Hacking Pasta CFW - A CFW that allows unsigned CIA to be installed on Old and New 3DS! (required ninjhax)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Actually, they were pretty close to hard-bricks. The 3DS just happens to have what's known as "Safe-Mode Firmware", which is usually untouched by system updates. As a result, it can boot into Safe-Mode and debrick the main 3DS firmware through its system update capabilities.
Well in these cases, almost hard-brick was totally not-brick due to the feature you mentioned. Let's not forget the cause of them was only available for less than 24 hours as well.

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well in these cases, almost hard-brick was totally not-brick due to the feature you mentioned. Let's not forget the cause of them was only available for less than 24 hours as well.
For the intended purpose, it may as well been a hard brick for those affected, ha ha. And I only too well remember. My 2DS was a victim as well. I got it home from the pawn shop, booted it up, got a NAND backup, and grabbed the "latest" version of SysUpdater that day, which had only been released 3 minutes before I checked it out. I didn't think anything of it, so I just assumed it was all good. I guess I should've been skeptical when I saw the "completely re-coded from the ground up to increase stability and fix bugs" section of the change log, and that's almost never good until a few updates later down the line. Anyway, I bricked it, and fought with all my PCs to get the NAND recognized after hard-modding it myself. All in all though, it was fun to have something to work on. Might've been inconveniencing, but it was overall a fun learning experience, and got me to finally start hard-modding my 3DSes. Silver linings are always a treat, ha ha

Reactions: Margen67 and zoogie

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I see, can you send me a photo of how it looks, maybe I'll do it afterall :)

150429013859380298.jpg

Reactions: Margen67 and Idaho

sgtkwol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys a little update: yesterday my PC's hdd has broken and i'm now stuck in bios. Once my SATA to Usb cable arrives, i'll try to backup my hdd and then i'll RMA the whole PC (to get a ne hdd for free ;)). This takes 2 weeks. Pasta development, on my side, will be difficult, because i have to work on a 10.1 inch windows 8.1 tablet, with an Intel Atom as CPU. I'll do my best to finish the arm9 GUI stuff as quick as possible, though.
No excuses. Program using BIOS, man. I love fake heckling the devs. :O

Reactions: AlbertoSONIC

kat13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Yeah, you just need to downgrade your 3DS to 4.5 in order to use an unreliable CFW (PBT) to install a CIA installer, and use a third-party program that has caused some bricks in the past (sysUpdater) to get back to 9.2 to use pasta from another entry point. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Have a question 2All. I have a 2DS (6.0.0 and no down-gradable), is it senselessly to wait "entry point" in my case?

Last edited by kat13,

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That game costs around 40 euro, if i add some cash i could buy gateway instead of cubic ninja (for O3ds). I remain for now with platine cfw.

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have a question 2All. I have a 2DS (6.0.0 and no down-gradable), is it senselessly to wait "entry point" in my case?

Spider is being actively worked on, just hold tight. In the mean time, get a NAND backup with the Gateway launcher and keep it somewhere safe.

Reactions: zoogie

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spider is being actively worked on, just hold tight. In the mean time, get a NAND backup with the Gateway launcher and keep it somewhere safe.
"Not downgradable" means that it can't run the GW launcher which means it can't run Spider...

zoogie

Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
No. He said he has a 2DS, and AFAIK it is not downgradable.
It is actually. I downgraded my 2ds to 4.5 from 9.2 with sysupdater.

Bad news it that the result was like a science experiment gone terribly wrong. The top screen was stretched 2x so I could only see half of it. Mset exploit was broken. Couldn't change the wifi on/off but luckily I left it on before the downgrade so I could reflash a backup and fix the abomination.

I think a 6.0 downgrade would probably work fine but I'm really not in the mood to try it out now. :P

Last edited by zoogie,
Reactions: Margen67

powersaver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just because Spider is being worked on doesn't mean it will be ready and/or released anytime soon. Ha!

Yes, it's better to purchase Sky3DS rather than CN (with an inflated price) just for Ninjahax and PastaCFW.
That game costs around 40 euro, if i add some cash i could buy gateway instead of cubic ninja (for O3ds). I remain for now with platine cfw.

zoogie

Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
i don't suppose pasta lets you extract xorpads when on 9.2?
You can access decrypt9 directly through the browser without even using pasta. Just use GW spider for 9.x set to load Launcher.dat.
You can probably use brahma to load the arm9payload version of decrypt9 as well.

pasta just allows you to run CIAs, which currently there is no way to access arm9 things yet.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You can access decrypt9 directly through the browser without even using pasta. Just use GW spider for 9.x set to load Launcher.dat.
You can probably use brahma to load the arm9payload version of decrypt9 as well.
don't suppose there's a guide anywhere?

Reactions: Margen67

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
use ctrtool:
Code:
ctrtool -t exefs --exefsdir=./extractedexefs exefs.bin

Just tried it and yes, it works. Then, when you rename "code.bin" to "code.gba", the rom run in a emulator (and the rom extracted is exactly the same as the original one).

So I bet if you replace the rom, modifiy the footer and rebuild it, it should work.

Here's what the footer looks like for "Metroid Fusion (J)" : http://pastebin.com/cTwH0VRV

Last edited by davhuit,

X-ite_SDF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Just tried it and yes, it works. Then, when you rename "code.bin" to "code.gba", the rom run in a emulator (and the rom extracted is exactly the same as the original one).

So I bet if you replace the rom, modifiy the footer and rebuild it, it should work.
In theory, yes. In practice, however, even after replacing rom, editing footer and correcting all hashes, it still didn't want to work. Maybe I'm just missing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny