Homebrew OPEN_AGB_FIRM discussion thread

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now see I was saying that in jest but if you actually do it, you absolute madlad, I will have deep respect for you beyond what I already have
I need a 1tb nvme m2 ssd. I bought a 500 gb one, but it's not big enough for my disk image. Should have it fixed tomorrow.

pokota

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, but my remappable setup would be X - Select, A - Start, B - A, and Y - B. More ergonomically skewed towards the natural pivot of your right thumb that way, y'dig?
Did... did you just make an xbox layout joke?

EDIT: I'm thinking less about ergonomics and more about "fewest changes" philosophy - A on A, B on B, Start on X, Select on Y
1. Changes as few buttons as possible while still remapping start/select
2. Keeps the traditional relative positions of A and B
3. Grip-wise, this matches the SNES Final Fantasies, Final Fantasy VII's default layout on PS1, and Pokemon starting from Diamond/Pearl

Last edited by pokota,

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I might be able to do that, but my computer isn't working atm, so maybe tomorrow.

Pro tip: you can use interrupts to set buttons faster. Although sadly there is no unpress interrupt, so you can only unset buttons at VSync, and even then you might need to wait some time before actually releasing the buttons, so the game has time to process the button press.

While it might be ugly, you can unpress released buttons in the "scaler" driver, after the VSync event (that is sent by the "scaler" hardware, not 3DS LCD VSync!), there should come a DMA request event, pretty sure you can release the buttons after the 2nd DMA request event, almost all games should've read the input by that point.

spitzeqc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the build of latest commit. IPS and UPS patches can now automatically be applied to games by placing "<rom file name>.ips"/"<rom file name>.ups" in the same directory as the rom you are launching.

While it has been tested with "standard" sized games, it has not been thoroughly tested with games that are 1MiB (only the nes classic series?). If you know of any patches for these types of games (besides crack patches), please PM me the name of the game along with a link to the patch.

Alternatively, if you want to test it yourself, use the "debug" version of oaf (included) and:
  1. Manually apply the patch to the game
  2. Load this patched version and take note of the hash result (New hash: <hash>). This is the expected hash
  3. Load the game with the patch file in the (unpatched) game directory and launch it. You should see a message about a patch file being detected and applied. If you do not, make sure you have named the patch file correctly and repeat this step.
  4. Once the automatically patched version is loaded, take note of the hash result (New hash: <hash>). This is the actual hash result.
  5. Compare expected and actual hash results. If these hashes do not match, make sure you are looking at the correct hashes (oaf debug produces 2 hashes, you need to compare only the "new hash"), and make sure you are not applying the patch to an already patched rom. If you are still not getting matching hashes, PM me the name of the game and a link to the patch file (or update the code yourself to fix this issue. Why would you be looking at this otherwise? ;))

Attachments

• open_agb_firm.7z
    217.2 KB · Views: 56

epistaxis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the build of latest commit. IPS and UPS patches can now automatically be applied to games by placing "<rom file name>.ips"/"<rom file name>.ups" in the same directory as the rom you are launching.

While it has been tested with "standard" sized games, it has not been thoroughly tested with games that are 1MiB (only the nes classic series?). If you know of any patches for these types of games (besides crack patches), please PM me the name of the game along with a link to the patch.

Alternatively, if you want to test it yourself, use the "debug" version of oaf (included) and:
  2. Load this patched version and take note of the hash result (New hash: <hash>). This is the expected hash
  3. Load the game with the patch file in the (unpatched) game directory and launch it. You should see a message about a patch file being detected and applied. If you do not, make sure you have named the patch file correctly and repeat this step.
  4. Once the automatically patched version is loaded, take note of the hash result (New hash: <hash>). This is the actual hash result.
  5. Compare expected and actual hash results. If these hashes do not match, make sure you are looking at the correct hashes (oaf debug produces 2 hashes, you need to compare only the "new hash"), and make sure you are not applying the patch to an already patched rom. If you are still not getting matching hashes, PM me the name of the game and a link to the patch file (or update the code yourself to fix this issue. Why would you be looking at this otherwise? ;))
This is great. Now I don't have to worry about a changed CRC due to patching messing up save detection.

Teddie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Wow! Works very good, tested some patches like dkc color restoration patch and crash nitro kart english patched and they both works excellent, but i have a question, when running open agb firm, does the 3ds headphone jack port works? just plugged a headphone but audio still keeps coming out from the speakers, the headphone works alright when i normally boot the 3ds btw

pokota

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The headphone detection is "incorrect" - it doesn't properly detect a TRRS plug (plugs with four sections); it's known and a fix is in the works. In the meantime, use a headset that's just stereo (or any with just three sections), not stereo+mic.

Reactions: Teddie

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
A while ago i read in one of the issues if you have a headset with 4 pins and buttons, pressing and holding the buttons can help with detection.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this has already been asked.

A lot of Pokemon ROM hacks seem to need their save type set to Flash 128k to function properly, but I don't see that in the config list for OAF. Would any of the other options work the same way?

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this has already been asked.

A lot of Pokemon ROM hacks seem to need their save type set to Flash 128k to function properly, but I don't see that in the config list for OAF. Would any of the other options work the same way?
Flash 128 KByte and 1 Mbit are the same thing, open_agb_firm just uses the bit sizes instead of bytes in the README:
README said:
    • 10, 12: Flash 1m RTC
    • 11, 13: Flash 1m

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I was playing need for speed remastered and said to myself this is a nice Forza remaster