting it to others. It didn't happened.
Might be happened when its connected to the picofly and apu.
Maybe theres a capacitance that enough to power up the gate.

To be safe, for now onward, add pulldown resistor.
Yep, just thinking about it more and some research on mosfets. Maybe closing the gate or giving no power sort of turned it on in an inverse way. I don't know. need more knowledge about these damn things. Just so many types mosfets/transistors and mechanisms of action. Anyway, thanks for the input.

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Yep, just thinking about it more and some research on mosfets. Maybe closing the gate or giving no power sort of turned it on in an inverse way. I don't know. need more knowledge about these damn things. Just so many types mosfets/transistors and mechanisms of action. Anyway, thanks for the input.
Those gate could be seen as a capacitor.
So if theres charge stored in the gate, it will 'open' the VDS.
Simply discharge it using pull down is enough.

I just didn't think that the gate open (Ids flows) could make the power circuit component blows up, since when the mosfets working it do that exact thing. It doesn't make a sense, for me. More logical if the mosfet blows up.
Thats why i think its not necessary to add resistor.

But it will be a different story if somehow the mosfet broken and VDS short circuited (no resistance at all), then it will increase the current value enough to blows other component the currents flows.

But nevertheless the APU should be safe, since no current flows through it.

Last edited by abal1000x,

agus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
picofly is the best. 🫨
Post automatically merged:

can i get a picture. what about the pi pico (green rp2040) cut so it's smaller

can i get a picture. what about the pi pico (green rp2040) cut so it's smaller

Last edited by agus,

lightninjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I launched ubuntu on my switch LITE and everything works for me, but there is one glitch:
in any program, for example, in a bowser has automatic scrolling down
this happens on two different consoles
Possible you have joycon drift that needs to be calibrated out/Joycon removed?

Warbeast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I guess it's best to add the 1k resistor to the mosfet itself but for us that already have the mosfet wired and fixed with resin will adding a 1k resistor as close to the mosfet as possible between cpu gate and ground help?
My cpu wire runs out under the soc shield so adding a 1k between the ground shield and the cpu wire would save removing the heatsink and mosfet..

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I guess it's best to add the 1k resistor to the mosfet itself but for us that already have the mosfet wired and fixed with resin will adding a 1k resistor as close to the mosfet as possible between cpu gate and ground help?
My cpu wire runs out under the soc shield so adding a 1k between the ground shield and the cpu wire would save removing the heatsink and mosfet..
Add smd resistor in the picofly CPU pin to ground might help.

Something like this. But not yet confirmed, i currently use hwfly flex cable.
photo_6291976078046115128_y.jpg

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
To you and all the other people who expect instantaneous updates on a guide which was made for free, on my time that I spend after work, for an update that is still LARGELY BEING TESTED, I find it ridiculous that you're incapable of reading the exact updated info that I am going to paste into my guide, FROM THE DEV'S POST HIMSELF where you should be downloading the latest Alpha firmwares ANYWAY.

I digress, I was in the process of updating the guide, but I think I'm going to spend some time smoking a couple bowls and evaluating how much I actually enjoy helping entitled folks who can't help themselves.

Note: this post is not meant for all the appreciative people who have used my guide to LEARN how to do this process, instead of just expecting everything to be handed to them on a platter. To you, ROCK ON, and keep doing magnificent mods.
Me every time I do tech support, why did I get into this?

Because they apparently aren't public and only "suppliers" have them... what do you expect?
see this

It's the classic

Cheap + fast = lower quality work

Fast + good = expensive

Good + cheap = not happening anytime soon
My latest work begs to differ on that last option.... as for speed that depends how fast I get parts.... most customer stuff if I already have the parts are sub 24 hours turn around for cheaper than what EBGames/Gamestop does, especially considering I work full time

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005528772252.html

Seems they actually put them on their store now. Plus all previous chips. Except I can't find the Instinct-NX
I ordered mine a day or two before they went awol

Reactions: EAGLE-1

EAGLE-1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
If you could to afford hwfly, their hw design is actually better. So for someone who love better hw with more cost, then go for it. The flex cable include VDD from APU, which the voltage might be monitored in the rp2040, they might modify the firmware to include those feature though.

I think those VDD line could be used to detect the undervoltage glitch. When the joycon shows, the voltage dropped from around 1.8V to 1.0V then 0.6V.

I still choose the cheapest price, cost do matter.
well we like hwfly because the flex function,is more friendly for us ( no professionals) to install then ,BUT i still cant figure out why they cant be updated via usb,today i try to update via toolbox,hope works because right now,return to seller is not a good option,we loose a lot of mopney in shipping,imort taxes,etc,i just hope can use those "weird chips) and then can use yours

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
well we like hwfly because the flex function,is more friendly for us ( no professionals) to install then ,BUT i still cant figure out why they cant be updated via usb,today i try to update via toolbox,hope works because right now,return to seller is not a good option,we loose a lot of mopney in shipping,imort taxes,etc,i just hope can use those "weird chips) and then can use yours
What do you mean with cant update via usb?

Reactions: EAGLE-1

EAGLE-1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Me every time I do tech support, why did I get into this?

see this

My latest work begs to differ on that last option.... as for speed that depends how fast I get parts.... most customer stuff if I already have the parts are sub 24 hours turn around for cheaper than what EBGames/Gamestop does, especially considering I work full time

I ordered mine a day or two before they went awol
your order those same mine right? so you dont have problems using then?? i mean most moderators here toll me they dont suport " those chips" and because i dont have an support still cant figure out if they need or no updated,in the store they say " pre installed firmwarethey say this in their website "All chip pre installed stable firmwares,suport all consoles directly! No suggest flash to unstable 0.7.2 !",The idea is when I run out of these chips to be able to use the ones that everyone in the group uses, BUT the flex option is very comfortable for those of us who are not professionals,so today i will try to update one of this chips via toolbox,i dont have more options,pc never see then,if the chip burns or dont acept the update i totally loss

What do you mean with cant update via usb?
The pc does not detect them, I have tried in all possible ways, I pressed the boot button, I did not press it and nothing, the pc does not see them, if I connect one of my old hwfly using the same cable, the same mini ubs port the pc does Go right away and I can update them without problem using the bat.bin file, unless of course I'm doing something wrong but it's not NASA science, that is, the PC should recognize them but it doesn't, only when the chip is connected to the switch turn on the leds

Last edited by EAGLE-1,
  • Haha
Reactions: LogicalMadness

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lesbians invented babies +2