• Total voters

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's the safest method if you want to manage all steps yourself.
CCproxy is not bad too, you can control the filtering in real time, see access logs, etc.
if anything's wrong, it's faster to shutdown the proxy to cut internet access.

Ah, a note about the proxy too : not every application are using the proxy options set in the settings.
for example, you can shutdown the proxy while netflix is running and it will not break the streams.
vWii homebrew are also not using the proxy. (usbloadergx can download cover and auto update even if you don't enable ccproxy)
So, the proxy is good but not 100% secure to block all internet access. probably when it's connecting using the IP instead of urls. not all URLs are detected either.

For full security, a network card connected to your computer could be used instead of your router. then all traffic would pass through the card which can be monitored (winpcap, sniffing packets, etc.)
That's not necessary for what users want to achieve here, we only want to block NUS access to prevent updates. If other application can access network that's not an issue.

Reactions: 2manyGames2play

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The new topic should be: DNS VS Proxy

Both seem to work for most users, but still not entirely sure which one is best. I just got my Wii U and it's on 1.0.3, would hate to have it update one day.

So I tried that Spanish forum's proxy and it seemed to have worked. Normally Eshop would ask for an update (On 3DS). But now when I connect with the proxy enabled it gets an error.
What's strange is that if I use freemultipatcher in emunand (3DS), it can actually connect to Eshop. Even Tubehax DNS can connect after using FreeMultiPatcher.

Overall the proxy and DNS seem to be working, but still blows my mind to see it connect to Eshop one way or another.

2manyGames2play

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Ah, a note about the proxy too : not every application are using the proxy options set in the settings.
for example, you can shutdown the proxy while netflix is running and it will not break the streams.
vWii homebrew are also not using the proxy. (usbloadergx can download cover and auto update even if you don't enable ccproxy)
So, the proxy is good but not 100% secure to block all internet access. probably when it's connecting using the IP instead of urls. not all URLs are detected either.

For full security, a network card connected to your computer could be used instead of your router. then all traffic would pass through the card which can be monitored (winpcap, sniffing packets, etc.)
That's not necessary for what users want to achieve here, we only want to block NUS access to prevent updates. If other application can access network that's not an issue.

So.. as long as all NUS related domains are listed, CCProxy does an OK job.

However, i don't think full security/protection can be achieved, because you always will have to monitor stuff and make sure nothing new passes the filter.

With that in mind i doubt an ultimate solution even exists (unless you don't mind blocking/filtering out crazy amounts of domains using wildcards).

The new topic should be: DNS VS Proxy

I still haven't made up my mind :-)

Last edited by 2manyGames2play,
Reactions: MattKimura

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So.. as long as all NUS related domains are listed, CCProxy does an OK job.

However, i don't think full security/protection can be achieved, because you always will have to monitor stuff and make sure nothing new passes the filter.

With that in mind i doubt an ultimate solution even exists (unless you don't mind blocking/filtering out crazy amounts of domains using wildcards).

I still haven't made up my mind :-)

A friend of mine just gave me an idea. What if we just simply buy a USB to Ethernet adapter then plug it once we're in-game. Sounds like a VERY simply solution. I found an adapter for 6.99, gonna give it a try.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This thread is a DISASTER, Could We Get a STRAIGHT ANSWER PLEASE WITHOUT THE BS, We got moderators updating their shit, other people saying this, other people saying that, is Smealum properly blocking shit or not ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread is a DISASTER, Could We Get a STRAIGHT ANSWER PLEASE WITHOUT THE BS, We got moderators updating their shit, other people saying this, other people saying that, is Smealum properly blocking shit or not ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
According to all the votes for Tubehax DNS, it works good. Me personnally, with an idea from @Ronhero , I'm gonna try using a USB to ethernet adapter so I can simply unplug it after booting loadiine. Sounds like the best idea to me.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
According to all the votes for Tubehax DNS, it works good. Me personnally, with an idea from @Ronhero , I'm gonna try using a USB to ethernet adapter so I can simply unplug it after booting loadiine. Sounds like the best idea to me.
no it doesnt lol im preety sure the system update will download in the background and as soon as you exit a game it will install right after.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no it doesnt lol im preety sure the system update will download in the background and as soon as you exit a game it will install right after.
One thing that makes things easier is how LONG it takes to even initiate the update. It literally tells you that it's preparing for an update, giving you time to pull the plug. Sitting by your console, it can never get away with it.
Even though tubehax dns got so many votes, it's hard to trust. What do you use, Pedro?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
One thing that makes things easier is how LONG it takes to even initiate the update. It literally tells you that it's preparing for an update, giving you time to pull the plug. Sitting by your console, it can never get away with it.
Even though tubehax dns got so many votes, it's hard to trust. What do you use, Pedro?
then the update will be fully downloaded and next time you start your console it will update. Sure you can delete it by doing some tricks but the time on each boot to delete it its dangerous work.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
then the update will be fully downloaded and next time you start your console it will update. Sure you can delete it by doing some tricks but the time on each boot to delete it its dangerous work.
I've been using a proxy from this italian forum, being risky. It's said to be better than openDNS and tubehax DNS. So far whenever I go to downloads, it'll say "Status: Downloading" and Im able to go pause it. So I'm not even sure if this is working properly. It's like being trapped in the center, with nowhere to go as nothing works perfectly. And for something not to work perfectly, how is it useful at all.

We're all scared, with nowhere to go.

EDIT: Looked it up, when it says "Status: Downloading", this just means that it's in download mode. But nothing is being downloaded as there's nothing below it. It scared me for a sec.

Last edited by MattKimura,
Reactions: yuyuyup

pizzatime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I personally use the Reboot.ms proxy. All blocked URLs are indicated on the thread itself, under the "URL blocking on the router" procedure. Anyone can create their own URL blocking rules using the URLs indicated.
The Wii U tries to download the update if it knows it exist, but there isn't chance to succeed, after the setup I left my console in standby for weeks, connected to my wifi network, and it's still on 5.3.2. Definitely, in my case the proxy method really works. No private DNS added.
Same on 3DS: that proxy works on all 3DS' too.

Last edited by pizzatime,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
which thread? which indicated url are blocked?

there are multiple URLs which can be blocked, but they have different effect.
If you want to block ALL eshop access, then the URLs are already known from a long time (and they are all from gbatemp! other websites only copied our tutorials).
If you want to allow eShop access but block updates, then you need to block only some urls, not all the 5-6 URLs that everybody are using. Tubehax DNS is safe, except that it also block youtube.com

What I told in my other post : Tubehax is not safe if you use mixed solution (DNS + proxy).
it's not tubehax issue, it's user issue.

I also said that relying on someone else to do your work is not 100% secure, as you don't know what the other person can/will do.
DNS filtering URL can be edited, changed, removed. service can be droped at any time.
Third party's Proxy filtering is not secure as all your data pass through their servers (your login, passwords, visited website's data, etc.)

Do your job yourself, don't rely on someone else if you want 100% security and control.
If you don't want to do it yourself, then tubehax IS the best choice. no need to debate any longer.

Edit:
What I found is that reboot is using server's proxy, not DNS.
The website require registration to use their proxy.
Proxy is NOT secure ! you are sending your own information through the website's servers which can be sniffed. they know what you do and can read your data.

If you want to use a proxy, use you own setup proxy, follow CCProxy tutorial in the FAQ section.
Don't rely on other website proxy !

that's not a good practice to tell users to use a proxy instead of explaining how to setup one privately.

They are also provinding the URL to use if you want to block them with your router.
again, these URL are NOT allowing eshop access !!
Tubehax is allowing you to access and download application and DLC while blocking system updates.
Reboot's URL are blocking ALL eshop access.
La console non potrà più accedere all'eShop
The console won't be able to access eShop at all. <-- that's NOT what users want.

Reboot and Tubehax are two different things and are not used for the same purpose.
One does not replace the other.

It's the same as OpenDNS and TubeHax, that's two different filtering purpose, and you can't compare them in term of security.
they are two different things :

Block ALL eshop :
- OpenDNS (not safe)
- CCProxy (safe)
- router filter (safe)
- reboot.ms (safe if using your own router with provided URLs, safe but NOT secure if using their proxy)

allow eShop but block update:
- Tubehax (safe)
- possibly CCProxy and router too, I gave the URLs blocked by tubehax on the previous page.

fraret

A puffin
Trophies
Website
localhost
XP
Country
Does anyone know how to use a Raspberry pi as a DNS or proxy to blocks domains? I have one and I'd like to use it to set some sort of domain/IP blocker so I don't relay on TubeHax.

2manyGames2play

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@Cyan Is(n't) it a problem that nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net isn't redirected by TubeHax? Since u've mentioned it to be an Update download server and stated TubeHax to be safe ;-)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know.
I haven't trigger that url recently, but that's not like I'm updating the 3DS or WiiU often either.
Either it's not used by the 3DS (because it's main purpose is still the 3DS hax), or smealum didn't trigger that when he checked the accessed urls and didn't block it.

A lot of users are using the tubehax dns, and nobody reported unintentional update. so I guess it's safe without it. Though, I can't be 100% sure. just be careful and always verify or block auto-download.

Reactions: 2manyGames2play

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My new strategy is to go to download management as soon as I turn the system on. Then pause + Deactivate downloads so that no possible downloads can happen for as long as you're using the system, for a peace of mind. You can also keep track of updates this way and their overall progress. If you notice progress, then that's bad and you should use update remover.

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
wouldn't an SD card with built-in Wi-Fi better?
you can then access Loadiine payload without even connect to the internet?
never tried this, but it works like charm on my 3DS and Gateway Go exploit

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
for what he wants (loadiine only) yes.
if he wants eshop access to download channels or DLCs, it won't work. two solution : either you disable all filters and always check the download queue (use delete update if you see a system update progress bar), or use tubehax dns.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...