Opening .bppt files?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Codename, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Codename
    OP

Codename GREEN BRO IS BEST BRO

Feb 21, 2012
    Canada
    I got a copy of Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest 3 - Taikaizoku to Shippo Dan, which is the Japan-exclusive sequel to Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime 2 that we got in US and EU. I decrypted and extracted it's RomFS, and I think I've managed to track down the subfolder where all the text is stored. In RomFS/data/Game/Puppet/, there are a bunch of folders with names of the different stages and different story cutscenes and tutorials. Inside each of those folders are numerous .bppt files, which I believe are the text files. The only issue is, I have no idea how to open them. I searched up the extension name and got nothing. Tried opening with a text editor, just got jumbled text, nothing at all that looked legible. I tried opening them with hex editors, but found nothing useful, except that each file begins with the text "TPPB", which is obviously the name of the file format reversed. I have no idea how to parse these files. If anyone could help or give me any ideas, I would be really glad. Once I manage to be able to view these unorthodox text files, I will be able to begin translating the game. So please, please help me with this problem.

2. DrZhark

DrZhark Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2013
    Canada
    Have you had any luck with it? I have no idea how to help you with that file format, but I'm dying to play that game. The Rocket slime for the DS was one of the games I enjoyed the most for that device.

3. admirzuza

admirzuza Member

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2010
    can you upload an example of .bppt file?

4. CakeLancelot

CakeLancelot Member

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2016
    United States
    I too created an account wondering about this as well. These files seem to be most likely place for the game's text.
    While I could provide an example of the file I don't know if it's against the rules or not. (I hope bumping this thread isn't frowned upon either)

Codename likes this.
  5. Codename
    OP

Codename GREEN BRO IS BEST BRO

Feb 21, 2012
    Canada
    I suppose that sharing a single text file, perhaps hosted on another website (like pastebin?), wouldn't hurt. Maybe ask one of the mods if it's okay?